Rock metal guy needs iems to sleep in
Jun 21, 2010 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13
Hey Guys & Gals.
I Have been browsing this forum on and off for a year or more. Last year i brought some ie6. The hope was i could sleep with them on, problem is the over ear cable is uncomfortable for me. So i started searching for a new pair and ended up with the q jays because they are so small. But guess what? as i suspected the base was not enough for my liking. Fortunately Jays will refund me
smile.gif
. Here's the thing my senn 300s were great for comfort lying on my side but the sound was not. The ie6 sound okay, bit base heavy but not to bad.
So i have about £100($150) about what i paid for the ie6s.
The Type of music i listen to is "tool" "Pink floyd", "AC/DC" "Shinedown", " Muse", "Blackstone cherry", "Iron maiden" Etc
I have been looking at a few on the Internet. The Atrios appear to have the right sound from what i have been reading in this forum and possibly UE super.fi 5 But i think they might protrude a bit to much. Maybe i am wrong on that score.
What about the Beyerdynamic dtx80s? 
So there is the conundrum people what do you think?   

Jun 22, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 13
I don't know if they have the sound you're looking for, but lost of people say the Soundmagic PL-50 is comfortable and thin enough to sleep in.

More here.

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 13
I just sold off my super.fi 5 pros because of that same thing, they protrude too much to sleep on my side. I don't have any experience with the Beyerdynamics, but if you're using an amp I can heartily recommend the HiFiMAN RE1, as they are comfortable for sleeping and have full bass, and a large, relaxed soundstage. They definitely need an external amplifier to sound their best, but even the Fiio E5 will do the job nicely.

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 13
The Atrios don't sit flat, so there are better options for sleeping than them.

Jun 22, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 13
I had heard that the pl50 sit quite flat and i had also heard they may have a sound close to what i am looking for but i am quite against the over the ear cable, although with the ie6 it is more the over cable guide that causes discomfort. I tried to use them without the guide but they come out of my ears. I do not want the same to happen with another over the ear pair. 
I do not want to buy an additional amp so i guess that rules out any iems that need one.
Its a pity there are no reviews of the beyerdynamic dtx80s all i know of them is the higher the number ie dtx60 dtx80 dtx100 the less basey the are.They do look a similar profile to senn cx300.
I have to admit i have searched this forum before looking at old threads but have never been able to resolve the question. 
If it helps i do like the sound from my porta pros.
Any other head-fiers got suggestions?

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 13
Sensaphonics soft silicone IEMs are low profile, sonically strong, and extremely comfortable.
2X-S and 2MAX are designed dual driver designs with a neutral, reference-style signature (2MAX is more sensitive).
The 3MAX (triple driver) is more bass-intensive, and has even higher sensitivity.

These are custom and price-y, and designed for stage use by musicians (not specifically marketed to the audiophile segment, though there are pockets of fandom). Other customs are generally made with hard acrylic shells, which are not especially comfy, offer less isolation and tend to lose their seal (and thus, their bass response). But I digress.

I can't address the universal market, as I haven't returned there since getting my customs. Properly fit and inserted, custom molds make a world of difference IMHO.

Full disclosure: Sensaphonics is a client of mine, so take the above with a grain of salt. Good luck in your hunt.

Jun 27, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #9 of 13
Have you considered a pair of earbuds? For sleeping that's probably the most comfortable option. I've got a pair of Yuin PK3's ($40.00 U.S.) and they sound incredible for earbuds. No, they're not as warm and eveloping as my Sennheiser HD238 and they're not as clear sounding as my Shure SCL4's, but they are supremely comfortable.

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #10 of 13
I love my MEElectronics for sleeping. I don't notice the over the ear wire and because they are over the ear with a memory wire, they never fall out. I fall asleep to Metallica and wake up with Trivium playing. Ahh, so soothing.
wink_face.gif

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #11 of 13
Doesn't PL-50 lack the bass for rock music?

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #12 of 13
Too much bass will overpower the guitar and drums. Some here have said they prefer the MTPC over the MTPG's for rock because of this. It kind of goes against my first assumption, but makes sense when you think about it.

Jun 28, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 13
Hi guys & gals.
Been hunting the internet a lot this weekend. I think Jozurr might be right about the pl-50s lacking enough base for my tastes, the same may also be true of the super-fi 4s to the extent that i do not want to chance them.
i did find one review of beyerdynamics dtx100 but not much conclusive.
As you can probably tell i am really quite put off anything that needs over the ear.
I had a look at the meelectronics m6 and the review said very comfortable but some messing about trying to get a good fit, i don't like the sound of that in the dark just before bed.
One good  thing about the ie6 is the sound leakage is quite minimal which is a good thing, because i do not get a dig in the ribs from the wife for disturbing her beauty sleep. So that is just one more requirement to the list. I guess that might now rule out earbuds because i would assume they leak to much sound (but thanks for the try dsf3g). 
I will keep looking. Finding iems that meet my daft requirements is turning out to be a right mission, but i keep telling myself  there has to be something out there! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back