ROCK JAW AUDIO: Resonate IEM – The Grand Tour
Apr 19, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #108 of 122
Two glorious days left with the US Resonate's, and I am making the most of it!

Writing as I listen. Good stuff, and thank you again for this opportunity!

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #110 of 122
I think I'm next in line in the UK, but I'm not in a hurry. :wink: @Takeanidea can take his sweet sweet time.
etysmile.gif

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #111 of 122
US Resonate on the way back east to NYC and jant71

It was a great week, and the review will be up by the end of the weekend.:sunglasses:

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #112 of 122
no news on my part here, things are so quiet

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #114 of 122
Apr 26, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #116 of 122
Okay, seems we can post again, lol! So, I got the Resonate in from ngoshawk. Have been doing some listening and getting the hang of them. Thanks again to Rockjaw and ngoshawk!

Apr 26, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #117 of 122
Muddling through the changes, we are...

Apr 29, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #118 of 122
I have had my hands on the Resonate for a few days and they are likable but a bit lacking in a few areas. my review will probably come tomorrow but in the spirit of Rockjaw wanting to know what makes a better earphone I'll talk about what I would like the Resonate to ideally be. This is based on the discount going away so the price being the full US$159.

I like the presentation. Clean and handsome box with foam insert. When we get to the accessories, I feel a bit let down. $159 needs a case instead of a pouch and the main silicone tips are similar to the Trinity ones and have the same issue of not being that good a choice to give the earphones the best SQ. Also the narrower shape isn't great for a shallow inserting earphone.

The Resonate is more shallow insertion due to the filters being a bit short combining with the narrow tapering tips. I would have liked the filters a bit longer to allow a bit deeper insertion. Especially since the armature is a bit on the bright side so a better seal with certain tips would be nicer than not having it and the brightness being accentuated.

That brings me to the filters which, correct me, seem to only change the bass more than the treble. I like the reference filter but with brighter sources or some volume levels the resonate can be shouty. I hear, as ngoshawk did, the brightness still there with the other filters. More treble reduction would be welcome.

The cable, I'll have to say, it the least favorite of all things i have on hand at the moment. The cloth covering adds noise and likes to kink up a bit. Even with the cloth covering it is a thin cable and the upper half loves to tangle up. no cord slider as well.

So, for the no holds barred straight up critique I would, at the same price point, like to see a more agreeable set of tips, a hard case, a bit more tuning control for the highs, and an improved cable that lays better and has less noise.

On the plus side, as I said, I like the presentation. The design is nice both in the styling and shape. With the right tips the fit is easy and comfortable. The sound is both capable and enjoyable. I do like them overall even if I feel some things could be improved to make them the best they can be :)

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #119 of 122
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back