Robert Cray Fans?
Mar 6, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly. I've never heard Robert Cray live, but even on disc he sounds too safe and calculated, as if he were working to get a crossover top 40 hit.

As for Showdown!, it is a fun and enjoyable CD. I'm a big Albert Collins fan, and all 3 guitarists get to shine in their own ways, although I think Cray's guitar solos pale in comparison with either Collins or Copeland.

Agreed! I saw Albert Collins, the master of the telecaster, in a small club, he was fantastic. Robert Cray is to blues what Pat Boone was to Rock and Roll. He's making the blues more accessible to the general public, but IMHO his chops are soulless.

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #17 of 26
You guys are nuts! Just because he doesn't rip like SRV or Albert Collins doesn't mean that he's "soulless" or "boring." He does have a bit of R&B in his blues but his tone and phrasing are incredible! There's more than one kind of blues guitar playing out there.

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #18 of 26
I have no problems with him as a player. It has nothing to do with "shredding'' abilities. He has great tone and phrasing. He sings quite well too. It's just that he writes terrible songs and his band is extremely dull. When I listen to Cray's albums after listeing to something like Buddy Guy, "Left My Blues in San Francisco", Junior Wells, "Pleading The Blues" or Muddy Waters, ''Hard Again'', I feel like I'm listening a different genre of music that isn't quite the blues.

Mar 6, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no problems with him as a player. It has nothing to do with "shredding'' abilities. He has great tone and phrasing. He sings quite well too. It's just that he writes terrible songs and his band is extremely dull. When I listen to Cray's albums after listeing to something like Buddy Guy, "Left My Blues in San Francisco", Junior Wells, "Pleading The Blues" or Muddy Waters, ''Hard Again'', I feel like I'm listening a different genre of music that isn't quite the blues.

I agree, pop/am blues or something.

Mar 7, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys are nuts! Just because he doesn't rip like SRV or Albert Collins doesn't mean that he's "soulless" or "boring." He does have a bit of R&B in his blues but his tone and phrasing are incredible! There's more than one kind of blues guitar playing out there.

Nuts? Now the gloves are off
evil_smiley.gif

Blues guitar playing is from the soul, deep down inside. Even a blues enthusiast who doesn't play an instrument can feel the blues down to his/her toes. Most people don't get affected by it or want to scream out in the audience because it gives them chills, except for the few of us that really get it, and are truly moved by it.
It's not only a genre, it's an emotion. This is why Eric Clapton is so good, because between his heroin years, his best friend and son dying, and loving someone else's wife, he's lived the blues and sings the song.

BB King grew up poor and lived the blues with all of his heart and soul.

When Jimmy Hendrix played live and people screamed out, "Play Foxy Lady", he barked back at them, "I'm not a jukebox, man!"

Robert Cray is a good pentatonic scales guitarist, but I feel he lacks the emotion and songwriting skills of a master bluesman.

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #21 of 26
I'm curious why if he is soulless and just an average player Clapton chooses to work with him whenever he puts together a serious blues band (like the Albert Hall shows). His playing is more subtle than many other guitarists, but I think he plays with real emotion, not just the same riffs over and over.

Mar 24, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #22 of 26
I like his music. I just purchased "Live from Across the Pond". He opened for Eric Clapton at a concert in Charlotte, NC several months ago. The man can play, but the best part of the show was Eric Clapton, Dirk Trucks and Robert Cray all on stage playing. That was guitar playing like I've heard before!

Mar 25, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #23 of 26
I saw him about 15 years ago. He opened up for Albert Collins at a club in Toronto. Blew me away. No one should be able to sing and play the guitar like that at the same time.

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:
Absolutely love this guys tunes. Sounds incredible on my Grados too.

Anyone else?

Yep...love him to death.

"Coffee for my breakfast, shot of whiskey on the side"

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #26 of 26
Yep, I picked up the MFSL version of Strong Persuader...great stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back