RnB Audio Sennheiser cable impressions
Sep 24, 2005 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

PFKMan23

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently purchased RnB's custom cable (7.5') for my Senns and I have to say thate even after only around 50 or so hours of burn in, they sound amazing. Even with my limited resources, I do feel that the the souundstage is bigger and more expanded as compared to the stock cable. The spectrum was expanded giving greater clarity to each instrument and bring out the subtleties of the artist's voice

Josh Groban's "You Raise Me Up":

The RnB cable as compared to the stock HD650 cable is less muddy as comapred to the stock cable and accentuates the nuances is Josh's voice like the longer notes where vibrato is fairly evident. It also presents the song in a much more engaging manner with greater clarity both from Josh and the instruments/accompaniment of the piece.

Josh Groban "To Where to You Are":

Not much difference from my other coments, this cables gives greater dynamic contrast as well as greater differntiation in regrads to the accmpanying instruments. This is in contrast to the stock cable, in which they sound much more as a mismash, in lieu of distinct instruments wit htheir own tonal qualities.

Lux Aeterna from The Rutter Requiem:

Just like my previous comments the RnB cable paired with the HD650s seems to give greater clarity to the singers, especially the soloist, when he goes up and hits the high A in this piece and the third movement Pie Jesu. It gives a warmth that is not evident when using the stock cable, but that is also apparent when actually performing the peice (I've performed it as a choir member

Equipment:

Sony - D-368 portable CD player
Sennheiser HD650 headphones with RnB Audio 7.5' cable terminated with a 1/4" plug and a 1/4" to 1/8" converter

The buying experince was equally as productive. Myo answred all of my questions and worked wigth me extensively to ensure that I had the best set upu for my needs and was nice enough to explain the differences between his products and others.

Sep 25, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 33
No amp for the Senns?
eek.gif

I have actually heard some people who find them quite pleasant without an amp actually, and I had 580's for years running out of a portable CD player, before I'd even heard of a headphone amp.

Though, the sound and tonal balance of the Senns changes so much IMO with a nice amp that it's hard for me to relate to your impressions. How much does the cable cost? And do you know anything about the construction?

Sep 25, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 33
I'm fully aware of the other reivew. These are my own impressions. I will also say that the other review was the key player in my decision to the the RnB cable over the Zu Mobius as those were my two candidates at the time. You can consider this an addenum of sorts or not, as my preferences and equipment do vary from that of PsychoZX. I don't really consider this a formalized reivew. I will probably do an update when I get an amp for my system.

Personally, in that particular review, I liked how he though that the mid range was better than that of the Zu Mobius. I have had a chance to demo several Zu products (including the Mobius) and I find that both the Zu Mobius and the RnB cable are quite good, but I love how the RnB cables give a much livelier sound to my cans.

I think that the build quality is very good. You can also derive some impressions from Psycho's review. Admittedly so, I know that my impressions are quite weak, as compared to the other review.

Getting back to the issue of build quality, I was apprehensive given that it is more flexible than the Zu Mobius, howver the build qualty is second to none and it seems to be a quality product. For me, at times I do wish the material used to encase the actual wiring was stiffer like the Zu Mobius, but for someone like me who does tend to fiddle with things, I do realize that in the long ruun, a more flexible encasing is better.

And yes, I know the heretical nature of having no amp with something like the Hd650s. I was a bit concerned about that issue as I do plan to get an amp (I'm on the Hornet list and also plan to get a more stationary enclosure). I was thinking about this when writing this up and now maybe I feel like I should go crawl back into my little lurker hole. But alas, I do find the sound quite stunning, even with my limited set up.

PS: If the pics in Psycho's review don't satisfy you or you'd like pics of my cable, cans or whatever, I'd be happy to provide them.

Sep 25, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
I'm fully aware of the other reivew. These are my own impressions.

Oh, I hope you didn't think I was implying your review was lacking or insufficient in any way. I found your review to be very well done actually. I just threw the link to PsychoZX's review for TheSloth because he was asking about cost and construction, which PsychoZX touched on a little in his review.

Sep 25, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 33
Ehh no worries. I'm just hoping to give the community a second viewpoint about this product. And to be quite honest, I might get another cable, just to see the differences.

Sep 25, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #8 of 33
Indeed he is. I have both of his US release CDs (Josh Groban and Closer). I find that his music pairs well with the HD650s and the RnB Sennheiser cable and enhances the correct areas (of the auditory spectrum and the vocal spectrum) and brings out the nuances of his voice. I'm sure that a good amp and a better soruce would go a ways in expanding to that end as well.

Sep 25, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #9 of 33
I didnt know about him until a good friend of mine introduced me to his work. My friend is also starting out with his singing career working with Christian contemporary music.

I very much so respect your taste in music. Thank you for sharing.

Sep 30, 2005 at 8:14 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

I liked how he though that the mid range was better than that of the Zu Mobius.

It wasn't a huge gap between the two in that department but vocals and acuostic instruments did sound a bit better on the RnB180's cable.

Quote:

PS: If the pics in Psycho's review don't satisfy you or you'd like pics of my cable, cans or whatever, I'd be happy to provide them.

I will be updating my review thread with more pics in the next few days.

Oct 1, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #11 of 33
Honestly, I'm really bugged. I have half a mind to order some 2.5 meter Zu Mobius cables just as an impulse buy. Then again, I've been flirting with the MPX3 SLAM as an impulse buy

As far as the vocals and instruments go, I am curious if the fact that I have my cans woodied also plays a factor. In my mind, I've used my cans woodies on and woodies off and the sound does seem to be different between the two. To me it seems that the vocals are instruments do sound more forward and with greater clarity. I just wish I could have gone to the San Jose meet in order to compare notes.

Oct 1, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #12 of 33
I have a pair of woodies for my senns too.

I prefer the stock open design senn cups for vocal accuracy and precision sound stage for acoustic music more so. I prefer my senn woodies for aesthetics
smily_headphones1.gif

though for musical accuracy and transparency, I shouldve just gotten screened woodies. Ive found the closed cups, shrinks sound stage and increase bass response and vocals are more distant. Nice for dance/club music. not good for acoustic and vocal heavy music.

If you have open screened versions of the woodies, I do not think the sound stage would be effected too differently. But definately, if I had to choose between the open screen woodies or closed cup woodies, Id go for the screened woodies.

then you have to take into consideration synergy with amp, source, cabling and your personal ears.

What you are experiencing is the upgrade bug
smily_headphones1.gif
. It can become quite costly, Ive learned to be happy with what I have, as I can not afford to constantly upgrad, if you can afford to, Id say go for it, Id be interested in your comparisons. but Id definately invest in an amplifier first.

Oct 1, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #13 of 33
Honestly, I think that there are many factors, some of which are subjective. I prefer the sound of my cans woodied, as I find the presentation to be more forward and more engaging. I personally don't find the sound to be more distant,although depending on the artist, I thkn that some individuals do have that more distant sounding voice that can yeild an artificial extra amount of spaciousness.

Oct 1, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #15 of 33
I have closed cup Paduak woodies in the standard depth. When I was deciding on whether to go standard or deep depth, I found that for me the deep depth woodies just looked too odd. Althjough given that I very well might get a second pair, I'd probably get those woodied and I might opt for deep depth. *shrugs*

I'll see about getting some pics up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back