RME or M-Audio vs Digital out with ext DAC
Feb 10, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by LeasingGuy

Damn, I thought the Audigy 2 ZS was the solution. So what’s my bit-perfect digital output soundcard that won’t destroy my 3d gaming experience? This is not as easy as I thought it should be.

Grab a sonica, they are like 50 bucks, are bit-perfect, and you can run it to a nice expensive dac for audiophile quality sound.

Feb 10, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #32 of 37
The Sonica is USB and toshlink?
COuts_sonica_CC228.jpg

Is this a good solution?

Solude, you believe the $80 Revo is a better DAC than the GDA-700? I replaced it with a Musical Fidelity A3.2 24 DAC but the Adcom always sounded great in my systems. Is the Revo that good or are you an Adcom hater....

Feb 11, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #33 of 37
Sad but true, the M-Audio was better than my Adcom. I am NOT an Adcom hater though, I've always loved Adcom but since they switched over to mainly HT I've gone to Arcam and Acurus for my high performance, high value components. Hell I worked my way up to the 'Gold Badge' trio but had to sell because of the heat and space considerations(bachelor's apartment).

Actually I don't think ANY company has better service than Adcom, I've had incredible support from them right up to the VP level when I had problems with a reseller here in Ottawa. Should also mention AudioShop here took very good care of me, putting me in touch with the Adcom VP directly.

Sadly great DACs from 97 just don't stack up to above average ones from 02. Digital has come a long way, anolog not so much. So amps from 97 are still great bargains but not digital gear. My Arcam sells for much less than the GDA-700 did but its a no contest as to which is better.

Looks like M-Audio released the Audiophile version of the FireWire and they are available here in Canada for ~$400 so might have to try it out.

Feb 11, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

I was reading a thread over at AVS forum and came across this

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm RETURNING the Revolution because it is the only M-Audio product that does not do ASIO via the SPDIF
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He is getting the audiophile 24/96 so he wont have the resampling to 48 Khz.

Whoever posted that is out to lunch. I can vouch for the Revo's ability to do kernel streaming and ASIO output. Perhaps he was using a *really* old version of the drivers, but that's no excuse. (Unless that's an ancient post)

Feb 11, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #35 of 37
Thanks good to know. The thread was from yesterday. You can view the post here.

I like the Adcom piece, It's been in the closet for about 2 years. It sounded great until I upgrated to the big Dyn's and the MF dac
wink.gif
I figure it would be decent in my den for PC usage. I live in the same town as John Hillig of Musical Concepts and he did up a Pioneer DVD-525 as a transport and did some serious mods to the GDA-700. It's a shame to just let it set in the closet and it's only worth about $200-$300 on Agon.

All this great information and Im still not any closer, but I am getting a whole lot smarter...

Thanks Again Guy's and Gal's

Feb 11, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #36 of 37
Hmm... Come to think of it I use Kernel Streaming and not ASIO... Maybe the Revo drivers still do have an issue with ASIO. It doesn't really matter though, since you can accomplish the same thing via another route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back