RME ADI-2 Pro - DAC, Headamp, an a lot of more stunning features
Feb 18, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #212 of 594
Yes, I'm using stock power supply. will try to find out how to measure its temperature.

The heat you describe sounds like it's in the vicinity of 55 degrees C. If it were over 60 you probably wouldn't be able to hold your hand on it for a long time (old time rule of thumb for checking transformers, etc.)

Feb 19, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #213 of 594
You shouldn't have an issue using it like that. I think others thought you wanted to have usb and another input playing out to your monitors at the same time.

Yeah I was worrying for nothing, I just plugged the XLR in the outputs with in the USB connected and turned the unit on, it automatically changed to USB mode and to Main Out 1/2, totally fine. RME thinks of literally everything lol, I have nothing but praise for the ADI-2 Pro and the Babyface Pro but also RME themselves. Since the new firmware update they even fixed pops with corrected relay timings for powering on and off.. speechless honestly. This will be my main unit for a long time!

I will be doing a comparison with the Hugo 2 this week, my unit is arriving tomorrow. :)

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #214 of 594
I was set to purchase this unit until I read the owners manual. You can't use the volume control and it still play DSD files.

Feb 19, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #216 of 594
@jtwrace Unless the ADI-2 Pro is wildly different from the DAC, you can. DSD Direct only allows line out with no volume adjustment, but normal DSD mode allows volume changes (which means it converts it to PCM internally).
Yes, it down sampling seems counterproductive to me. I want to play DSD files not change them! There are many very good pre/dacs with remote that can play them so that's the route I'll go. I was really wanting this but it's a no go for my reason. Oh well.

Feb 20, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #217 of 594
The process is not 'downsampling' but normal and a de-facto industry standard. It happens directly within the DAC chip. RME was the first one to openly point out the simple fact that for many years DSD listeners have been fooled (or fooled themself) when thinking they got pure DSD. It was the latest DAC chip generation that provided an addtional option called DSD Direct where the last step of PCM conversion within the DAC chip could be bypassed. This option can be activated in the ADI-2 Pro and DAC, but disables the digital volume control.

Good luck in finding a Direct DSD DAC with analog volume control. Most manufacturers that you will ask don't even know how their units work internally, or will come up with BlaBla responses. Your Mytek Brooklyn claims to do DSD Direct, even with digital volume control (!), and that's why there is some debate where some think what ESS is doing inside their chips can not be called DSD Direct.

There you go....

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #218 of 594
Once you have the ADI you will most probably notice that you don't need the v281 anymore. :astonished:

Might be a very old post that I backtracked but is the difference really that small? Was tempted to get one for a while but if I miss out on just the last 1-3% squeeze of performance I think I'll just stop worrying about it altogether. :thinking:

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #219 of 594
Okay, first thought now that I burned in the Hugo 2 a bit, there's so much clarity and definition, the ADI-2 Pro seems a bit warmer in comparison and loses some detail. But what really blows my mind and is unlike anything I've heard is a very nice presentation of background sounds, inhalations, posture adjustments in jazz and when we are talking about hip-hop and house some very obscure small samples that I've never noticed before, it also wins on texture and especially extension which makes it sound very "right" , the Hugo 2 seems to do it all just a tiny bit better.

It seemed like a rather nice improvement, and doesn't seem to slaughter bad recordings as well despite the added clarity, it is a bit brighter in general but nothing ear piercing on the records I tried. The ADI-2 seems to take a step back and has a more relaxed presentation especially with a warm-ish filter like SD Slow, the Hugo 2 on the other hand is even with the warm filter quite on the neutral side. What bothers me though is that there's no customization to the sound apart from the 4 filters Chord brings along with it and a cross-feed function that seems about equal on quality with the ADI-2 Pro. The ADI-2 in comparison has a load of options.

Although I'm not sure if the Hugo 2 upper treble (aka magic "Chord" treble) is colored which so many report, it is definitely a sight to behold when listening to it but I'm not quite sure if its exactly neutral like it is presented on the ADI-2 Pro.

This has all been tested with a Focal Clear with about 40 hours on it connected on both units with a normal unbalanced TRS connection and cables cables that came with the units connected to my PC's USB port (and a relatively cheap OFC double shielded USB cable from some weird german brand for the ADI)

All in all I really like the little thingy Chord made, both are very premium, one more designed for professional end goals than the other but despite that both are very enjoyable indeed, honestly I would recommend them both but I am a bit on the fence about the Hugo 2's power and price. I think a hungry planar would prove rather difficult to properly amp compared to the ADI-2 that has plenty of power on tap both unbalanced and balanced and price wise I think its kinda hard for me to justify the Hugo 2, I managed to get the ADI-2 Pro for 1200 euro brand new while the Hugo still retails for 2200(!).

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #220 of 594
C085766B-0609-4CD5-8284-62B195C3142F.jpeg

Another happy Adi-2 pro owner here )))

I was debating between Adi-2 DAC or Pro version, however came across very good deal on a used item (basically used Adi-2 Pro for the price of DAC). I don’t need a remote and listen to IEMs on the go only, so was not drooling over new Adi-2 DAC features.

This unit is outstanding. I had it for a week now and it’s really feature rich with excellent sound. I haven’t even gone over 1/10 of all its features yet.

Works very well with HD800 and Fostex TH900.

Feb 26, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #221 of 594
Wow, asked New Dyson Audio for a custom made version of their ADI-2 Pro balanced cable with UPOCC, litz, neutrik xlr and other goodies regarding the finish. And he gave me a price of $65 for it compared to the normal silver plated one for $42. What a steal, I was expecting a much higher price!

Can’t wait for it to get made and shipped.

http://stores.ebay.com/dysonaudio/

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #223 of 594
NickedWicked where can I find that price? I just found this RME brand, but looks very interesting!

It was a pretty personal deal unfortunately, my national web shop for pro gear (Bax-Shop) was recently selling everything for 10% off and I also have a company so VAT could be detracted. It was an offer I refused to pass up on, a steal for an excellent device!

I’m sure mint devices are very close in price second hand.

Feb 26, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #224 of 594
Thanks NickedWicked!
Here are some headamps I am considering for pairing with the Auralic Vega Dac and the Sennheiser HD800, if you have any insights please let me know.

Head+DAC:
- Sony ta zh1es
- Sennheiser HDV 820
- Chord Hugo 2 / Chord Hugo TT (2nd hand, much more expensive)
- RME Adi-2 Pro

Head-only:
- iFi Pro iCan
- Violectric v281
- Auralic Taurus mk II

If anyone was able to A/B any of these, please share your comments :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back