RME ADI-2 Pro - DAC, Headamp, an a lot of more stunning features
Feb 26, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #226 of 594
^ Get the ADI-2 Pro, you won't regret it. Feature wise, it's in a league of it's own compared to these others.

Depends on your needs. If you don’t need the analogue inputs I think most would be better off with the ADI-2 DAC at roughly half the cost and added remote control capability.

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #227 of 594
NickedWicked where can I find that price? I just found this RME brand, but looks very interesting!

Look at the used market - I found my unit in like new condition and only 6 months old for 1,000 Euro.

From the list you posted I only heard ifi Pro, Auralic Taurus, HDV800 (not 820) and original Chord Hugo with HD800. It was of course before I’ve purchased my adi-2 pro and was not in direct a/b comparison as a result. None of these units impressed me enough (I liked Jotunheim over Taurus; ifi Pro iCan is waaaay overpriced; HDV800 is a one-trick pony and with Hugo landing in very-very poor price to performance ratio) and I would would get adi-2 pro in a heartbeat judging by SQ alone.

Add all adi2 pro’s features to the list and units listed are not even in the same league.

It’s just my own opinion. YMMV etc.

PS. Or just get cheaper Adi-2 DAC if you are not planning to run your cans balanced.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #228 of 594
Thanks NickedWicked!
Here are some headamps I am considering for pairing with the Auralic Vega Dac and the Sennheiser HD800, if you have any insights please let me know.

Head+DAC:
- Sony ta zh1es
- Sennheiser HDV 820
- Chord Hugo 2 / Chord Hugo TT (2nd hand, much more expensive)
- RME Adi-2 Pro

Head-only:
- iFi Pro iCan
- Violectric v281
- Auralic Taurus mk II

If anyone was able to A/B any of these, please share your comments :)

I'd say the Sony TA-ZH1ES is a pretty fun sounding amp/dac with some nifty features but is too expensive for its somewhat lacklustre SQ compared to some cheaper or same priced units, haven't been able to hear the Sennheiser but I heard good things about it. The Hugo is overpriced and a bit overhyped, with a nicely matching headphone like a Focal Clear it can sound great but with some combinations like the AFO or a HD 650 it just sound peaky and harsh and the filters unfortunately don't seem to do much to relieve it, in the end it very much depends on your headphone is what I noticed, also some problems with the USB drivers for Windows which are really bad and even add crackle in my situation.

The ADI-2 Pro was pretty much excellent with all headphones I tried (unbalanced), and if there is something you don't really like in a headphone or a specific recording it is rather easy and quick to EQ it to your own preferences without any noticeable SQ loss (unless you take it to something extreme, which you can with this little thing funny enough) and like most mentioned it's absolutely loaded with features.

If you want a LP like sound you might want to consider the Mytek Brooklyn+ which is a warm fuzzy sounding amp/dac that's on the neutral side, but with some excellent details and can be further upgraded. And another one is the Benchmark DAC3 which seemingly very close both in design and features to the ADI-2 Pro although I haven't had the chance to listen to it yet but I'm planning to.

As for the head-amp only I wouldn't know, never had my hands on them.

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #229 of 594
Thank you all guys for precious input. Unfortunately where I live I cannon demo any of these devices, so unfortunately have to rely on other people's opinion (far than ideal, I know).

Will let you know the outcome when I pull the trigger!

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #231 of 594
I can set any mode (16 to 32 bit), hit Apply and it stays.

Maybe it changes after a sample rate change? The WDM device is removed and newly generated then, and might default to 24 bits. 32 bits for WDM don't make sense anyway. Trying now....Oh yes, it does. Well, no problem for me...

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #232 of 594
I can set any mode (16 to 32 bit), hit Apply and it stays.

Maybe it changes after a sample rate change? The WDM device is removed and newly generated then, and might default to 24 bits. 32 bits for WDM don't make sense anyway. Trying now....Oh yes, it does. Well, no problem for me...

Yeah, don’t think there’s any benefit to be had selecting 32bits besides feeling good and a potential placebo lol

Mar 6, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #233 of 594
Hi all,

I'm looking for a good "all in one" Pre-Dac-Headphone Amp. Anyone heard PSAudio Stellar Gain Cell Dac compared with RME ADI2-Pro ? Now the main use is as headphone amp with the Focal Clear, but in the future I would like to use it with active speakers.

Mar 7, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #234 of 594
Basicaly these type of sources like ADI2, Brooklyn DAC etc..is great for active speakers, as well as for easy drive headphone like LCDX, HEX, sure Focal Clear too from read (though did not have chance hear it) etc. Sound is clear, dynamic. I have Brooklyn with active speaker and sound is great. One my friend have similar speaker and use ADI2 also as dac pre and he is also happy.
But I am sure if you will use separate quality preamp sound will be sure better more calm flow. But if you will not compare it you will be satisified.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #235 of 594
^ this is not true regarding quality active speakers. They have been designed from the start to work as a one unified product, including both the amplifier and speaker elements. Separating these two typically reduce sound quality.

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #237 of 594
^ No, no, no... adding a separate preamp to ADI-2 Pro is a totally dumb idea and a waste of money - no offense. ADI-2 Pro is one of the best, if not _THE BEST_ preamp + DAC + hp amp out in the market. And btw, the preamp section is almost a trivial part, compared to the DAC and amp parts, and affects the sound the least, if not at all.

Mar 7, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #238 of 594
I'm very interested in this device, but I can't find the special 2x1/4" jack to 4 pin female XLR, necessary for the balanced connection. I found a seller on ebay, but unfortunately does not ship in my country. Do you know some seller in Europe where can I buy it? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back