RME ADI-2 Pro - DAC, Headamp, an a lot of more stunning features
Feb 14, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #196 of 595
Does any one knows, why ADI2-Pro becomes really hot after 30min of work? Is it normal?

Mine doesn't get hot at all. Warm, yes. But not hot. I have mine positioned on the top shelf of an audio rack so it has room to breathe. What's your setup like with regards to the ADI-2 Pro?

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #198 of 595
Yes, it gets warm / slightly hot and it's normal and designed to radiate heat like that. Remember, the ADI-2 Pro has very powerful DSP chips inside and they get hot the same way computer CPUs do. Good thing we don't have fans in these devices, yet...

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #199 of 595
From RME user forum

As explained in a different thread the ADI-2 Pro has an exceptional heat dissipation system, where the heat of the semiconductors is spread even over all the PCB, avoiding local hotspots, and is also transferred to the housing unusually well. This causes the housing to become more warm than on comparable (even RME) units, although they consume the same amount of power (around 12 Watts). That is a good sign, not a bad sign. Without air flow, or at higher surrounding temperatures, or under a heating spotlight, the housing will get quite hot. Typical is 42° Celsius (warm), 47° Celsius (quite hot), and 55° Celsius (exhibition demo stress, damn hot). No need to worry!

It should be noted that the heat from the inner electronics is mainly transferred to the bottom of the housing, which therefore is typically 5 to 8° Celsius warmer than the front and cover. Air flowing under the unit helps a lot. It gets much hotter if you don't use feet and put it on fabric , or on any material which doesn't take up heat. The higher feet of the Anniversary Edition compensate for the plastic window in the top, as there is improved airflow under the unit.

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #200 of 595
Set the unit manually to basic mode AD/DA, then you can change the source for Main out (and Phones) from any input, including USB.

I was wrong, one can not change the Main out to USB in that mode. Aso when thinking about it I am not sure what you (NickedWicked) try to achieve with that. You can change the Basic mode between Preamp and AD/DA and USB manually any time, if you don't want to have USB active constantly.

Feb 16, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #201 of 595
I was wrong, one can not change the Main out to USB in that mode. Aso when thinking about it I am not sure what you (NickedWicked) try to achieve with that. You can change the Basic mode between Preamp and AD/DA and USB manually any time, if you don't want to have USB active constantly.
I just want to use the ADI as audio interface, so I can pre-amp my active monitors, and also connect it to USB to my PC as source. So that the monitors are nicely pre-amped but also plays music directly from my PC to the monitors and at the same time have EQ options available to them. The Babyface seems to do it flawlessly so I wouldn't know why a ADI wouldn't.

Chain would look like this: Workstation -> USB cable -> ADI-2 Pro -> 2x XLR Cable -> Monitors

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #202 of 595
The simple reason is that the ADI does not have a mixer. You can listen to the analog inputs OR to the USB playback. For that you have to switch from one to another. With the Babyface the two sources are available at the same time (if I understood your request correctly).

Feb 16, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #203 of 595
I just want to use the ADI as audio interface, so I can pre-amp my active monitors, and also connect it to USB to my PC as source. So that the monitors are nicely pre-amped but also plays music directly from my PC to the monitors and at the same time have EQ options available to them. The Babyface seems to do it flawlessly so I wouldn't know why a ADI wouldn't.

Chain would look like this: Workstation -> USB cable -> ADI-2 Pro -> 2x XLR Cable -> Monitors
You shouldn't have an issue using it like that. I think others thought you wanted to have usb and another input playing out to your monitors at the same time.

Feb 17, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #204 of 595
Mine doesn't get hot at all. Warm, yes. But not hot. I have mine positioned on the top shelf of an audio rack so it has room to breathe. What's your setup like with regards to the ADI-2 Pro?
I have ADI-2 Pro Anniversary Edition with transparent glass on the top. I'm using it as a headphone amplifier and DAC and it stays on top of my table. So, a lot of space to breathe. After half an hour of listening it become unusually hot. I can keep my hand on top of ADI but its temperature is unpleasantly high.

Feb 17, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #205 of 595
Yes, it gets warm / slightly hot and it's normal and designed to radiate heat like that. Remember, the ADI-2 Pro has very powerful DSP chips inside and they get hot the same way computer CPUs do. Good thing we don't have fans in these devices, yet...
You right, I have transparent window on the top of my ADI-2 Pro AE and on DSP chip there is a sign - caution about hot surface. Is it good or not, in my experience I wasn't met such hot DAC/AMPs for headphones.

Feb 17, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #208 of 595
I have ADI-2 Pro Anniversary Edition with transparent glass on the top. I'm using it as a headphone amplifier and DAC and it stays on top of my table. So, a lot of space to breathe. After half an hour of listening it become unusually hot. I can keep my hand on top of ADI but its temperature is unpleasantly high.

Huh. That's weird. I have the Anniversary Edition too and it has never gotten that hot while I'm using it.

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #210 of 595
You right, I have transparent window on the top of my ADI-2 Pro AE and on DSP chip there is a sign - caution about hot surface. Is it good or not, in my experience I wasn't met such hot DAC/AMPs for headphones.
It would be helpful if you could measure the temp with an infra red thermometer if possible . With an ambient temp around 25c the unit should be less than 55c any more and you should contact RME
I have only had my unit for 24 hours and so far it has only reached 35c in an ambient of 23c , running usb in and balanced mode phones low power . Also not running much dsp just level 1 crossfeed and a bit of bass boost .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back