RMAF: RIP :-(
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2021 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Allanmarcus

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone going? The exhibitor list looks pretty small.

Looks like the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest has been permanently cancelled.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 18
iFi will be there (and I will be running our side of the show)! :wink:

Come up and have some fun with a smaller crew before things get crazy big again!

Sep 2, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 18
It's not just canceled this year. They posted that "We have made the difficult decision to cancel RMAF 2021 and all future shows. Thank you for 17 years of friendship and support. It has meant more than you can possibly imagine." Incredibly depressing. Anyone know the story?

Sep 2, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 18
It's not just canceled this year. They posted that "We have made the difficult decision to cancel RMAF 2021 and all future shows. Thank you for 17 years of friendship and support. It has meant more than you can possibly imagine." Incredibly depressing. Anyone know the story?
Oh wow. This sucks. It’s so hard to meet people who are into audio in person and nearly impossible to find places to try headphones/amps/DACs before purchasing. I was hoping to try some new stuff there, speak to knowledgeable people, and maybe make some friends. I guess there is still CanJam?

Sep 3, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 18
I hear you. Maybe we should just organize a meet up of our own after the Coronapocalypse has run its course? I think there are a good number of CO folks on the forum.

Sep 3, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 18
When I attended the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest a few years back, it was a fun, yet semi-complicated, event that spanned few conference areas, the main lobby, lot of elevators, and at least fifteen floors of hotel rooms. The largest conference room had CanJam and small conference rooms held the audio lectures, while the medium-sized conference rooms held many various companies. Of course, the hotel rooms held the speaker companies and their acoustic setups. The RMAF committee eventually moved the event from West Denver to Aurora (East of Denver), and now they have just announced the end of RMAF completely. You can talk to the committee about bringing RMAF, or at least something like the event, back to the general public, but its sheer size has placed itself on the COVID-era-backburner and no one knows for sure when this global pandemic will end.

Sep 3, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 18
When I attended the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest a few years back, it was a fun, yet semi-complicated, event that spanned few conference areas, the main lobby, lot of elevators, and at least fifteen floors of hotel rooms. The largest conference room had CanJam and small conference rooms held the audio lectures, while the medium-sized conference rooms held many various companies. Of course, the hotel rooms held the speaker companies and their acoustic setups. The RMAF committee eventually moved the event from West Denver to Aurora (East of Denver), and now they have just announced the end of RMAF completely. You can talk to the committee about bringing RMAF, or at least something like the event, back to the general public, but its sheer size has placed itself on the COVID-era-backburner and no one knows for sure when this global pandemic will end.
Yeah, I think that’s the main problem. No one knows when COVID will actually end with new variants, like the Delta strain, starting to surge it’s becoming even more unclear. Unfortunately, it’ll probably still be a while before large events like this are able to come back.

Sep 3, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #10 of 18
Hmmm…. If it was just Coronapocalypse (love that term, @Hiker816) then it would just be cancelled till further notice, not all future ones also canceled…. There has to be more of a backstory that we don’t yet know…

iFi will be there (and I will be running our side of the show)! :wink:

Come up and have some fun with a smaller crew before things get crazy big again!
@Sebastien Chiu - do you have anything you can share on the RMAF cancellation? I figure that as a vendor you may have been provided an explanation of sorts, and I doubt something like RMAF has a non-disclosure agreement in place…. Thanks in advance!

Sep 3, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #11 of 18
@Sebastien Chiu - do you have anything you can share on the RMAF cancellation? I figure that as a vendor you may have been provided an explanation of sorts, and I doubt something like RMAF has a non-disclosure agreement in place…. Thanks in advance!
According to ecoustics, this is the letter vendors were sent

“A year and a half ago, our hearts were aching as we made the hard decision to cancel our 2020 show. Back then, we somehow imagined that as a country, we could band together and transcend COVID-19, and our lives could return to normal. We hoped we could ride out a year in isolation and emerge healthy and ready to gather again. Here at RMAF, we spent the year improving our business by producing new room layouts with all the outlets marked, and created a handbook to guide exhibitors as they learned yet again to navigate their exhibitor accounts. We imagined ourselves enthusiastically greeting our audio industry friends in a few weeks, and we’ve held onto that dream in spite of our nervous fears and scary news reports.”

“Even though some parts of the United States are fully open, the number of people contracting the virus, and the number of deaths attributed to it are still rising, and the CDC is projecting an even more deadly Lambda wave this fall. We are frightened on behalf of our friends in the audio industry on many levels. The very worst thing that we can envision is for someone to fall ill because they came to our show, whether as an exhibitor, a journalist, an attendee, or a volunteer. Good health is a precious gift, and we are learning that although recovery is possible, the residual effects of COVID-19 and its variants can be profound, and we are unwilling to risk even one case.”

“Up until now, we have held onto the possibility that our October show could be produced as planned. After reading and listening to the news concerning the Coronavirus pandemic, and watching the cancellation of numerous other shows, we no longer hold that hope. In spite of our initial optimism, we have read and listened to all of your thoughtful comments and then looked at the numbers and made the difficult decision to cancel RMAF 2021.”

“This has been a wrenching decision, and along with it comes the added impact of deciding that we are no longer able to envision RMAF as our hearts delight. RMAF was our founder Al Stiefel’s dream, and we’ve done our best to nurture his vision for 12 years, along with help from the Colorado Audio Society and all our volunteers from around the world. Now, we are off to new adventures! And so it is with both sadness and anticipation for the future, we announce that the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest as we have all known it will be no more. It has been our very great pleasure to have served this community of audio professionals. We have learned so much from you! Thank you for 17 years of friendship and support. It has meant more than you can possibly imagine.

We offer you our heartiest wishes for good health and great happiness.”

Your Friends,
Marjorie and Marcie (Marjorie Baumert and Marcie Miller)

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 18
Hmmm…. If it was just Coronapocalypse (love that term, @Hiker816) then it would just be cancelled till further notice, not all future ones also canceled…. There has to be more of a backstory that we don’t yet know…

According to ecoustics, this is the letter vendors were sent

I can confirm got this above and no other official information was sent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back