RKV Impedence Box
Aug 28, 2002 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bearwise

100+ Head-Fier
After an almost 6 month wait (!!!), I finally got this little beast last night. YOU have to wonder about Audio Valves distributors, I got it through Hurricane Audio and I'm not sure the distributor ever gave Bruce at Hurricane an even slightly accurate estimate of delivery time: it's been going to ship in two weeks for 5 months now. Bruce has been good about this whole thing, no complaints from him, I was told it ws finally imported in the personal luggage of AuidoValves owner on a New York trip (!). I hope Jan Meier has beeter luck with htese guys, because I love the amp, and I'm very glad I held out for this baby.

FIrst thing, I'm very much a fan of the Grado sound. I own an RS-2 and the cheapest Allessandro/Grado phones, and I got hooked in this hobby with the incredible sound I was getting from the the Grados and my first amp , a Grado RA-1. Also have Senn HD600's (lately with the Cardas cables) and they are great phones, smooth, but never had that impact and natural dynamic feeling that I got with the RS-2's.

Several thousand dollars later, I have been using my RKV with Senn's and only using the Grados with another amp. The RS-2's never sounded very good on the RKV, loss of dynamics, that hiss that has been mentioned in other threads, the consequence in using low impedence phones with an amp designed for high impedence loads. So, I have been using the Senn's heavily, till last night.

Man, the Grados are back on top. Using the impedence box, the hiss is gone, the impact is there in spades, the tonal balance is wonderful. The Senn's sound veiled (almost muffled) in comparison. The bass is noticibly heavier with the Senn's, but I'm starting to feel that the Senn/RKV combination perhaps over emphasizes the lower octaves, The bass response with the RS-2's sounds more balanced, and integrated .

I fyou are a Grado fan and are thinking of an RKV, IMHO you HAVE to have one of these. They are hard to find, evidently they are made to order since there has been such a low demand for them, but perhaps Jan offereing the line will improve the availabiliy.

Aug 29, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 8
I have been waiting for my headmaster to arrive for months and it never arrives. I'm about ready to give up and get something else. RKV II is second on my list but I am worried that I just have to wait like before. I have low Z headphones, so looks like the RKV Z box is a must have accessory, and looks like I'll have to wait even longer for that. Now I'm really depressed.
frown.gif

Aug 29, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #3 of 8
Bearwize
Thanks for posting this. As I'm sure you know, I'm waiting for mine to come into stock at Meier.

I agree that the HD600 is bumped in the midbass but consider it a flaw of the HD600 and think its present on most amps. I got to listen to the Sony R10 on the RKV *without* the impedancer and thought it was awesome but from what Hirsch is saying about his R10, impedance matching has really lifted the performance on other amps. (Hope I'm not stealing Hirsch's thunder there--I'm sure he'll post soon.) I'm really looking forward to how this thing effects the Grado HP-1000. (RS-1 is a little too bright for me.)

Gregor
Check with Meier for whether there is a wait or not. I'd not be surprised if he had a cancellation or two and the first batch is en route to him now. I have the Sugden also and if it makes you feel any better, they're both excellent amps.

Aug 31, 2002 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Gregor
Check with Meier for whether there is a wait or not. I'd not be surprised if he had a cancellation or two and the first batch is en route to him now. I have the Sugden also and if it makes you feel any better, they're both excellent amps.

Thanks kelly.

I was last promised my headmaster and CDmaster to arrive by last week, but now I'm told mid sept. There is so much quality about the Sugden that I like, I'm going to give'em a last chance. If they still don't arrive then, I guess it's not meant to be.
frown.gif

Aug 31, 2002 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 8
These distributors/dealer really need to get a handle on accurate time to delivery estimates. I was literally promised my impedance box was on its way every two weeks since March! I give a bit of slack since eveidently the item is not stocked generally but made to order. But jeez.

Aug 31, 2002 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 8
To be fair to AudioValve, I think they've had a bit on an influx of business lately so they've been a little busy--but that only accounts for their share of it and then only the last couple months.

The Sugden distributor over here (in the US) is pretty awful, or so I'm lead to believe by the dealer who had issues getting me mine.

Definitely one advantage to HeadRoom is that they answer their phone and pretty much ship anything they make the next day. Straight from the manufacturer with no quality control issues. Ah, how I love the direct sale. Bypassing dickheaded distrubutors and dealers alike.

With Meier carrying the AudioValve now, it's really only the Sugden that's left out in the cold with the headphone stuff now.

Aug 31, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 8
I took the issue to the Sugden US distributor and even the UK distributor. They all told me the delay was caused by slow production. No matter what the real reason is, my patience is being stretched to the limit. Another 2 weeks or I'm ready to get something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back