Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Mar 4, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #496 of 1,968
So what is the difference in sound between am very good Telefunken 8802S and the GT73 -R?

Has anyone compared it to the Seimens 8802S Triple Mica?

The G73-R is sounding more open and very linear, the TFK802s sounds a bit more compressed in the top end. The Siemens E82CC triple mica sits in between the two, it does have a bit a different sound signature, and keep in mind that there are at least three different triple mica versions alone which hugely different signatures.

The G73-R sounds a bit Phillips like, very fine and detailed top end. Both of them are very nice allrounder tubes… I know that does not really help, but that is what it is.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #497 of 1,968
The second tube from hanoitubes does sound spectacular. Very much the same as the same tubes from Italy, but the sound is more open, as a well burned in tube sound. Very nice, but I don't know what to expect for life. Seems some of the 40k hours expected life is already used up. I'm going to put some time on the Italy tube and compare again later.

P/S: it seems the Italy seller has more in stock. https://www.audioantiquary.com/en-us/telefunken-g73r-7336/
Thanks. Actually I was all set the purchase from him last week and I paused for the moment to think about it

Mar 4, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #499 of 1,968
Actually I passed on the G73 -R. The Seimens seems more up my ally. Actually the Mullards are most likely up my ally. zFor the same reason why I like R2R ladder NOS DAC's. Also pairing it with the TC.

Maybe one day I'll hear my amp. LOL.

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #500 of 1,968
This G73-R tube is surely expensive. Though, so far I can see it has the best qualities of all of the tubes I've heard. I've also seen some rare tubes listed for twice the price. I choose this tube as my main go to. It just does everything the way I like. At least with this, I'm done with tube rolling. For me, it has all the best qualities in one tube. But, that is according to my preference.

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #501 of 1,968
Money For Nothing from Dire Straits. Sounds so amazing with this setup. Now onto Elton John's Yellow Brick Road. Everything is alive and fresh again.

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #502 of 1,968
Just coming in from making some fire wood I am now enjoying the sound the AIC-10 is able to produce. I lately found that the overall presentation has kind of settled, I assume this is the running in now being finished. It is sounding just absolutely amazing. I have switched tubes in between to see if this was maybe the main reason, but no. I had a bog standard Philips ECC82 during the week and now switched towards a Siemens E82CC triple mica, and it just sounds absolutely sublime.

Mar 6, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #504 of 1,968
I just went back to G73-R, and there it is again the „Studer effect“. I do have so far not heard any other tube that did that, it is the relaxedness plus this tiny layer of bittersweet melancholy. I really like it and it is so distinct.

Next steps for me would be going speaker taps and I‘ll add some external linear power supplies on my reclocking chain.

Mar 7, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #506 of 1,968
I just went back to G73-R, and there it is again the „Studer effect“. I do have so far not heard any other tube that did that, it is the relaxedness plus this tiny layer of bittersweet melancholy. I really like it and it is so distinct.

Next steps for me would be going speaker taps and I‘ll add some external linear power supplies on my reclocking chain.
I don't understand this "Studer effect". Could you elaborate? In any case, I do concur these G73-R have a special sound that no other tube can match. I'm in love with a tube. Can only be achieved with the AIC-10, er, maybe, I don't know.

Wow, I only assumed you have gone to use the speaker taps already. That is an almost free super upgrade with the AIC-10. Please let us know your impressions.

Mar 8, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #507 of 1,968
BTW, I want to report. Hanoitubes has been great about exchanging the one bad tube. I'm sending the 'bad' tube to his brother in Oregon, USA to avoid shipping cost. i asked they send the replacement in slow mail to avoid high shipment costs. As I don't need it immediately. Tuan is super fast in responding to emails. I mean, extremely, as I mean, Right NOW. Great to work with people like this. I won't hesitate to buy again from them in the future.

Mar 8, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #508 of 1,968
Has anyone ever heard of Siemens E80CC triple mica, and knows anything regarding its sound?

I am very skeptical about a Siemens E80CC triple mica. E80CC were only produced by Philips and Tungsram, everything else is labeled. The variations should be std/gold/rhodium pins O- D- and Foil getter. Some early version are called pinched waist due to their construction, those can reach up to 1k$.

The E80CC is a nice tube and works well in our amps, but it draws double the current for the filament. Long term I‘d make sure to replace the 250mA fuse with a 315mA type.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #509 of 1,968
I don't understand this "Studer effect". Could you elaborate? In any case, I do concur these G73-R have a special sound that no other tube can match. I'm in love with a tube. Can only be achieved with the AIC-10, er, maybe, I don't know.

Wow, I only assumed you have gone to use the speaker taps already. That is an almost free super upgrade with the AIC-10. Please let us know your impressions.

Have you ever heard a master tape from a reel to reel machine? It does produce a very special sound, I tried to describe that in my early G73-R observations. I am not sure if this is really the tube or maybe comes from my DAC or maybe even the recording. One thing fro sure I only have that with the G73-R.

If people talk analogue like production the most think of vinyl, which I think is not the true sound of analogue. It does bring in to many shortcomings and artifacts. For me that would be analogue tape. It does have a very special „melancholy„ attached to it‘s presentation. The tones are more saturated if you will…

It is hard to describe…

I am really curious on the speaker taps! I wanted to wait for Norne to get an 8-wire S4, but it looks like taking longer to get this back in stock. So I decided for DHC Prion4 which hopefully should land by next week.

Mar 8, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #510 of 1,968
BTW, I want to report. Hanoitubes has been great about exchanging the one bad tube. I'm sending the 'bad' tube to his brother in Oregon, USA to avoid shipping cost. i asked they send the replacement in slow mail to avoid high shipment costs. As I don't need it immediately. Tuan is super fast in responding to emails. I mean, extremely, as I mean, Right NOW. Great to work with people like this. I won't hesitate to buy again from them in the future.
My communication with him has been very good. I ended up buying the Mullard CV 491 from Blackburn factory. They shipped it on Friday and I received it in New Jersey yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back