Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Apr 23, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #1,831 of 1,873
Watched it. I mostly agree with his take, and of course as everyone points out, tastes and preferences make such a big role when splitting hair between great amps. Mostly, the video is very informative for anyone researching for ideas what amps to check out and demo.

Personally, I preferred the AIC-10 to the 465 when I demo-ed them head-to-head (with both the Susvara and Tungsten) but @Frankie D described the differences well. I preferred the fuller and more textures sound of the AIC vs. the more leaner and neutral one of the 465. Tastes and all. Also thought the Zahl was great with the Sus (not powerful enough for the Tungsten, btw) but that is the most neutral amp ever, so if one looks for an amp that completely disappears from the chain, a prime goal for many (most?) audiophile, than it can be an excellent choice (and a wonderful feature set). I settled on the AIC10 as, simply put, it moves me emotionally to highs beyond any other amp I ever tried (at <$50k, to put a safe caveat:wink:).
I agree on the Zahl. It is the most neutral of the bunch, but I also really like it. It is not harsh or bright.

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #1,832 of 1,873
Imho nothing beats Shsvara with WE300b tubes on something like Envy and the euphonic sweet mids you get with it.
Totally different sound. If you prefer a little caramel flavor added, then yes. I would like to own one of these down the road. I do like that sound as well. I usually prefer more “neutral” with a touch of sweetness, but I do like both. One day.

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #1,833 of 1,873
The AIC-10 doesn't have formal pre-amp capability does it? Has anyone used as such? On the fence in replacing some amps with it.. my audition with it was amazing. Probably the best dynamic amp I've heard. But in the next year or two most of my listening will probably skew 2channel, so just evaluating each purchase as such.
It sounds like you want one amp that can do both 2-channel and headphones? A couple of options:

1.- place a preamp in from of your HP amp as @goldwerger mentioned. The pre can then also feed a 2-channel amp. Now you can use an AIC-10 if you so desire. I have heard good things about the HoloAudio Serene (around $3K). There are a whole host of preamp options.

2.- Zynsonix HP Converter box. Another thought is what a friend of mine just did. He went for the Viva Solista. This is Viva’s integrated 2-channel amplifier. He is going to pair it with a Zynsonix Headphone converter box. He can use his Susvaras now and power his 2-channel system down the road as well. Theoretically any 2-channel amp should work with the converter box. So, a Riviera speaker amp should also work with it. I have never tested them for myself.

3.- Use the HP amp as the preamp for 2-channel. Many HP amps are integrated amps having a preamp as you know. They usually have an output that can be used to drive another amplifier be it another HP amp or a 2-channel amp. The Zahl HM-1 is considered an excellent HP amp and preamp. I would think most HP amps would not be able to compete with a good dedicated preamplifier, but still an option you may want to check out.

Apr 25, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #1,834 of 1,873
Hi fellows,
Have owned AIC-10 for two months. Very satisfied, it works well with all my headphones, Utopia 2022, Abyss MR and Susvara.
I use Innuos Statement Nexgen as my source, Nagra Tube Dac and AIC-10.
Now if I want to buy a bookshelf speakers, anyone has good suggestions that AIC-10 can work with? Thanks.

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:05 AM Post #1,835 of 1,873
Hi fellows,
Have owned AIC-10 for two months. Very satisfied, it works well with all my headphones, Utopia 2022, Abyss MR and Susvara.
I use Innuos Statement Nexgen as my source, Nagra Tube Dac and AIC-10.
Now if I want to buy a bookshelf speakers, anyone has good suggestions that AIC-10 can work with? Thanks.
Great system congratulations. Audio Note, Cube Audio Nenuphar standmounts, Devilles, Devore, many options. Mostly anything with sensitivity over 90db should be a treat.

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #1,837 of 1,873
Thanks very much man. Very useful suggestions.
Another option which is what I went for, are the Spatial Audio X3s. They are super efficient having a dedicated amp for LFE which relieves the Riviera of some of the work. They look beautiful, sound amazing and can be found for relatively cheap used (they dont make them new anymore but have moved on to other models). Definitely recommended!

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #1,838 of 1,873
Another option which is what I went for, are the Spatial Audio X3s. They are super efficient having a dedicated amp for LFE which relieves the Riviera of some of the work. They look beautiful, sound amazing and can be found for relatively cheap used (they dont make them new anymore but have moved on to other models). Definitely recommended!
Thanks very much thx, I just searched online, cannot find any used X3s online. Hahaha
I may choose to go for Sound Kaos Vox3a.

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #1,839 of 1,873
Thanks very much thx, I just searched online, cannot find any used X3s online. Hahaha
Those are good too. The X3s come up once in a while you have to keep an eye out or ask local dealers if they can get any. But also as I said they've moved on to new lines of speakers which I'm sure will be just as good if not better (X4, Q3 etc). Lots of good choices out there!

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #1,840 of 1,873
53681328833_1a5bf107ec_k.jpg

this beautiful thing goes back to its owner this weekend.. so sad to see it go! thanks, @Mystel for lending it to me!

I hope my own unit arrives soon. I ordered one in the darker titanium finish. I tried some brief tube rolling with the aic-10.. the stock tube is pretty decent, but I like a NOS Mullard 12AU7 the most. @Mystel passed me a telefunken G73R with diamond base which he just purchased, and I tried it but the sound didn't really gel with me.. made the amp veer a bit too much towards neutral/ss/reference sound; does this tube take a long time to run in? tried it for 2 days or so, and just had to swap the Mullard back in and then all was good again.

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #1,841 of 1,873

this beautiful thing goes back to its owner this weekend.. so sad to see it go! thanks, @Mystel for lending it to me!

I hope my own unit arrives soon. I ordered one in the darker titanium finish. I tried some brief tube rolling with the aic-10.. the stock tube is pretty decent, but I like a NOS Mullard 12AU7 the most. @Mystel passed me a telefunken G73R with diamond base which he just purchased, and I tried it but the sound didn't really gel with me.. made the amp veer a bit too much towards neutral/ss/reference sound; does this tube take a long time to run in? tried it for 2 days or so, and just had to swap the Mullard back in and then all was good again.
So this wins against the Armageddon? 😊

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #1,842 of 1,873
So this wins against the Armageddon? 😊

for my sound preferences and purposes, yes I like the AIC more. I do have to say, the Immanis + Armageddon combo I heard at canjam was amazing, so when I get my Immanis I may ask the dealer to lend me the Armageddon again.

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:25 AM Post #1,843 of 1,873

Welcome to the club! Over the past two years I have questioned my DAC, streamer, server, speakers, room and HP, but never my AIC. It is just a really great amplifier. Highly recommended.

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #1,844 of 1,873
I have been considering a Muon Pro for cleaning the Ethernet, but I have also reading some crazy DIY forums on ferrites on Ethernet cables. Not sure yet if this is all a total waste of time or can be beneficial.

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #1,845 of 1,873
I would have loved to audition the Soundkaos. All reviews are really promising. Plus I find they look really great. But it wasn’t possible to demo them anywhere in my country (Germany). And restocking fees with them was quite too much. Now I am enjoying AN K Spe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back