Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and importance of bias/blind testing
Jul 31, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #331 of 1,376
Placebophiles are everwhere. Since the he-6 costs more, it must be leaps ahead of the he-500 and not just a different sound signature and slightly improved driver and clarity. I can fully believe someone liking a pair of grados over stax sr 009's out of personal preference, but apparently, i spent more so everything i have is better than your cheap-fi low-fi setup. And lets just forget about amps/dacs and cables.

Jul 31, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #332 of 1,376
Chuck a vintage amp behind them that can actually power them and go nuts. I happened to grow up with a friend whose dad had a set of 901s when they're set up correctly they're not bad. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a pair but people who mock them, just because "BOSE" really don't have much of a leg to stand on either.

You can buy better speakers for less that can "go nuts" with a regular amp :wink:

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #333 of 1,376
Never heard it sorry!

I stand corrected, the current 2016 model will set you back 10K EURO not USD.
There no LCD screen and it only accept WAV files. Makes your AK380 purchase seem like an absolute bargain.

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #334 of 1,376
Where would I buy a switch box to AB equipment?

http://mfspdesigns.com/index.php/en/all-products/switch-box

They can even build you a switch box after your own custom wishes.

I am using the Fiio HS-2 but that's out of production for a long time now.

Cheers.

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #335 of 1,376
You can buy better speakers for less that can "go nuts" with a regular amp
wink.gif

That all depends, speakers are as much a personal taste as anything else including headphones, if you want to listen to Rogers or Bowers and Wilkins or LS3/5As that's fine by me also.

Plenty of speakers to go round for everyone, and I have a strong dislike of audio snobs so whatever floats your boat. The "my speakers are better because I'm an audio snob" is not my game. You can buy a set of LS3/5As for a lot less also and have a much better sounding set of vintage speakers for less you just need to know what you're looking for.

Whatever I'm not going to go out and spend $4500 on a set of 901s.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bose-Lifestyle-901-Rare-Amazing-Sound-Hard-To-Find-Amazing-Condition-RRP-9-999-/131889361725?hash=item1eb537f33d:g:k1oAAOSwFqJWk4vC

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #336 of 1,376
I stand corrected, the current 2016 model will set you back 10K EURO not USD.
There no LCD screen and it only accept WAV files. Makes your AK380 purchase seem like an absolute bargain.

Wow there sits the epitome of this entire conversation. Wonder what the specs are and how it measures compared to amazing daps that cost $10,000 less with tons of features and storage. Better yet, I wonder what it "sounds" like compared to them.

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #337 of 1,376

Awesome points by everyone. I liked this rant by Koolpep even though it's different from my opinion.

The biggest problem I have is I think the audiophile world is completely different than almost anything else that people try to compare it to. I think it is very unique to most things and it sort of goes back a few pages to my sensation vs perception post. I think being an audiophile is more closely connected to art collecting. You can't (in my opinion) justify the extreme pricing of what we see everyday in high end audio the same way you can't justify million dollar paintings where the artist literally splashes paint on the canvas.

To me it comes down to companies taking advantage of our deceitful hearing and us laying back and letting them. In my opinion we could start with these forums:

1. Treat sponsors the same as other manufacturers
  2. Allow pricing, bias and blind testing discussion outside of the science section
  3. Teach newcomers that opinionated advice runs rampant through here (maybe even through banners/stickies)

If a company can charge an extremely high price (even considering everything involved) and not only get away with it, but be praised instantly then that is our fault not theirs. Who wouldn't want to be considered great just by throwing a big price tag on something - that's literally a win/win for them.

I have been an advocate for this topic for awhile now and I would encourage you guys to read my short thread in the portable source section: http://www.head-fi.org/t/810821/serious-question-why-is-the-ak380-four-thousand-dollars

I still haven't figured out an answer to that question. Why is the AK380 so pricey? Other daps have equal or superior technical specs so can anyone actually (outside of a marketing point of view) tell me why it cost so much? I actually bought the 380 and blind tested it myself and it was subjectively worse sounding to me than almost anything else I compared it to (for the very few scenarios I could even hear a difference). I even tried contacting their support (along with many others) to try and ask a legitimate technical question and I never got an answer. In fact few hear back from them after you spend so much on their products.

I agree with letting people do whatever they want and if you're happy then thats great. Ignorance really is bliss and if you spend more than you can afford then that is its own separate issue altogether. However I also agree with spreading the notion that it's OK to challenge product makers and not just sit back and take whatever they shovel us. What's more helpful to us consumers long-term: Talking about this stuff or ignoring it?

I dislike the constant and lazy response from the other end of the argument - "Let people do what they want."

Just my 2 cents as always!

Ok, we agree mostly. I enjoy this discussion.

Wow you actually bought an AK380? With buying a $4,000 DAP - are you part of the problem or part of the solution (this is tongue in cheek)?

- Might be a lazy argument (I don't think so) but it's still valid - people can do what they want with their money - I mean you bought a $4k DAP.
- We also agree that we should always test and scrutinize products no matter if sponsor or not.
- We also agree that expectation bias can run both ways (hearing differences and hearing no differences) => DBT
- This forum might be the wrong one for that because it deliberately does not want people to mention DBT etc. in any parts except Sound Science - but as we already agreed - getting a proper DBT done in home environments is VERY hard if not impossible - so it's indicative at best but not proof. I love doing DBT or just switch box tests - biggest eye opener for me.
- Manufacturers should absolutely be held accountable to justify their prices but expecting more than marketing fluff in some cases would be an illusion.
- I really like the mantra/rule here that you should only report, review and discuss things you have extensively heard or own.
- Auto-footer on each post: This is my personal opinion and not necessary a fact.
- Teach newcomers - well that is hard as they can access the whole forum and nobody wants to go through (or read) long disclaimers in detail. But maybe a short disclaimer would be in order for a new member - question of course is - what about the lurkers who never sign up?

Cheers!

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #338 of 1,376

Ok, we agree mostly. I enjoy this discussion.

Wow you actually bought an AK380? With buying a $4,000 DAP - are you part of the problem or part of the solution (this is tongue in cheek)?

- Might be a lazy argument (I don't think so) but it's still valid - people can do what they want with their money - I mean you bought a $4k DAP.
- We also agree that we should always test and scrutinize products no matter if sponsor or not.
- We also agree that expectation bias can run both ways (hearing differences and hearing no differences) => DBT
- This forum might be the wrong one for that because it deliberately does not want people to mention DBT etc. in any parts except Sound Science - but as we already agreed - getting a proper DBT done in home environments is VERY hard if not impossible - so it's indicative at best but not proof. I love doing DBT or just switch box tests - biggest eye opener for me.
- Manufacturers should absolutely be held accountable to justify their prices but expecting more than marketing fluff in some cases would be an illusion.
- I really like the mantra/rule here that you should only report, review and discuss things you have extensively heard or own.
- Auto-footer on each post: This is my personal opinion and not necessary a fact.
- Teach newcomers - well that is hard as they can access the whole forum and nobody wants to go through (or read) long disclaimers in detail. But maybe a short disclaimer would be in order for a new member - question of course is - what about the lurkers who never sign up?

Cheers!

Problem is, some manufacture don't even bother publishing the specs.
I've purchased equipment where the IC marking has been sanded off.
I fully understand they are protecting their IP, but when you don't publish any specs on what you are selling.

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #339 of 1,376
I think the tera player may be a joke. Someone is trying to prove to their mates that they can sell any garbage as long as it has a massive price tag audiophiles will buy it because they're all idiots. Guy is gonna make a few bucks by the look of it.

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #340 of 1,376
I think the tera player may be a joke. Someone is trying to prove to their mates that they can sell any garbage as long as it has a massive price tag audiophiles will buy it because they're all idiots. Guy is gonna make a few bucks by the look of it.

No it not a joke, I've seen a few older models on the FS forum on head fi in the past.

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #341 of 1,376
Ummm...because it measures terrible, is difficult to drive, and there are much better speakers to buy for less money. However, Bose devotes so much money to marketing that the average person thinks Bose are great quality stuff, when in fact, they are poor values. Meanwhile, they've used their insane profits to sue any negative reviews. That's what happens when companies make "insane profit margins" on a product for over 48 years.

Highly unethical indeed. I didn't know that. I was never interested in bose speakers as I already knew they are overpriced for what they deliver. However, there should be ways to go about it. Better Business Bureau, Consumer Protection Agency, etc. Also ideally their reputation should suffer so much that nobody wants to buy their 901 for $1,000 - but if people still like what they hear....what to do. After all the people go into their shops and can actually listen to them (of course with no comparison and with highly beneficial music made to sound good with their systems but....they did hear before they bought). Not all Bose products are bad quality. And I disagree - this is not what happens with companies with insane profit margins - it only happens with *bad* companies and insane profit margins :wink:

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #342 of 1,376
That all depends, speakers are as much a personal taste as anything else including headphones, if you want to listen to Rogers or Bowers and Wilkins or LS3/5As that's fine by me also.

Plenty of speakers to go round for everyone, and I have a strong dislike of audio snobs so whatever floats your boat. The "my speakers are better because I'm an audio snob" is not my game. You can buy a set of LS3/5As for a lot less also and have a much better sounding set of vintage speakers for less you just need to know what you're looking for.

Whatever I'm not going to go out and spend $4500 on a set of 901s.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bose-Lifestyle-901-Rare-Amazing-Sound-Hard-To-Find-Amazing-Condition-RRP-9-999-/131889361725?hash=item1eb537f33d:g:k1oAAOSwFqJWk4vC

You keep talking crap as if this is some kind of snobbery. Have you ever owned Bose home audio speakers? I have. 201, 301, and 601. It was when I was much younger before I learned that Bose speakers aren't that good a value. The reason I got them? The same reason people bought them then and buy them today: Bose marketing. People don't buy them because they sound good. People buy them because they have been TOLD that they are good and they don't know anything else. (lol)

The 901s don't measure well, and the early models were terribly inefficient. Apparently, they might have gotten a little more efficient, but can't tell from Bose because they don't share any specs on the speakers. Because they are designed to work with that EQ unit, it also requires amplification that can loop in the EQ, making it more of a pain to power them. They are also extremely placement sensitive, more so than typical direct radiating speakers.Their main saving grace is that they can get very loud. However, one can get PA speakers that sound as good and play loud with less amplification for less money. That was my point. Which has nothing to do with audiophile snobbery because audiophiles don't buy PA speakers. My mistake for thinking you know about these speakers more than just you heard them as a kid :rolleyes:

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #343 of 1,376

Problem is, some manufacture don't even bother publishing the specs.
I've purchased equipment where the IC marking has been sanded off.
I fully understand they are protecting their IP, but when you don't publish any specs on what you are selling.

Yes, I agree. My nuForce icon HDP was such a case. they didn't disclose their DAC chips as they didn't want to be thrown in the bucket of ahhh Wolfson - warm, ahhh, Sabre - cold/bright. So I guess to some extend (at that time) it was an understandable decision - though I still don't agree with it.

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #344 of 1,376
Wow there sits the epitome of this entire conversation. Wonder what the specs are and how it measures compared to amazing daps that cost $10,000 less with tons of features and storage. Better yet, I wonder what it "sounds" like compared to them.

http://www.altmann.haan.de/tera_player/

The dev story.

And the current page:
http://www.tera-player.com

You can "apply" to purchase one for 10k Euro....

Aug 1, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #345 of 1,376

I had a Tera Player on loan some time ago. To my ears, nothing special and rather touchy about pairings with balanced armatures and low ohm phones:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626954/the-diary-entries-of-a-little-girl-in-her-30s-part-2/9735#post_9332267

According to its maker, he developed the player using modded Koss Porta Pros (60 ohms) as reference phones, so it might well sound decent with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back