Ripping to FLAC
Jul 23, 2010 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

usf09

100+ Head-Fier
For a while, I've used Foobar to rip my CDs into FLAC, but never bothered with Accurate Rip until today. Every CD I try to rip has minor problems, something about the "offset." 

So I decided to install EAC, and I followed an extensive guide of options by "jiGGafellz", which was posted here a few years ago. Now it seems like it's taking hours to rip 1 CD, which of course isn't practical...so my question: Is there a quicker way to use EAC, and how long does it usually take to rip a CD with the software? Or should I use some other software besides EAC? Thanks!

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 13
EAC confuses me.
but, i do know that there are settings which allow you to scale back the error correction in order to rip faster...
it also has something to do you cd drive.

good luck.

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 13
Right now it's saying it'll take 79 hours to do 1 CD...it's a brand new CD with absolutely no scratches. My PC is a powerful gaming computer, so it should be more than fast enough, I'm confused...only 2% of my processing power is being used, and only 2GB of RAM is being utilized out of the 6 available...so my computer shouldn't be holding me back, but I don't know...this is a confusing program, so many options...

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #5 of 13
Would you mind sharing what options you are using? Of course, you don't have to list them all, that would take forever, but if you had a guide or anything that you used when first setting up the program, it'd be greatly appreciated...I'm close to giving up on it already...thanks!

Jul 24, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #8 of 13
I 2nd the comment about using dbPoweramp. Works great!

Jul 24, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #9 of 13
Is that a yearly charge or one-time? Or are some of the options for a year, and others lifetime?I wasn't planning on buying anything, but if it's a lot easier/faster than EAC, it'll probably be worth it.

I reinstalled EAC with some different settings I found, and it takes about an hour for each CD, which isn't terrible, but not great. One of my badly scratched CDs plays fine in any CD player, but won't work with EAC...I'm making a duplicate copy to try, but I'm not sure if that will be a bit-perfect copy or not...

Jul 24, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #10 of 13
Just because it plays fine doesn't mean that the CD player could read all the information accurately - a popular misconception.

A read error is a read error is a read error. It might be filled with silence or interpolated samples or whatever and it might not even be audible. But the AccurateRip checksum won't match.

Problem with many EAC guides is that they are made by paranoid people, or people who like paranoid settings. :D

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 13
Well, I can always go and buy a new copy for ~$8...not a big loss...Kinda wish I'd done that in the first place...Amazon marketplace advertising Used-Like New with 500 scratches on the back annoy me, though the $3 shipped price should have alerted me something was amiss...

Ah well, I'll listen to the ripped FLAC files and see how they sound...if I don't notice anything, I'll just leave it as is...

And yea, the EAC guides are intense, I did not enjoy them one bit lol...I may have to invest in DBpoweramp, but I'll give EAC another month or so to grow on me

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #12 of 13
You could get a skip doctor, or whatever they are called.  The small devices that take off the surface scratches.
I have never used one but may help.  You can always just buy another copy..as you mentioned.
I buy a CD, encode it to FLAC for my system and put the CD away.  This way I always have an optical back up of the music in my collection.

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #13 of 13
There are a couple of cheap tricks to "repair" CDs, just search in google.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back