Ripping SACD audio
May 31, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #18 of 36
The next generation SACD players (whenever that is) might include a firewire output - I've read this somewhere. The purpose is to be able to use an external DAC. In that case, the PC would be able to read the stream and with the appropriate software, play it back.
I wonder what the ratio of the file sizes are

Lemme see...
CD:
16bits = 2 bytes * 44.1kHz = 88.2 kb/s * 2 channels (stereo) = 156.4kbs
SACD:
2.8224MHz for both channels for 1,0 or -1 (2 bits should be enough)
= 5.38MB/s

Somebody tell me if I'm correct.

May 31, 2004 at 7:13 AM Post #19 of 36
there's just 1bit carried on SACD, it's like sigma/delta modulated signal..

oh, and there's definately no WAV on SACD, it's a CDDA layer, ie. common redbook audio, which, after ripping, become WAV, but WAV is a file format, not description of uncompressed audio data.. there are more formats, for example Apple AIFF, which is different than WAV, but carries uncompressed digital audio data as well..

May 31, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #20 of 36
SACD is 1 bit at 2.8224 MHz, so the data rate will be half of your estimate. However, presence of FireWire won't necessarily let you use a PC to play back SACD, because the 5C protocol used for encoding hi-res audio has encryption, and the decoders are very carefully licensed out. I doubt Sony would allow PCs to play back SACD after all the trouble they've gone to disallow it (eg. no SACD-ROM even for mastering engineers).

The other technical problem is how one would play back DSD in the computer since computer APIs are all currently PCM-based.

--Andre

Dec 5, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #21 of 36
well, it looks like there's no worthwhile option for backing up or ripping SACDs... does the same go for DVD-audio?

Dec 6, 2004 at 7:36 AM Post #22 of 36
for the hell of it, I connected my dvd-a (cheap panasonic) player to my 1212m and recorded a diana krall song. On playback, the resolution is there but the soundstage seems to have collapsed.

Dec 6, 2004 at 10:59 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
for the hell of it, I connected my dvd-a (cheap panasonic) player to my 1212m and recorded a diana krall song. On playback, the resolution is there but the soundstage seems to have collapsed.

The same thing happens when you do a digital recording of vinyl. Most of the detail seems to be there, but the 3D effect disappears to a large degree. I guess it's because soundstaging cues (which can only be the cumulative effect of minute delays on the recording mikes) are the most fragile of all.

Dec 6, 2004 at 11:38 AM Post #24 of 36
I don't care what anyone says, if they put out a SACD-ROM and then someone bothered to write the program to do it, you could rip SACD audio. Today's "Copy Protection" equals exactly 5Hit.

However.... I don't think there is a PC format that you could store it in. Unless you went and wrote that... and then something to play it back with ( #*%#%* that though lol ) So much effort...

So... not much point.

I'd guess your best bet is make reeeeally good friends with someone who works in a SACD manufacturing plant
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #25 of 36
oh yes there is a computer file format for storing DSD data, what do you think proffesional DSD mastering equipment use?

btw. I'm gonna extract some SACD hopefully this week
smily_headphones1.gif
I mean stereo DSD track
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2004 at 2:38 PM Post #26 of 36
Go Glassman, waiting eagerly for your mod to universal players for using external dacs.

Keep us posted.
Oh and btw yes there most certainly is a software used while making SACD's.
Only problem is it costs something like6-9K which is enough to discourage most people and high enough to make it unprofitable for pirates not to try it.
Most people are happy with MP3's. i am more worried about companies deciding to not sell CD's in 2-3 years time. That would suck big time.

Dec 6, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #27 of 36
The closest I've come is sending the un-locked coaxial digital output (using un-locked DVD-A media, of course) of my DVD-S47 to the SPDIF input of my RME and recording the stream - it works perfectly with all the 24-bit/96kHz media I've tried (the files are huge).

Dec 6, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #28 of 36
If you guys remember Stereophile's article about the Norah Jones SACD... they had to extrac that data digitally via unlocked optical output, so they can do a side-by-side comparison to prove that Norah Jone's SACD was encoded using the same PCM data as the CD version.

So, you *can* do it, it's just really painful and hard to do.... and there isn't a "SACD-ROM" on the way anytime soon (it's probably closer to *never*)... that would potentially make the process much easier.

Dec 6, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #30 of 36
yes I'm working on something similar, but only stereo and carefully tuned filters audiophile friendly.. also hopefully ultra low output jitter regardless of the player's own jitter..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back