rippin' in the library
Oct 12, 2007 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

wes.coleman

100+ Head-Fier
Does anybody else check out CD's from the library and rip them to your computer? I do it all the time
redface.gif
. I keep telling myself it's not technically stealing. I mean, after all, I donated 100+ of my old CD's to the library, so that makes it even, right? lol. Last year, I actually took my laptop to the library, sat in a deserted corner and ripped CD's for about 6 hours, lol. The librarians were shooting me nasty looks, so I decided to leave. You'd be surprised what you can find. Just last week I found a CD where the London Symphony Orchestra performed Sting's greatest hits.

Anybody else guilty?

Oct 12, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 25
That is a tricky moral predicament. One the one hand, technically your tax dollars are paying for those CDs. They're public property, right? And by ripping them you're not denying any else access to them, so it seems perfectly fine. If you were to go in to a library and copy down a book word for word so you could read it at home, would that be illegal?

On the other hand, it's sort of like buying a CD and then letting all of your friends rip it, which is generally considered unethical.

Oct 12, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 25
I'm sure that if the public had a right to ownership of the CDs, to an extent of ripping them and using it for personal use, our tax dollars would not be able to afford the kind of licensing the record companies would impose on such rights.

Oct 12, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #6 of 25
A lightbulb just went off in my head...time to go get that library card.

Oct 13, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 25
I want to know who doesn't do that...really.
evil_smiley.gif

...well, I've never done that because I haven't stepped foot inside of a library in 20 years
blink.gif

So you see, this makes me an angel.
tongue.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 25
My local library has abysmal musical selections, of which 99 percent are scratched all over, making it impossible to rip. People don't care about taking care of it, since they can return it, so they apparently throw them around like frisbees, judging from the damage.

I just buy my music.

Oct 13, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #11 of 25
I just eliminate the ripping process and go straight to OiNK, that way I don't even have to leave my house
wink.gif
But that is a really good idea for finding interesting obscure stuff. Thanks for the idea
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by wes.coleman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody else check out CD's from the library and rip them to your computer? I do it all the time
redface.gif
. I keep telling myself it's not technically stealing. I mean, after all, I donated 100+ of my old CD's to the library, so that makes it even, right? lol. Last year, I actually took my laptop to the library, sat in a deserted corner and ripped CD's for about 6 hours, lol. The librarians were shooting me nasty looks, so I decided to leave. You'd be surprised what you can find. Just last week I found a CD where the London Symphony Orchestra performed Sting's greatest hits.

Anybody else guilty?

HMMM Let me think! All the TIME! well not recently but in the past, yes! If the library is allowing you to check out CDs, knowing full well that one can rip them, it's fair game my friends! You DO pay taxes to have a membership at the city library that you belong too! You are not making money off of it; however, I do believe in buying the CD of a band that you really like, as you should support them.

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My local library has abysmal musical selections, of which 99 percent are scratched all over, making it impossible to rip. People don't care about taking care of it, since they can return it, so they apparently throw them around like frisbees, judging from the damage.

I just buy my music.

I have probably checked out and ripped 35 or so CDs at our library and have only run into 1 that was scratched beyond ripping. On that note, I will continue to take my chances at the library.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back