RIP to my IEMs (Reccomend some Portable 'Phones)
Sep 28, 2011 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Trikky99

Head-Fier
Roughly thirty minutes ago I dropped my IEMs in the parking lot. I realized this too late because when I found them, they had been run over (RIP Metrofi’s). These ‘phones have lasted me about two years while taking considerable abuse, and I really enjoyed the sound they produced.
For the last few weeks I’ve been looking into on ear models for my portable needs, but I also like the benefits of IEM’s. From my experience, on ears are good for comfort and keep the weight low compared to full size headphones. My main gripe with on ear ‘phones is how they are not as portable as IEMS, and may leak sound at higher volumes. IEMS on the other hand are VERY portable and private, allowing me to turn up the volume without disturbing others. But I prefer the more open sound of on ear headphones, and comfort was a major problem when it came to the ear tips of my Ultimate Ears. Keep in mind the budget I’m allowing for these is low, around the $40 range.
I’ve been eyeballing the ATH-SJ series and the ATH On3 (dirt cheap and won’t mess up my hair). I’m looking for a fun sounding headphone that isn’t bulky, these are to mainly be used on campus and on the go.
Alright forum, now for the decision on what I should do now. I already have the Portapros and HD218s, should I just be satisfied with these and forget about picking up new ‘phones? Or should I give in to the temptation of the ATH SJ series? Other headphone suggestions would be appreciated, but if you do suggest something please explain why you did. Thanks for reading.

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #2 of 8
If i were you i'll just be satisfied until i've save enough to make a big step up to something like... i dunno, Grados? IMO the SJs won't be a big step up from your portapros, if at all.

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the input, I'll most likely hold off on a purchase in the near future. I should note that the M50's satisfy any of my needs for a higher end sound, and the urge to upgrade has not been an issue for me.

Sep 29, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 8
I'd say go for it. The sj-55 are definitely an upgrade over the porta pros, I don't think the guys above have even heard them. And sound aside, they're the clear winner in terms of build/comfort/isolation/looks.

That being said, they don't sound like the m50.

Compared to you're m50 the first thing you'll miss is the excellent extended sub-bass, but you still get a nice detailed fast & punchy bass. The mids are more foward and agressive, making these great for rock and pop. But unlike the m50 they fold flat, so they're easier to lug around.

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #8 of 8
I can't access the link that RealSlim posted, do these JVCs have build quality issues like their predecessor (from what I've read)? The SJ sounds like it's what I'm looking for, now that you mentioned the quick bass. As for the sound quality of the portapros, that's debatable, especially compared to the more recent technology. Their sound is fun but details are lacking and the bass is a bit uncontrolled.

I might just pick up the SJ's after all, they aren't very expensive so if I don't like them it wouldn't be much of a loss. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back