RIP SR60's
Sep 19, 2004 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Heyyoudvd

500+ Head-Fier
I've only had them for only about 3.5 years now and have kept them in decent condition, although the long cord has caught and pull on the headphones on several occasions over the years.

Anyways, the left channel suddenly stopped working for me yesterday. I wasn't really paying much attention while it happened, but while listening, there was a pop or click sound and the left earphone just stopped producing sound. The right still sounds fine, but the left is dead silent.

Is there any way to open them up to see for myself if things are still connected? If not, is there any way to have them repaired for a reasonable price or is all hope lost?

Dec 3, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 10
I have fixed several Grados. The wires in each of then came disconnected from the driver unit. The case is a two piece shell that's glued together. You pry it apart (carefully, so it opens on the seem rather than cracks the plastic), sodder the wire back on, and the glue the case back together. It was no big deal.

Dec 3, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 10
zowie. Its been over four (4) years since the OP posted the thread.
I bet he/she have either fixed or thrown them away by now.
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 10
Well, my sr80's decided to fail on me today, I owned them for 3 years and the right channel suddenly didn't work. I was able to open them up and the wires are still connected. Anyone have an idea what else could go wrong?

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 10
Oh man! I didn't see that this was a 'risen-from-the-dead' thread. Oofie, my offer stands for you if you would like. Might need to be re-cabled. I can do that too if you want. PM me. We are in the same city.

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 10
I had the same problem with my SR80 after 3 yrs. I opened them and I saw there was still connected. I checked the wires and found out that they were broken. There is a small piece of plastic that keeps them together, I took it apart and opened the wire cover and saw that the continuous movement had taken their toll on the cables. I joined them again, taped them and now they work. I did this because I haven't soldered anything in my life.

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #10 of 10
Oofie, that's probably a cable problem. Do you have a DMM or a friend with one? You can check the continuity and pinpoint the fault. What that does is pass a low current through the cable and driver. If you see no circuit through the cable, then it's bad. If you don't get continuity through the voicecoil, then the driver is bad. Usually, it's just the cable's fault, as a blown driver usually makes a bad, distorted sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back