Rip off UK!
Feb 25, 2006 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

adriatikfan

New Head-Fier
I ventured into the world of 'better' headphones this week with the purchase of a set of GRADO SR - 60s for £80.00. A reasonable price here in the UK, given that some vendors (including online ones) have them at £109.00.

I've just seen through the HeadFi link that these can be purchased new in the USA for $69.00, (although 'licensing arrangements' with GRADO mean they cannot be sold to the UK).

I am accustomed to us having to pay more for things, even dollar to pound price matching but this does seem excessive. Where does all the extra profit from the UK sales go? Is it the retailer? Is it tax?
confused.gif

Best Wishes
David

Feb 25, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by adriatikfan
Is it the retailer? Is it tax?
confused.gif

Both. As an example a retailer will buy a Musical Fidelity X-CAN V3 from Musical Fidelity for £107. They will sell it to you for £249. £142 profit to the retailer. Answer your question?

Feb 25, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 42
Grados are almost twice the price in europe. In Norway the RS-1 retails for $1360.

Feb 25, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sniks7
People tend to try and make a gross profit of 66% over here. Include the VAT, a bit of transport and the import tax and you're probably there.

Yup, daylight robbery but that's what you get when you live in a democratic dictatorship... ie: you have a choice of which dictator you'd like to vote into "power", once they're in you have no say in anything.

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 42
I got a pair of er4p off amazon.co.uk for £160 a few months ago, which is a high price even including VAT. True, you can buy it for better price from the us, but you have to pay high import duty on receiving.
mad.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 42
Import fee's don't have to be a problem. Why not buy from a US head-fier? I bought my SR-225's form a head-fier and I bought my RS-1's from ebay (US seller).

Screw the government.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #11 of 42
Exactly why the Grados are regarded as poor value for sound quality in the UK. (Also helps Sennheiser and Beyer quite a lot)

It is a pity that Grado don't allow a free worldwide market so that we can order direct from the USA.

I don't know if it's just me, but I suspect that the USA guys do a lot better when say ordering Beyers on the Internet.

Ian

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobs
Grados are almost twice the price in europe. In Norway the RS-1 retails for $1360.

Thats outrageous
eek.gif

I've read that in UK the 325 retails for nearly the same price as RS-1.

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sniks7
ejoy - next time try audiocubes. They put in an invioce that comes to less than the amount for which duty is payable. Cheeky, but handy if you want 1/3 discount.

I'm now hunting for an hd600. I have a look at that site, they are selling stax 007 but no senns
mad.gif

I think buying 2nd hand from headfi member is also a good option, just telling them to mark the headphone as "gift".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back