Rip off UK!
Feb 25, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #31 of 42
IIRC you can be charged upto 15% Customs (depends on what the imported item is) - So, it could look like this:

Item cost + Postage = Total Value
Total Value x Customs Duty Rate (15%) = Customs Duty
(Total Value + Customs Duty) x 17.5% = VAT

And certain people (FedEx/DHL) charge a fee on top (as they pay the import costs when the item enters the country).

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #32 of 42
I hate import duty. I buy something from a fellow head-fier and I get 17.5% import duty (collected by UK government) PLUS some sort of customs clearance fee (collected by Royal Mail or Parcel Force). I believe this happens to EVERY SINGLE package above 30 pounds in value. It is unavoidable unless the seller/importer puts down the value as less than 30 pounds on the customs clearance form. This is a good way to bypass customs, but the thing is, now you can't have insurance because the actual value insured won't only be 30 pounds, but the full value of the item!

Bottom line is, by from within the EU. No import duties to pay...

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #33 of 42
I think they charge on anything over £18, I've found some people are more than happy to mark items down - Others don't
frown.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dork Knight
I think they charge on anything over £18, I've found some people are more than happy to mark items down - Others don't
frown.gif

18 pounds is for non-gift items. If you mark down the item as a gift, the threshhold is increased to 30-38 pounds or something.

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #35 of 42
Wow, I've had things come in that have been marked down to $100 + shipping and haven't been charged a penny. Once it was marked as a gift and the other time just as merchandise.

I set aside some money for it, but I've never had anything. Maybe I have friends in parcelforce?
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall2072
Wow, I've had things come in that have been marked down to $100 + shipping and haven't been charged a penny. Once it was marked as a gift and the other time just as merchandise.

I set aside some money for it, but I've never had anything. Maybe I have friends in parcelforce?
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

You are a lucky chap. Parcelforce are known to be ruthless about import duties! They are quite keen on this whole customs tax thing: nice glossy sticker with printout of the taxes to be paid, service charge, etc

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Parcelforce are known to be ruthless about import duties! They are quite keen on this whole customs tax thing: nice glossy sticker with printout of the taxes to be paid, service charge, etc

..... and you're lucky if it arrives in one piece with Arcelforce.

Ian

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #38 of 42
I know, I've heard they like to "forget" that they've taken things home with them if its something they want. Fortunately we seem to have a good depot in Southampton and the same bloke comes to my door so basically he knows me buy now... he's even taken it upon himself to sign my signiture for me!!!
eek.gif
That was a bit of a shock, but as long as I've got my stuff I'm happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Although it is slightly worrying... but I haven't had a problem yet and hopefully I won't.
eggosmile.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall2072
I know, I've heard they like to "take" objects home if its something they want.
smily_headphones1.gif

I actually watched an 'ArceForce' guy chucking my parcel in the air as he walked from my garden gate. I refused to sign and he refused to deliver and I complained to the BigArceForce' man about the idiot.

I contacted the company, who sent another parcel via another company and they takled the big Arce.
eek.gif

Bit of a bugger when you've paid all those taxes too.

Ian

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #40 of 42
I bought some cable from Canada (DIY stuff), about $45, paid £7 on various duties. I bought a portable stax thing from Japan for $250 (£150), paid no customs. Dumb really.

Still, it makes me feel like a modern day smuggler which is nice.

Feb 25, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #41 of 42
I've had two tax experiences.

1st one was my SR325i.

Purchased for 160 pounds. Tax + service charge was another 40 pounds. (Arcleforce 24)

2nd one was my RnB cable.

Purchased for 38 pounds. Tax + service charge was another 9 pounds. (USPS Global Priority Mail)

Feb 25, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
You are a lucky chap. Parcelforce are known to be ruthless about import duties! They are quite keen on this whole customs tax thing: nice glossy sticker with printout of the taxes to be paid, service charge, etc

They are now.They didn't use to be.

In the past they would ask for payment on delivery,I had at lest two parcels with a payment sticker on that were left and no money was collected,one was an item for approx £700 insured value.They now send a letter with the charges,you pay,then they deliver the goods

Users who are viewing this thread

Back