RIP Jack Palance
Nov 12, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
My first introduction to him was as the host of Ripley's Believe It or Not! show.

Wow. I had forgotten about that. He was great when he said "Believe it...........or not." Great voice.

Loved him in City Slickers. I guess that is what most people my age will remember him for.

Nov 12, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 12
Jack's real name was Vladimir Palaniuk . My first introduction to Jack Palance goes back to the early 60's when he appeared on some weekly TV show about a circus. He creeped me out ... something about that nasty smirk he always seemed to be wearing really bothered me. A feeling of dislike for him stuck with me for many years, even though his acting was always good. For some reason, probably because he made me laugh, his performance in City Slickers completely changed my opinion of him and I began to appreciate his work.

RIP Jack.

Nov 13, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #8 of 12
A life well lived, and roles well played. He will be missed, but his work will live on.

Nov 13, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #9 of 12
mbriant: The first time I perceived him differently in a non-bloke role was in "Out of Rosenheim" (aka "Bagdad Café") - nice movie, btw. He's probably as funny in there as in "City Slickers", but in a different way. And the way he acted together with Marianne Sägebrecht was just great. Anyway, I wonder what man he really was behind the bloke facade. Concluding from the wrinkles near his eyes, I could imagine that he was in fact quite humourous. And somehow it wouldn't surprise me if he had actually been a surprisingly thoughtful, deliberate and sensitive man. I hope he has a good afterlife, if there is one...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Nov 14, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
Just don't make him mad in the vo booth...

Ok, that was hilarious. Heard that a long time ago and forgot about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back