RIP David Bowie
Feb 16, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #46 of 50
Regarding headfi's lack of mentioning anything about Bowie's death, I understand that. It's a gear forum. If they addressed Bowie's passing, they'd have to start doing it for everyone.

Regarding Gaga's performance, it didn't hit the right notes with me either (although I generally appreciate her talents).

Regarding Blackstar, I find it to be genius, but at the same time I find parts of it somewhat difficult to listen to. But that doesn't stop me from listening to it all of the time.

Anyway, the man was an incredible talent.

GAGA has tremendous range and reach in her vocals. Unfortunately a cobbled together montage in a few weeks does not allow f an artist who is unfamiliar with the material, the same latitude a studio album does. The 7P's apply here and she ignored all of them.

I am still lukewarm on Blackstar (even through the 990's|:). I really was wishing he would have hung in there long enough to do the re edit of Outside that was in the works. That particular album never really got a fair shake from the word go. It was a much broader scoped album that probably should have been a double disk. I have no idea if Eno is able to do the work intended for a re release.

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #47 of 50
GAGA has tremendous range and reach in her vocals. Unfortunately a cobbled together montage in a few weeks does not allow f an artist who is unfamiliar with the material, the same latitude a studio album does. The 7P's apply here and she ignored all of them.
I am still lukewarm on Blackstar (even through the 990's|:). I really was wishing he would have hung in there long enough to do the re edit of Outside that was in the works. That particular album never really got a fair shake from the word go. It was a much broader scoped album that probably should have been a double disk. I have no idea if Eno is able to do the work intended for a re release.

I completely agree...I like "Blackstar," but for me it's a slow grower. I find that I notice new lyrical/musical elements each time that I listen to it. That is a sign of a good piece of music in my experience. I also agree that "Outside" was extremely underrated. "The Heart's Filthy Lesson," "Hallo Spaceboy" great stuff. It almost reminded me of "Diamond Dogs" (which was the album that made me a Bowie fan in the first place...) Bowie and Eno have always complimented each other. There was a synergy there like with Eno and Talking Heads. That was also the period when Bowie was collaborating with Trent Reznor. I thought that there was an incredible synergy there as well. I'm sure that Eno will complete the reissue and I'll be there to buy it when it's complete...   7P's?

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #50 of 50
Blackstar is interesting - musically as well as lyrically - even though, like @Hutnicks, I haven't completely warmed to it yet. I'd probably say it's the most interesting album since Scary Monsters, to me at least. The one song I can't get to grips with though is 'Tis a Pity... don't really get what it's about (assuming it's not just literal!) and the melody just kinda grates. Faves at the moment are probably Lazarus, Girl Loves Me and Dollar Days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back