RIP David Bowie
Jan 16, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #31 of 50
Utterly absysmal lack of coverage and comment on Bowie's passing. I even pm'd Jude about it but got no reply.

Shame on you Head-fi.

Completely agree, absolute disgrace. Can't fathom why head-fi didn't even acknowledge his passing. The reason we support this site is that ultimately we are music lovers first and foremost. Without the likes of David Bowie this site and similar ones would need not exist.

Open your own site.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #33 of 50
BlackStar - David Bowie's swan song - released on his 69th birthday - two days before his death

I felt the first time I heard this album that it had excellence....but after listening a few times over the last month
I  can say that this album is one of his very best and is essential listening for any music fan that likes Bowie's music

....the album combines ethereal refined soundscapes -  being transported into Bowie's dreamscapes and his 
innermost being - incredibly intimate and refined dreamscapes

....in being transported to a totally complete, realistic dreamscape...reminds me of Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel,
some of the Beatles....surreal immersion....

the ethereal soundscapes are supported by lush bass instruments that give it their foundation

can't recommend Backstar enough.....took me a few listens to fully get it but I enjoyed it from day one

not rock n'roll like Ziggy Stardust but I think more refined and nuanced and just as enjoyable 

....genius

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #34 of 50
BlackStar - David Bowie's swan song - released on his 69th birthday - two days before his death

I felt the first time I heard this album that it had excellence....but after listening a few times over the last month
I  can say that this album is one of his very best and is essential listening for any music fan that likes Bowie's music

....the album combines ethereal refined soundscapes -  being transported into Bowie's dreamscapes and his 

....in being transported to a totally complete, realistic dreamscape...reminds me of Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel,

the ethereal soundscapes are supported by lush bass instruments that give it their foundation

can't recommend Backstar enough.....took me a few listens to fully get it but I enjoyed it from day one

not rock n'roll like Ziggy Stardust but I think more refined and nuanced and just as enjoyable 

....genius

Amen

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #35 of 50

....genius

Very nice description of my "Backstar" listening experience as well...oh, what might have been...

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #36 of 50
It might be better to resist posting my opinion on the topic, because I don't really want to start an argument about the Grammy Awards. However, I feel compelled to express my disappointment with Lady Gaga's tribute to David Bowie last night. To be honest, I never watch the Grammy Awards because, through the years, they have rarely recognized the bands that I like or the music that I listen to. However, I watched last night specifically because I knew that the Bowie tribute was going to take place. I have nothing against Lady Gaga. I thought that she did a great job with the National Anthem at the most recent Super Bowl. I also read her thoughts about David Bowie's death, and she obviously reveres him. (I saw on the news this morning, that just before Bowie's death, she got the image of Bowie's face from the "Aladdin Sane" album tattooed on her side...) I just thought that the arrangements of the chosen songs was poorly done, and frankly the entire performance reminded me of something resembling a "muzak/broadway show" presentation. I was also disappointed that they didn't take some time for a verbal tribute to, or retrospective of Bowie's career and influence. (ditto for Glenn Frey and B.B. King...) They skipped Natalie Cole and others all together! Anyway, the Grammy Awards continue to disappoint...

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #37 of 50
  It might be better to resist posting my opinion on the topic, because I don't really want to start an argument about the Grammy Awards. However, I feel compelled to express my disappointment with Lady Gaga's tribute to David Bowie last night. To be honest I never watch the Grammy Awards, because through the years they rarely recognize the music that I listen to. However, I watched this time specifically because I knew that the Bowie tribute was going to take place. I have nothing against Lady Gaga. I thought that she did a great job with the National Anthem at the most recent Super Bowl. I also read her thoughts about David Bowie's death, and she obviously reveres him. I just thought that the arrangements of the chosen songs was poorly done, and frankly the entire performance reminded me of something resembling a "muzak/broadway show" presentation. I was also disappointed that they didn't take some time for a verbal tribute to or retrospective of Bowie's career and influence. (ditto for Glenn Frey...) They skipped Natalie Cole and others all together! Anyway, the Grammy's continues to disappoint...

Does anyone actually take the Grammys seriously? I've always thought of them more as a joke than anything...

Feb 16, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #39 of 50
  It might be better to resist posting my opinion on the topic, because I don't really want to start an argument about the Grammy Awards. However, I feel compelled to express my disappointment with Lady Gaga's tribute to David Bowie last night. To be honest, I never watch the Grammy Awards because, through the years, they have rarely recognized the bands that I like or the music that I listen to. However, I watched last night specifically because I knew that the Bowie tribute was going to take place. I have nothing against Lady Gaga. I thought that she did a great job with the National Anthem at the most recent Super Bowl. I also read her thoughts about David Bowie's death, and she obviously reveres him. (I saw on the news this morning, that just before Bowie's death, she got the image of Bowie's face from the "Aladdin Sane" album tattooed on her side...) I just thought that the arrangements of the chosen songs was poorly done, and frankly the entire performance reminded me of something resembling a "muzak/broadway show" presentation. I was also disappointed that they didn't take some time for a verbal tribute to, or retrospective of Bowie's career and influence. (ditto for Glenn Frey and B.B. King...) They skipped Natalie Cole and others all together! Anyway, the Grammy Awards continue to disappoint...

Agree it was not well done.  She tried to cram way too many songs into a short window.  As you said, the arrangements were not good.  I think she could have selected songs more to her vocal strengths, as well. Sounds like she's a big Bowie fan but I think there were other performers that could have pulled this off better, some with more direct ties to Bowie.  It was good that Nile Rodgers was a part of the performance though.

David's son Duncan Tweeted this after the performance:

Duncan JonesVerified account@ManMadeMoon

"overexcited or irrational, typically as a result of infatuation or excessive enthusiasm; mentally confused." Damn it! What IS that word!?

I saw on another board, people were saying Bowie's long time producer Tony Visconti was "liking" some posts on Facebook, which bashed the performance.

Feb 16, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #40 of 50
Just finally got up the nerve to watch it.

OUCH!

Pretty hard for me to summon sorrow for mutlizillionaire artists these days but I was embarrassed for her.  She's professional enough to know she cannot carry Bowies vocals and really should have gracefully declined.

They would have been much better off licensing the footage from Sound and Vision and cutting that into a medley.

Feb 16, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #41 of 50
OUCH!
They would have been much better off licensing the footage from Sound and Vision and cutting that into a medley.

Actually I think that would have been an excellent idea. It should have been more like how the Oscar's handle a memorial tribute to an actor who has passed away. Gaga or someone could have done kind of a eulogy with a video/music montage. It wouldn't have to have been that long. It would have been in better taste that's for sure.

Feb 16, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #42 of 50
  Actually I think that would have been an excellent idea. It should have been more like how the Oscar's handle a memorial tribute to an actor who has passed away. Gaga or someone could have done kind of a eulogy with a video/music montage. It wouldn't have to have been that long. It would have been in better taste that's for sure.

Yes.

The crux of my issue with that performance is that anyone who did not know of Bowies work, would learn absolutely nothing about it or him.

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #43 of 50
I think it starts off nicely...then around the two minute mark becomes mediocre.  The problem isn't GaGa's abilities or suitability
for this material but treating much of the music as party music, totally ignoring Bowie's dark edge - just as many totally
missed it (his deeper, darker meanings) during his lifetime.

Fist two minutes, decent.....after that, forgettable. The treatment would have suited a party band, not Bowie.

I recommend all Bowie lovers listen to Blackstar......so much excellence there!

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #44 of 50
  I recommend all Bowie lovers listen to Blackstar......so much excellence there!

Blackstar is amazing.  It's nothing like anything he's ever done before but still very accessible and uniquely him.

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #45 of 50
Regarding headfi's lack of mentioning anything about Bowie's death, I understand that. It's a gear forum. If they addressed Bowie's passing, they'd have to start doing it for everyone.

Regarding Gaga's performance, it didn't hit the right notes with me either (although I generally appreciate her talents).

Regarding Blackstar, I find it to be genius, but at the same time I find parts of it somewhat difficult to listen to. But that doesn't stop me from listening to it all of the time.

Anyway, the man was an incredible talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back