RIP: A500...
Apr 6, 2006 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

EightyEight

100+ Head-Fier
So, my nephew was over a few weeks back and he ended up breaking my headphones while I wasn't home. (This is what I get for taking him to Disneyland...)
rolleyes.gif
So I've been basically living off my e2c for a while. I think I'm ready to move on, but I'm debating as to whether I should get another pair of A500 or step it up a notch and grab a A900 or maybe even a A900LTD? I guess it's kind of stupid to be asking that question on this forum since you guys will rob me of my wallet (no offense). I really like the signature of the Audio Technica's but at the same time I haven't really explored other cans. I don't know I'm just confused, so excuse my jibberish talk. Oh, and rest in "pieces" A500...

P.S. I'm back, after a year of being away from these forums...I just got into car audio and riding my 600RR
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by EightyEight
So, my nephew was over a few weeks back and he ended up breaking my headphones while I wasn't home. (This is what I get for taking him to Disneyland...)
rolleyes.gif
So I've been basically living off my e2c for a while. I think I'm ready to move on, but I'm debating as to whether I should get another pair of A500 or step it up a notch and grab a A900 or maybe even a A900LTD? I guess it's kind of stupid to be asking that question on this forum since you guys will rob me of my wallet (no offense). I really like the signature of the Audio Technica's but at the same time I haven't really explored other cans. I don't know I'm just confused, so excuse my jibberish talk. Oh, and rest in "pieces" A500...

P.S. I'm back, after a year of being away from these forums...I just got into car audio and riding my 600RR
smily_headphones1.gif

If you really liked your A500s as an all arounder, nothing wrong with replacing them. I myself am going to bump up to the 900s since I feel the difference is worth the extra $.

As far as the LTD, thats a big stretch. Some people claim its worth every penny but I cant see how as they are commanding top dollar due to "limited" status. Personally Id rather have an a900 and another $150 to buy a completely different set of phones on the opposite end of the phone spectrum from the ATs than one pair of 900Ltds. But Ive always wanted diversity.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by EightyEight
rolleyes.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

If you dont have interest to spend on source and amps, then go for A900's. You'll get slight improvement with A900LTD's over A500 or A900 if you drive them unamped. But if you feed them power, they becomes wild.
basshead.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 9
How would A900LTD(unamped) vs A900($150 amp fund available) compare? AND if I do decide to go with the A900LTD where can I find them? Audiocubes do not carry them anymore.
mad.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by stmpjmp
If you really liked your A500s as an all arounder, nothing wrong with replacing them. I myself am going to bump up to the 900s since I feel the difference is worth the extra $.

As far as the LTD, thats a big stretch. Some people claim its worth every penny but I cant see how as they are commanding top dollar due to "limited" status. Personally Id rather have an a900 and another $150 to buy a completely different set of phones on the opposite end of the phone spectrum from the ATs than one pair of 900Ltds. But Ive always wanted diversity.

Please watch out properly about those who said there is minor difference and who said day and night difference.

All unamped driven A900LTD's reported slight difference while those who had better source and amp. reported day and night difference.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
Please watch out properly about those who said there is minor difference and who said day and night difference.

All unamped driven A900LTD's reported slight difference while those who had better source and amp. reported day and night difference.

Ill agree with that statement 100% with the explaination that I never assume someone has a good amp (or will buy one soon) unless they say so. You can walk out of a store with headphones and not buying an amp (most people do) It can often be unwise but it can easily be done.

And yeah, the 900LTDs dig an amp. It just adds even more to the total bill though so be aware.

Apr 6, 2006 at 11:18 AM Post #8 of 9
If you are also thinking of adding an amp in the not too distant future - consider an AKG k271S, which you should be able to find on eBay for $160-170, which is less than the std A900. The momentary advantage of A900 is they achieve their near max sound quality as unamped cans. However, if you're buying an amp - the AKG k271S provide better sound. Suggest you consider a Portaphile with those cans - and you will likely have spent less $ than you would have with simply a pair of A900LTD.

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:18 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
If you are also thinking of adding an amp in the not too distant future - consider an AKG k271S, which you should be able to find on eBay for $160-170, which is less than the std A900. The momentary advantage of A900 is they achieve their near max sound quality as unamped cans. However, if you're buying an amp - the AKG k271S provide better sound. Suggest you consider a Portaphile with those cans - and you will likely have spent less $ than you would have with simply a pair of A900LTD.

K271S are great phones too... But as reviews says. With desired setup A900LTD's are arguably better then HD650 and recabled DT880. While just one member reported this. But several members rated W1000's equal or better then DT650 and DT880. And you can search the forum or google for A900LTD vs. W1000 comparision. A900LTD's are comparable with HD650 and DT880 while it's arguable that which one take the crown with their desired setup.
smily_headphones1.gif

If there is any comparision between HD650 or DT880 vs. K271S then we can figure out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back