RioVolt SP150
Jan 4, 2003 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

itim100

Head-Fier
Im new here, and i kinda would like to know how you guys feel about the RioVolt series, particularly the SP150. I know you'll say they kinda suck, but what specifically is so horrible? Thanx!

Jan 5, 2003 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 4
I have a RioVolt SP100 and though I am waiting for it to come back working (had to send it in, it just stopped working one day) I really like it a lot. Most people say that the iRiver mp3/cd players and clones (RioVolts) are the best on the market for what they do, with iRiver's being the better models because of the more frequent and better firmware upgrades. These are probably the best MP3 PCDPs on the market for their features. They have not been dissed that much for sound quality, actually, they have fairly good sound IMO, though one annoyance that has bothered some users but not others regarding their sound is that they are not perfectly quiet, they have a low steady hiss. Now, I haven't gotten to try any high end headphones on mine (just got some Sony D66 Eggos the other day and still awaiting my player back) but what I heard never bothered me. You can hear the hiss, but not when music is playing, and frankly, it isn't all that bad, not any worse than my other PCDP, a fairly old Sony model. The iRiver or RioVolt MP3/CD players are the ONLY ones I would buy, because they simply do everything that I want one to do. Mine is easy to navigate, the screen is backlit, it supports playlists (though for some reason I noticed on some playlists it was cutting off the last track, I am still trying to figure that one out), it supports ID3 tags. Another thing to note is that iRiver has Ogg Vorbis support in the works as a firmware upgrade, which will REALLY make me happy when it comes out. Well, let me think a while and see if I can think of a better MP3/CD player on the market and I'll get back to you...oh, and a heads up, for some reason, the audiophiles on this board are head over heels for MiniDisc players, and I have no idea why, I have suspected it because of the optical in and out capabilities of certain models of these, as well as not being prone to scratches, etc, that could possibly affect the sound. I do not see the use in supporting MiniDiscs when CD-R media is such low priced these days and it uses a proprietary SONY format called ATRAC. I would really like to hear why MD is so grandly supported at Head-Fi...

Jan 5, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 4
The Rio Volt series has noisy lineouts that are also affected by the volume control and EQ settings. Therefore it is not a 'true' lineout which should bypass a crappy amp section (that's the whole point!). So they are not good candidates for use with an external amp. I hear the Sony models have better/quieter lineouts.

The headphone outs on the Volt 50, 90, 100, & 150 are 7mW per channel, while the Volt 250 ups that to 12mW. Either are ok for efficient portable cans but not enough for more demanding ones. It is also not the cleanest headphone-out I've heard.

The 100 & 250 models come with an AC adapter, wired remote, and a decent protective case. The other newer models do not have these. The 100 is also firmware upgradable (as is the 250), while the others are not supported for that (but may possibly be done with some well-published hacks). I have a Volt 100, and just upgraded the firmware to v2.09. I find the functionality so improved (from barely usable with the old v1.09 firmware) that I now split my portable use between my Sharp MD and the Volt. The sound is much better on the MD though (better DAC, better amp on the MD).

Hope that helps.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

The sound is much better on the MD though (better DAC, better amp on the MD).

Hmm, any regular CD players with comparable or better amps and DACs as MD players?

I had noticed that about the lineout on my RioVolt, and didn't really know what to think...hmm, what was the point then to add a line out, just a different power output?

Oh, btw, v 2.12 is availiable for the firmware, wish I could try it
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back