Rio Karma
Sep 16, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #16 of 28
The controls are great because they are completely one handed.  The recent plague of touch screens makes it damn near impossible without stopping what you're doing and having to look at the damn screen because you can't feel where the buttons are.  I can't change anything on my D2+ without having to take my eyes off the road so I can only do it at stoplights.  I used to be able to change the settings on my karma without even having to look at it, and it was dead easy to create playlists while on the road.

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #17 of 28

Quote:
The controls are great because they are completely one handed.  The recent plague of touch screens makes it damn near impossible without stopping what you're doing and having to look at the damn screen because you can't feel where the buttons are.  I can't change anything on my D2+ without having to take my eyes off the road so I can only do it at stoplights.  I used to be able to change the settings on my karma without even having to look at it, and it was dead easy to create playlists while on the road.

Agreed. Im starting to like the scrolling wheel alot. The square shape makes it easy to use with a single hand.

Sep 19, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #18 of 28
Have you worked on the EQ Setup?

If not, try these settings:

Center:       Width    
12K            1.2
2K              1.2
400Hz         1.2
120Hz         0.8
60Hz           1.0

It's a wonderful sounding DAP, I have yet to hear another DAP sound like the Karma.

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #19 of 28

Quote:
The built in amp is the loudest I have heard...It drives SR60's to LOUD levels. I still haven't had time to get the driver working in windows7 so that may be a hurdle to you. But the sound quality is outstanding and the interface on the player is quite nice.

Drivers won't work with Windows 7, so anyone with  this OS version, don't pick up a Rio Karma from Ebay etc.  Unless, anyone knows a  solution to this.
 I can only agree with many posters that The Karma sounds unique ( great EQ functions) and very powerfull,  it's quite interesting that a "relic"  like the Rio Karma still can be so competive and in many cases better, when compared relative to sound presentation against more "modern" day DAP's.

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #20 of 28

Quote:
Drivers won't work with Windows 7, so anyone with  this OS version, don't pick up a Rio Karma from Ebay etc.  Unless, anyone knows a  solution to this.
 I can only agree with many posters that The Karma sounds unique ( great EQ functions) and very powerfull,  it's quite interesting that a "relic"  like the Rio Karma still can be so competive and in many cases better, when compared relative to sound presentation against more "modern" day DAP's.

This might help people with windows 7 professional to get the rio working without issues.

1. Go to MS site and confirm your PC can run virtualization mode; most multi-core CPUs are ok but virtualization may need to be enabled in BIOS

2. If you're good to go, d/l and install whatever MS says you need to run XP Mode

3. Once set up, run XP Mode; takes a while to start the first time.  Note that it's exactly the same as running another PC; you'll get nags about installing antivirus and XP updates

4. Go to DNNA site and d/l Rio Music Manager and Rio Drivers installers

5. Install both above, launch RMM and scan your music library.  Note that your music library is probably in your "Win7" file directory so you'll need to navigate there during RMM setup

6. The last trick is getting the USB to the Karma to connect.  Do this by clicking on the "USB" text in the XP Mode window top menu.  It will drop down a list of things you can attach including "Rio Karma"!

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #22 of 28

Quote:

This might help people with windows 7 professional to get the rio working without issues.

1. Go to MS site and confirm your PC can run virtualization mode; most multi-core CPUs are ok but virtualization may need to be enabled in BIOS

2. If you're good to go, d/l and install whatever MS says you need to run XP Mode

3. Once set up, run XP Mode; takes a while to start the first time.  Note that it's exactly the same as running another PC; you'll get nags about installing antivirus and XP updates

4. Go to DNNA site and d/l Rio Music Manager and Rio Drivers installers

5. Install both above, launch RMM and scan your music library.  Note that your music library is probably in your "Win7" file directory so you'll need to navigate there during RMM setup

6. The last trick is getting the USB to the Karma to connect.  Do this by clicking on the "USB" text in the XP Mode window top menu.  It will drop down a list of things you can attach including "Rio Karma"!

Nice, very well done. Thanks for taking your time presenting this info.

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #23 of 28

Quote:
The Karma isn't as good for driving low Ω earphones as modern players, but as said, its interface is pretty class A and its sound is good (within the less strenuous 50-80Ω range, it is one of the best)

Yes, it does have a graphical roll off in lower frequencies with lower ohm earphones. I'm not quite sure my ears can pick up what  is presented to my eyes :),
but I guess that's just one of  my many flaws.
I still find the EQ functionality more than acceptable to somewhat compensate for this issue. But the Rio Karma does as an example drive my Senn. HD-25-II and DBA-02 very well to a level that can't be beat by many DAP's alone.

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #24 of 28

Quote:
The Karma isn't as good for driving low Ω earphones as modern players, but as said, its interface is pretty class A and its sound is good (within the less strenuous 50-80Ω range, it is one of the best)

I run my se530's with the karma and it makes them sound like a total different beast.  They go from sounding warm and sluggish (iriver h180/h320) to tonally rich and musical with the karma.  The change is night and day. 

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #25 of 28
Of course - but that change is probably mostly do to the iRiver driving them to better overall resolution where the bass is allowed to come through more. I've not heard either player in a loooong time (former iRiver H320 owner), but I do remember it being pretty damn warm. It was also a pretty good (other than the hiss) pilot for low Ω earphones. 

The Karma sounds good, that is for sure, but overall, I wasn't as impressed with its SQ as I was with its features. It has become a man-eating legend in the days since Rio's demise. There is no such thing as total revolutions in sound that are based on the same technology. Moving from different formats (e.g. from cassette to LP, or from LP to CD, for instance) reveal those huge differences. Clarity and resolution - gains in either one make sense, but no to the detriment of another player. Tonal differences aside, the iRiver is a very good player with very good SQ. I'd not put it behind the Karma for other than overall function as a music playback device. Too warm, maybe, but top flight for sure.

Sep 21, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #26 of 28
Wow, blast from the past!  If this was the little yellow mp3 player with the red toggle, it was my first workout player.  Can't remember how it sounded compared to others, but it was remarkably easy to use while running and very ahead of it's time for active use.

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #28 of 28
Unless you are using 64bit OS.  32bit windows 7 works with Rio Karma without problem using regular RMM (no xp mode needed).

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back