Rio Karma Questions...
Nov 29, 2005 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

seeberg

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I got my Karma back from being replaced- it had a bad HDD and screen, or so it seemed. Well, it's time to set it up properly and I could really use some help, so here are a few questions:

1)- Is it possible to play tracks on my Karma trhough Winamp? How would I set it up to do this if I can?

2)- My MP3 collection is essentially tagless, but essential info remains, like this:
"[folder]Artist - Album" -> "[file]Track # - Title - Artist"
To make it so I can browse in an album tree setting on my Karma, would I have to give all my tracks an album tag, or would I have to go through and retag as much as possible to get it to navigate properly? What software can do this easily?

3)- Is it easy to connect the Karma via ethernet network connection, and would I have to use a router or hub to connect my dock to my network card, or can it be hooked up directly?

Any help here is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
580smile.gif
Abe

Nov 29, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 9
1) no.
2) the rio karma uses id3 tags to display song info. you'll have to retag all of your songs in order to navigate easily on your karma. do a google search for tagscanner. that's what i use. you can rename and tag your mp3s.
3) i think you'll need a crossover cable. may i ask why you wanna do this?

Nov 30, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orestes
1) no.
2) the rio karma uses id3 tags to display song info. you'll have to retag all of your songs in order to navigate easily on your karma. do a google search for tagscanner. that's what i use. you can rename and tag your mp3s.
3) i think you'll need a crossover cable. may i ask why you wanna do this?

Hmmm, I'll try that tagscanner software. So I can't do Winamp. That sucks, but I guess I can deal. Any other players that play nice with a Karma besides RMM? Also, I want to network my Karma if I can, for one to free up my USB connections, and two, to be able to access my music remotely if possible, but that isn't a necessity.

580smile.gif
Abe

Nov 30, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 9
You can also use Windows Media Player 10 to synchronize your Karma with your music library. I've tried it before but I think it's slower than RMM. And I was having issues with some songs not transferring. Just give it a go.

Just to let you know, the Karma's network connectivity is only limited to 10mbps (100Kb/s). It's slower than USB 1.1. If you still want to do it, you'll need RMM-lite. It's a free download, Java-based app. Just google it. =)

Enjoy your "new" Karma. The best music player, IMO.

Nov 30, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 9
The ethernet connection, is great in a pinch, but not worth doing unless you
don't have an alternative. As mentioned above a crossover cable should work
fine. You'll have to set the ip address on the player unless your pc is running
a dhcp server, but that's not a big deal.

If you're just trying to avoid using up a usb port, go buy a powered hub. If
you shop around a little bit, you should be able to find a decent usb2 hub with
external power for fairly cheap. I'm ballparking around $15-20 USD. If you've
got a Sam's Club or Costco available to you, try there first. I've found some
good bargains there for stuff. Alternatively, spend about the same, and put
a new usb card in your computer. Instant ports and no external hub to deal
with. If you go the hub route, don't power it off the usb connection. It will
work for low draw devices, but it can cause problems for some things.

good luck
-Jeff

Nov 30, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the info. Guess I'm stuck to what I'm using now, although it would have been nice to be able to play all my videogame rips from the Karma on my PC. Maybe I should just keep them there and keep all my regular music on my Karma and interface it as intended, with RMM. As of yet I haven't tried Tagscanner (I was really busy last night being lazy
smily_headphones1.gif
), but I will today and finally get everything set up properly.

580smile.gif
Abe

Dec 1, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 9
Update: OMG Holy crap!
biggrin.gif

That tagscanner software exceeded my expectations and was able do create perfect tags for all my files so far, and couldn't be easier to use once its parameters for tagging are set. Now that that's out of the way and my Karma is being injected with music (at 1.1 speeds, my PC is a POS), I guess it's now a matter of putting my dock in the most effective place, and possibly getting a USB cable with some panache: one that has lights and crap!
Now only if I could find a 6-10 footer that's inexpensive...
580smile.gif
Abe

Dec 1, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 9
glad you liked the proggy. been using it for years now. =)

Dec 1, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #9 of 9
Indeed, it's quite the killer app! I've already got 1422 tracks redone and on my Karma, all using a USB 1.1 connection
blink.gif

580smile.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back