Rio Carbon C.. I Think I Could Cry
Aug 30, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #16 of 22
Remember the scene at the end of planet of the apes with Charlton Heston on the beach screaming/crying? that's how I feel. Or how about that hydrogen airship disaster - Oh the humanity!!! so bummed!

Aug 30, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
okay I'm over it

I'm not.

It still hurts
frown.gif

Aug 30, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #19 of 22
Is there anyway to put in a big hard drive (40 gig+) in my karma and replace the battery?

Honestly I still haven't found anything that quite meets my needs. The iaudio 30 gig X5XL and iriver 340 come closest...

help!

stupid rio went down the tubes right before releasing the sucessor I have been iching for
frown.gif

Aug 31, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ptaaty
Is there anyway to put in a big hard drive (40 gig+) in my karma and replace the battery?

Yes:
A 20 or 30GB Hitachi Travelstar C4K60 (IDE interface) will directly replace the C4K40 unit that shipped with the Karma. With a little bit of Dremel work, you can fit a slightly-deeper 40 or 60GB C4K60 drive into the unit (they're 9.5mm deep, as opposed to the 7mm one-platter version). The 40GB C4K40 is also 9.5mm deep and will also mount into the Karma with a little massaging.
I've seen some speculation that some of the larger "Slim" Hitachis are only a millimeter or so larger than the one-platter C4K40 series drives and *MAY* fit without issue (I rather doubt this is true, though).

As for batteries, Rio Japan was selling replacement units for about $40 each, though I don't know if that's still in effect.

Aug 31, 2005 at 8:52 AM Post #21 of 22
Crap crap crap! Now I'm getting the upgraditis for a Rio Karma, big time. And I won't settle for 20GB's, it's gotta be 40GB at least. Oh how I wish there were a Karma under $100 with a failed HDD but with all accessories...
580smile.gif
Abe

Aug 31, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by C38368
Yes:
A 20 or 30GB Hitachi Travelstar C4K60 (IDE interface) will directly replace the C4K40 unit that shipped with the Karma. With a little bit of Dremel work, you can fit a slightly-deeper 40 or 60GB C4K60 drive into the unit (they're 9.5mm deep, as opposed to the 7mm one-platter version). The 40GB C4K40 is also 9.5mm deep and will also mount into the Karma with a little massaging.
I've seen some speculation that some of the larger "Slim" Hitachis are only a millimeter or so larger than the one-platter C4K40 series drives and *MAY* fit without issue (I rather doubt this is true, though).

As for batteries, Rio Japan was selling replacement units for about $40 each, though I don't know if that's still in effect.

I have some issues sinking the $180+ for the battery and hard drive in my old player as new toys are just so fun....

but the Karma is one of the high water marks for DAPs IMO. The IU, rio DJ, sound quality, param eq, and dock make it rock
smily_headphones1.gif

The only other players that have looked appealing are the iriver H340 with rockbox (I can't find one anymore) and iaudio x5l 30 gig (not wild about the stick or that stupid attachment for charging, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back