Rimi DNA, My second DIY headphones
Sep 7, 2011 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rhalf

100+ Head-Fier
Long after RalpHTX a new project became real. I wanted to achieve a killer pair of headphones for about $30 that would be pleasant to use in every way: sound, looks and comfort.

I put together a few parts. Speakers from Aiwa Shellz, housing from Sony MDR-770LP and a DIY cable made by my friend.

Speakers produce a nice sound. Analytical, midrangey, still with big bass, but little treble.  The housing weighs next to nothing, but it doesn't look good on everyone's head.

The cable turned out to be a great idea. It's surprisingly flexible and durable. Again, weighs nothing, but it's made of about 10 metres of wire. Yes, ten metres make one :)

So the result was really satisfying. If you were to buy headphones that are at the same time good looking, well sounding, durable and comfortable you'd have to pay a lot more. It's also funny how easy to make they are . I didn't use any glue or screws, the speakers just bind in place.
I have more Ideas considering 770LP's housing, but there isn't any pair on the horison. If you have one laying around, I could make some use of it :)
cheers!

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 4
Fascinating work.

Please explain the cable to me.  Is that thicker portion all braided 28-gauge, or is there a core of some sort?  It looks like it's wound around something, which sounds like a great way to make the braid flexible, sort of like a coiled cable.

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks!
Yes, they're all 28 gauge. It's two one-metre and other two four-metre wires braided around them. Ask any girl. They know how to braid :wink: I actually showed a picture of 6 wire Cryo cable to my friend, and she said she can do it with 4 wires. It took her only an hour. I was amazed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back