RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/headphones/tips Ranking list, Music list)
Aug 27, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #436 of 1,219
Ibasso IT00 review is up: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ibasso-it00.24516/reviews#item-review-24207

Grade: A-

I think the IT00 is a good iem at its price, but overhyped. For those that have a similar library to me (hiroyuki Sawano, anime OST, Linkin Park, Trance....) it doesnt suit that kind of music, so its not very versatile.

Waiting for my Tanchjim Oxygen to be shipped out, but once it has it will probably only take a week for me to get it with DHL Express. I am expecting a lot from it, so hopefully I wont be dissapointed. Other than that I dont have anything else coming right now.

The wait for the Moondrop SSP and the Tin Hifi P2 continues :joy:

Aug 27, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #437 of 1,219
I think the IT00 is a good iem at its price, but overhyped.
You think so too :wink:. I really like it for what it is, a bassy IEM with good technicalities for a budget (<$100) single DD IEM. It definitely has a fun tuning. It can be modded a lot, like @tgx78 did.

Aug 27, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #438 of 1,219
You think so too :wink:. I really like it for what it is, a bassy IEM with good technicalities for a budget (<$100) single DD IEM. It definitely has a fun tuning. It can be modded a lot, like @tgx78 did.
yeah, there arent many iems that are very bassy without the quality dropping like a stone or with a really bad timbre (looking at you TFZ No.3) in the sub 100 usd range.

Aug 27, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #439 of 1,219
yeah, there arent many iems that are very bassy without the quality dropping like a stone or with a really bad timbre (looking at you TFZ No.3) in the sub 100 usd range.
Yep, the IT00 and YBF are currently my bass kings, though I do prefer MY YBF a little more.

Aug 27, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #440 of 1,219
Yep, the IT00 and YBF are currently my bass kings, though I do prefer MY YBF a little more.
Yeah the YBF is better for me too than the IT00 (MY UNIT). But Its a gamble on what you are getting though, so cant recommend it...

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #441 of 1,219
2020-09:04: Added the Tanchjim Oxygen rank S and review is up: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tanchjim-oxygen.23545/reviews#item-review-24263

Best single DD I have ever heard, in terms of SQ and technicalities. :thumbsup:

Major update to my database concering my top tier iems:
Added a new score called "EX" for my "detailed iem ranking" page.

The EX score represents something that falls outside of the normal ranking scale, a value that cannot be quantified under the normal system because it is in a league of its own, powerful to the extent of rendering comparisons meaningless.
(inspired by https://typemoon.fandom.com/wiki/Parameter_Rules )

This score is only given to S, A+ and A ranked iems that does something at the top of its driver type.

For example the Tanchjim Oxygen is given 4 EX scores in details, instrument separation, female-vocal-quality and soundstage.
That means that the Oxygen is the best among the DD iems I have in those factors and also means that there wont be another DD iem with EX scores in those factors
(unless something dethrones the Oxygen in those factors and therefore the EX score goes to that new iem).

However it does not mean that it has better details than a hybrid/tri-brid (like the LZ A6 for example), just that it outperforms all other single DD´s in those factors.
But it does mean that it is still highly competitive even amongst other driver setups.

Not a lot of iems will get this score and even less will get multiple EX scores so this should make it a bit easier for you to see which one you would prefer.
Since comparing different driver setups is pretty much an apple to oranges comparison.

This also means I dont have to give a higher and higher score for each upgrade.
Take the LZ A6 for example, it has the biggest soundstage out of all my iems (previous score = 10).
But if there is a newer iem that has an even bigger soundstage, instead of giving it an 11 I just pass the EX score to it instead.
This prevents "power creep" (or I guess in this case "SQ creep" lol).

There is a little downside though and that is that the overall score will be a bit lower due to the EX score not being a numeric value.
It is fixed by the stars (*) that is given to the total scores on iems with EX ranks. With 1 star per EX score.
Another problem is that I cant sort it so that the highest scores are at the top (it messed up something in my sorting system...) but hopefully the color indication should be enough.

1-2 * = White
3-4 * = Green
5+ * = Blue

Sep 6, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #442 of 1,219
I have a question for you guys. Do you use EQ or not? Would you be interested if I created EQ presets for a lot of my iems? Basically tune it more to my taste and maybe fix some issues I have with them? The "Goku" target lol.

Sep 6, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #443 of 1,219
I have a question for you guys. Do you use EQ or not? Would you be interested if I created EQ presets for a lot of my iems? Basically tune it more to my taste and maybe fix some issues I have with them? The "Goku" target lol.

I try not to touch EQ as far as possible, only use it for some IEMs that have an offending peak (I try to bring down EQ rather than boost, and not more than 3 dB to prevent distortion). Also maybe sometimes use EQ for stage monitoring.

I know some audiophile purists who will never ever touch the EQ button haha.

Sep 6, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #444 of 1,219
I try not to touch EQ as far as possible, only use it for some IEMs that have an offending peak (I try to bring down EQ rather than boost, and not more than 3 dB to prevent distortion). Also maybe sometimes use EQ for stage monitoring.

I know some audiophile purists who will never ever touch the EQ button haha.
yup, that is also what I used to think too. But after hearing the changes in the Tin Hifi P1 with my EQ preset, I turned to the dark side :joy:

Sep 6, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #445 of 1,219
I also try not to use EQ much, not b/c of being a “purist” or some other weird sense of pride, but actually b/c I usually don’t trust myself, that I’m not making the sound more bizarre, and then getting myself used to such a sound signature. A big part of the reason I purchase different IEMs is to purchase the different tunings designed by their engineers. I have nothing against EQ though. When I do use EQ, I also try to follow the old recommendation to only tame peaks, and not artificially boost frequencies, but I think that advice was really meant more for speakers, to not add distortion and overdrive/clip amps. I think there is a lot more ”reserve/leeway” when dealing with IEMs.

Sep 6, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #446 of 1,219
I also try not to use EQ much, not b/c of being a “purist” or some other weird sense of pride, but actually b/c I usually don’t trust myself, that I’m not making the sound more bizarre, and then getting myself used to such a sound signature. A big part of the reason I purchase different IEMs is to purchase the different tunings designed by their engineers. I have nothing against EQ though. When I do use EQ, I also try to follow the old recommendation to only tame peaks, and not artificially boost frequencies, but I think that advice was really meant more for speakers, to not add distortion and overdrive/clip amps. I think there is a lot more ”reserve/leeway” when dealing with IEMs.
That distortion/clipping problem is prevented (or at least helped a lot) by having a preamp value set to the opposite value of the highest boost. So if you boost the bass by 4db you should have at least -4db in the preamp.

Of course I am not an expert in EQ, but that is what I have found to work when using EQ to boost frequencies.

Sep 6, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #447 of 1,219
I PEQ almost every single IEMs and headphones I have.
My goal always has been to grab the most technical and resolving drivers and garnish it to suit my taste. If the original tuning requires a drastic EQ approach, I do the physical modding first then fine tune with EQ.
I sometimes even pay for good EQ service. Like good presets provided by sonarworks where they measured my specific SDR modded H800 and made a few ideal PEQ values to tame the peaks and valleys.
My sonarworks tuned HD800 sounded better than Susvara for example.

I look at it this way, most people who buy their car, they drive them in stock setting and perfectly happy as is. And then there are few that want to extract little bit of extra performance by simply flashing ECU (preset EQ). Then lastly there are those who go even further to upgrade physical parts and customize ECU (modding and PEQ) to get the most out of their car.
Now some cars react more positively than others by tuning. Sort of like you not going to do a crazy mod to the Prius, but rather something like a new Civic with turbocharged engine will be pretty good place to start and see added benefits of tuning.

There are of course exceptions, like for example with the NF Audio or Moondrop stuff, I feel they have pretty solid tuning philosophy, so I tried to force myself not to alter their sound signature too much and appreciate them as is.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #448 of 1,219
I PEQ almost every single IEMs and headphones I have.
My goal always has been to grab the most technical and resolving drivers and garnish it to suit my taste. If the original tuning requires a drastic EQ approach, I do the physical modding first then fine tune with EQ.
I sometimes even pay for good EQ service. Like good presets provided by sonarworks where they measured my specific SDR modded H800 and made a few ideal PEQ values to tame the peaks and valleys.
My sonarworks tuned HD800 sounded better than Susvara for example.

I look at it this way, most people who buy their car, they drive them in stock setting and perfectly happy as is. And then there are few that want to extract little bit of extra performance by simply flashing ECU (preset EQ). Then lastly there are those who go even further to upgraded physical parts and customize ECU (modding and PEQ) to get the most out of their car.
Now some cars react more positively to others with tuning. Sort of like you not going to do a crazy mod to the Prius, but rather something like a new Civic with turbocharged engine will be pretty good place to start and see added benefits of tuning.

There are of course exceptions, like for example with the NF Audio or Moondrop stuff, I feel they have pretty solid tuning philosophy, so I tried to force myself not to alter their sound signature too much and appreciate them as is.
Wow paying for EQ service is something I didnt know existed lol. :joy:

Sep 6, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #449 of 1,219
Everything I have is pEQ'd if Oratory1990 has values..... And there isn't a single thing in my collection that doesn't sound better, if not much better, with pEQ. For iems Oratory target over Harman target. Everything is done on UAPP.

Sep 6, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #450 of 1,219
A18798A8-FEA3-49DF-BEA6-465EAB549E57.jpeg

Best $120 I ever spent! :)

It out resolved my uber$$$ 2-ch. system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back