RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/headphones/tips Ranking list, Music list)
Jun 11, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #1,141 of 1,219
Nice tournament!

Bro u need to try the Sony M7, M9 and IER Z1R one day!
I am interested in the M7 or the M9 tbh, but the non-vented shell and the price (25% vat -.-) are the issues.

Z1R is just an impossible fit for me lol. (and price).

Jun 11, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #1,142 of 1,219
Nice tournament!

Bro u need to try the Sony M7, M9 and IER Z1R one day!

I am interested in the M7 or the M9 tbh, but the non-vented shell and the price (25% vat -.-) are the issues.

Z1R is just an impossible fit for me lol. (and price).

Agree with @baskingshark bro, if you a Sony fan (I guess im being unconsciously Sony fan too) you have to try the trio IER series.
I'm lucky to have experience with those 3 (and other Sonys as well including N3-AP). Those three musketeers have great tuning and technicalities, especially on details and imaging.
The M7 and M9 (same shape shell, different material used) have one of the best fit among all IEMs, but as you said they are non vented IEM (and made to be that way as monitor for professional musicians) some have issue with sucking effect but you can pinch a hole on eartips (get aftermarket sony eartips, so you can keep the ones that came with the package on original state)
As for Z1R, they are the best Sony if not one of the best IEM among other TOTL. Their bass is the best bass i ever heard from an IEM, the texture, the punch, the depth, the speed. Period.
As for the fit, actually they aren't as difficult as it looked, they are thick and heavy, but not difficult to fit although I agree the back side of the Z1R is a bit sharp and made my back concha bit hot after some time wearing them.
You have to try if you got chance to demo them really.
As for money, sell some of your unused IEMs, break your savings and promise that you won't buy another IEM. You can do it bro 😂

Jun 12, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #1,143 of 1,219
As for Z1R, they are the best Sony if not one of the best IEM among other TOTL. Their bass is the best bass i ever heard from an IEM, the texture, the punch, the depth, the speed. Period.
As for the fit, actually they aren't as difficult as it looked, they are thick and heavy, but not difficult to fit although I agree the back side of the Z1R is a bit sharp and made my back concha bit hot after some time wearing them.
yeah, I heard good stuff about this. But its the size that is the issue, I have pretty small ears so that the dealbreaker here.

As for money, sell some of your unused IEMs, break your savings and promise that you won't buy another IEM. You can do it bro 😂
If I get rich from selling buds, maybe I consider one of them lol.

Jun 12, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #1,144 of 1,219
yeah, I heard good stuff about this. But its the size that is the issue, I have pretty small ears so that the dealbreaker here.

If I get rich from selling buds, maybe I consider one of them lol.

Actually I sold a few IEMs away to get a second hand IER M9. Bought it at slightly below $500 USD. Imagine, just ponying up a few budget CHIFI sets that are in the drawer unused and just upgrade up the line and hopefully call it a day haha.

Ya M9 has a suction effect as per some unvented BA types, but that assists in isolation for stage monitoring (which is one its designed roles). Some tips cause less suction than others though.

As for Z1R, I think it has one of the best bass for an IEM, but the caveat is the fit and size yes. I couldn't get a good fit with it, so no point sounding heavenly if it can't be used for more than a couple of minutes. Also it was overly V shaped for me, the mids were quite recessed, so even TOTL sets have weaknesses. Maybe u can go audition a set to see if the fitting suits u?

Jun 12, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #1,145 of 1,219
Jun 13, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #1,146 of 1,219
Jun 20, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #1,147 of 1,219
Jul 18, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #1,148 of 1,219
Any recommendations for a mesh filter/nozzle filter for the S12 that will keep out debris (I have psoriasis in my outer ears that sometimes results in “debris” clogging up the filter/nozzle)? Or a tip that has cleanable/removable “debris” filter. Not trying to adjust the sound; I'll do that via EQ.

Have S12 on order.

TIA!

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #1,149 of 1,219
Any recommendations for a mesh filter/nozzle filter for the S12 that will keep out debris (I have psoriasis in my outer ears that sometimes results in “debris” clogging up the filter/nozzle)? Or a tip that has cleanable/removable “debris” filter. Not trying to adjust the sound; I'll do that via EQ.

Have S12 on order.

TIA!

Check out this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/why...ut-earwax-in-iems.964079/page-2#post-17052925

There are nozzle wax guards u can buy for a few cents on Aliexpress.

Jul 18, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #1,150 of 1,219

Have S12 on order.

TIA!
yes, check the link @baskingshark posted, thats cheap and will do what you want without any damping in them.

Jul 19, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #1,151 of 1,219
Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #1,152 of 1,219
Jul 19, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #1,153 of 1,219
It's such a long time I haven't use these type of CODEC for other things than just phoning, I am wondering why no testing LDAC or even APTX Adaptative as I imagine it is far more critical to be limited in listening time for music than using as a simple phone ?
Limited by what gear we had access to, would be too big of a scope for our thesis and too much time would be needed.

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #1,154 of 1,219
2022-09-15: Sony MDR-M1ST impressions:
IMG_20220915_173341.jpg

The Sony MDR-CD900ST was released in 1989 as a studio monitor and has been the default monitor headphone in Japan for over 3 decades now. Then in 2019, the MDR-M1ST was released, meant to be the monitor headphone for modern music where for example an increased usage in sub-bass frequency is growing more and more popular.

Build wise the M1ST is pretty much taking the CD900ST and combining it with the more modern style that Sony has going for their more mainstream/audiophile headphones (MDR-1AM2). Added a cup swivel function, and more padding in the headband, a detachable cable and pads are bigger. The driver is now angled instead of flat, although this does also make it more likely that your ears will touch the drivers (which mine does a bit). However, be aware that the pads retain heat like a furnace.

Audio:

MDR-M1STMDR-CD900ST
Sub-bass+-
Mid-bass==
Lower-mids==
Upper-mids-+
Treble-+
Upper-treble+-
Soundstage+-
Imaging==
Separation==
Macro-detail+-
Micro-detail==
Timbre-+
The M1ST does have some more detail but is also brighter in the treble compared to the dark-ish treble on the CD900ST. This is also making the M1ST riskier while the CD900ST is the safer option. Personally, I do enjoy the CD900ST more than the M1ST because of the treble which is much more revealing and will show any hints of a bad recording on the M1ST which is a double-edged sword when it comes to pure enjoyment, and also because of the vocals that I find to be more natural on the CD900ST while also having better mid-bass texture.

Monitor: When it comes to their intended purpose, which is being a studio monitor. I do find the M1ST to be the better-suited headphone overall for that purpose, specifically when it comes to more modern music. Due to the increased sub-bass and brighter treble, it will fit modern music better and be much more revealing than the CD900ST, which due to the dark-ish treble is more suited towards older music, with worse recording/mastering. Although if you are a vocalist and want something for that specifically, the CD900ST is the better one for that due to having less bass and treble.

Sep 15, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #1,155 of 1,219
Sharing my full thesis of "COMPARISON OF BLUETOOTH CODECS WITH
FOCUS ON BATTERY DRAINAGE, CPU USAGE
AND RANGE", 6 months of work.

https://his.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1672233/FULLTEXT01.pdf
Super old bump here but this paper is pretty awesome thanks. Learned a lot.

On a different subject, @RikudouGoku can you talk a little about how you reached your target curve (especially with it being so far from Harmon specifically in the bass)? Mine seems to be very similar, your recs have helped me quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back