Right Turns on Red in California
Aug 22, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 19
Holy crap... that is confusing.
So, my interpretation of this is... "do not turn right if the light is red... period". Is that a correct assessment?

There are a lot of "No right turn on red" intersections in my area. As annoying as they can be, if it increases traffic safety I'm all for it.

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, my interpretation of this is... "do not turn right if the light is red... period". Is that a correct assessment?

There are a lot of "No right turn on red" intersections in my area. As annoying as they can be, if it increases traffic safety I'm all for it.

Well, according to the law, free right turn on red does exist at certain right turn lanes with certain features. At those places, you don't have to stop, you just have to yield when you have a red light. Some have yield signs to indicate that they are free right turn, while some don't.

But since cops often don't know the law and are prone to making things up, stopping at all red lights is prudent.

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The article was about right turn on read without stopping, just yeilding. Right turn on red after stopping is legal in every state and DC unless the intersection is marked otherwise. I remember when the federal government put pressure on DC to legalize it because it was the last jurisdiction where it was illegal.

Some states even have left turn on red, one way to one way.
blink.gif

Here in the DC area, I see a lot of right turn on red without even slowing down. Some people take the turn on red faster than I would do it on green.

Aug 22, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 19
I think the article is talking about a specific type of intersection that has a separate lane that peels off to the right for the turn. usually these are separated by a small concrete island from the normal lanes of travel. an example in LA is on northbound Sepulveda at Howard Hughes Parkway. There is a separate late to turn right with a yield sign. you don't have to stop unless there is traffic, in which case you must yield the right of way. what some of the cops in the article are saying is that if there is no yield sign on the lane that peels off to the right then you must make a complete stop. which makes no sense whatsoever if you know the interstection i'm talking about.

Aug 22, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicJunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the article is talking about a specific type of intersection that has a separate lane that peels off to the right for the turn. usually these are separated by a small concrete island from the normal lanes of travel. an example in LA is on northbound Sepulveda at Howard Hughes Parkway. There is a separate late to turn right with a yield sign. you don't have to stop unless there is traffic, in which case you must yield the right of way. what some of the cops in the article are saying is that if there is no yield sign on the lane that peels off to the right then you must make a complete stop. which makes no sense whatsoever if you know the interstection i'm talking about.

Yes, but in any case a right turn on red is entirely optional. It is never required to turn on a red light without stopping.

And yeah, the free right turn thing is ambiguously annoying California thing that took some getting used to when I first moved here. (yup, I know that exact intersection you're talking about.)

-Ed

Aug 23, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #11 of 19
Only left turns on the left coast. :wink:

Aug 23, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here in the DC area, I see a lot of right turn on red without even slowing down. Some people take the turn on red faster than I would do it on green.

QFT.

In the DC / Maryland area, red lights are merely a suggestion to stop. Thats for any direction. At least according to the driving habits of others.

Aug 24, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 19
No, you can turn right on red - after stopping - in California, unless marked that you can't make a right turn on red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back