Right side louder/cleaner than left side of new XBA-A3's?
Sep 21, 2016 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TheFragileOne

Head-Fier
Not sure if this is the right sub for this, but I recently purchased a pair of Sony XBA-A3's while in Japan and I love them. But I feel like the right channel is slightly louder/fuller than the left side? It sounds like the music is coming ever so slightly more from the right side. If I use Balance on my rMBP and set it the smallest it can to the left, the sound sounds more balanced in my ears it seems. I could be imagining it, but it sounds more in the middle when I move it to the left, so I'm not sure. But even moving it as little to the left as possible, makes it sounds slightly to the left, but not by much. So I'm really not sure. Like, snare kicks sound louder and everything from the right side. It's very hard to explain.

What would you guys suggest doing? Could I send them to Sony to have them checked out? This is a Japan only model and I reside in the USA. Thanks!

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #2 of 5
 let's go for simple diagnoses:
1/ I'm a total noob when it comes to mac stuff, could it be that the headphone plug has plenty of stuff in it like the rings to deal with remotes and stuff like that? did you try using another source with those IEMs?

2/ put the left earpiece into the right ear and vice versa to see if it's more of a matter of fit or if one side really is louder. if clearly the other side is now louder, then the problem lies most likely with the IEM. I don't know that sony japan enjoys taking care of people outside of it, maybe you can have somebody from japan helping out, but really IDK how those warranties work.

3/ if you still have the same side weaker when the earpieces are switched, that could suggest that one of your ears is a little clogged with wax. or that you have some fit/seal issue in one ear. maybe try different tips just for that one ear to check if you can improve the seal(rub gently a finger on the outer ear, with good seal you get that "water in the ear" effect that makes the rubbing very significant. improper seal would likely sound way quieter. so check left vs right to get a raw idea before making sure with music and the centered imaging.  it could also be that you're blocking part of the IEM with your ear canal, left and right ear aren't the exact same shape and that's always one possibility, try changing the angle of the IEM or playing with depth insertion just a little to check if something changes aside from probably losing the seal.
or it could be alien ants that will take control over your body http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4877736/ no big deal.

I guess that covers the most probable causes. I hope you solve your problem.

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 5

Actually no it's definitely louder in the right side. With my 5s and Note7 it's louder in right, unless I switch my left earbud to the large size, but then that side is louder, and a different sound signature honestly. But messing where the sound balance is fixes it. But I really don't know how I'd get my headphones fixed haha. Maybe I could send them to a friend in Japan and have them do it?

I just realized even my IM70's do it. So I think it's something with the different sizes of my ears? Or my ears are just messed up, could be possible with my luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back