Right headphones?
Jul 30, 2007 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Blakage

New Head-Fier
I am very new at this obviously. I cannot even say I own a real pair of headphones. I am looking for the most bang for the buck. I have heard the Bose Around-Ear Headphones (Triport) and was impressed by them. I am willing to buy them but I have read reviews that said you could get the same quality for cheaper. I listen to rock/indie/a little hip hop. I like good bass but it has to have some quality to the sound. I would also like the headphones to have some loudness but still clarity. When i am listening to my iPod, at times I would prefer it to be louder. I would be using the headphones for at my apartment and around a small college campus. I have read articles about noise canceling and i am not sure how i feel about it. I like the design of the Bose being that it is around and over the ear. I would like the headphones to be comfortable enough to leave them on for at least a couple hours. I am looking to spend the same or less then I would on the Bose. They retail for $139.95 USD. Please help me find the right headphone. I would greatly appreciate it.

Jul 30, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 19
Welcome to Head-fi! Apologies, wallet, etc., etc.
wink.gif

The Audio-Technica ES7 sounds like it'd be a good fit. Available in black or white. Check them out here:

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...eadphones.html

Jul 30, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 19
Maybe an AKG K81DJ? They are my current portable cans with my iPod and they are good, but not bloated bass leaning cans with a fairly good midrange and nice highs. About $70.

Jul 30, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-fi! Apologies, wallet, etc., etc.
wink.gif

The Audio-Technica ES7 sounds like it'd be a good fit. Available in black or white. Check them out here:

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...eadphones.html

I agree with Sine. These headphones rock. I just got them a month ago and couldn't be happier. I use these with my Ipod when I'm on the go. Sorry about your wallet as well
rs1smile.gif

Jul 30, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #5 of 19
I have one review on the ES7, which might help. Another option is the A500, but not if you plan to move around much while you're wearing them - the A500 aren't for portable use at all. They should be loud enough.

Be careful with your ears, I have tinnitus, bought on by listening to music too loud for too long. It really effects your life.

Jul 30, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 19
Try the Equation Audio RP-21 if you want. They have pretty good sound from what I hear. I'm probably going to buy a pair soon...

Alternatively, the Alessandro MS1's are REALLY good and only $99. Some people think they are uncomfortable though. I have no problem with the comfort.

Jul 30, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 19
are the headphones you guys are suggesting better than the Bose? and if so, what is better about them? the reason i ask is because they are around the same price. btw my wallet is fine, i just dont want to spend a lot on headphones
icon10.gif

Jul 30, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 19
Well, I can say for the AT and Grado cans that the build quality is much better than that of the Bose. Both the AT and Grado cans feels solidly built. Also the sound quality in terms to detail and soundstage from the above mentioned cans are far more superior than that of Bose. The Bose Triports tend to have a muddy sounding bass that seems to bleed over everything else.

Jul 30, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 19
A couple of the standard 'gateway' drug headphones would be Koss KSC75 and Grado SR60.

The Koss are clip on ear, but cheap enough to be almost disposable.

Jul 30, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 19
See this thread for 280 v. ES7 impressions:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241060

I think episiarch summed it up best in post 4:

Quote:

They are just vastly different headphones. The HD280 is a fairly neutral monitoring headphone with good but generally not grin-inducing sound, cirumaural earcups, lots of isolation, and a fairly high degree of clamping force. The ES7 is a lightweight portable with very clean, clear sound but a good amount of low bass when called upon, not much isolation, high comfort (except at the top of the head if you're somewhat hair-impaired as I am) and shiny, bling-y supraaural earpads.

In short, aside from being closed dynamic headphones under $150 they haven't much in common.

Amped or unamped (though I am not crazy about either one unamped) I would choose the ES7 over the HD280 for musical enjoyment and for comfort. Honestly I wear the HD280 only when I want a lot of isolation but don't want to wear IEMs for some reason.

Jul 30, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #12 of 19
Equation audio RP21's, or AT ES7's.

i would suggest the Denon Ah-D1000, although they offer mind blowing comfort, style and clarity, they are a tad on the lean side.

if fine, pin sharp detail's your thing get the Denon's, other than that the RP21's are a fine all rounder. Not a jack of all trades, but a master at all trades.

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #14 of 19
I've heard the Bose Triport's, and they OK. A lot of bass. They sound fairly musical, but don't have a lot of detail. I wouldn't consider them 'audiophile' headphones, but they are not terrible (as some people might lead you to believe).

I'd have to recommend the Sennheiser HD555's. They are a great headphone for the price. Very well rounded. They are a great entry level audiophile headphone. You get the details and open soundstage that an audiophile grade headphone should deliver.

The 555's are an open headphone. Open headphones have a better sound than closed, but you can hear outside noises and other people can hear your music. But open is the way to go if you listen in private.

*Don't go for the cheaper HD515. I've tried them, they aren't a great headphone and don't compare to the 555's.

If you can't go for an open headphone, in closed headphones the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's are a good choice. They are detailed but have a very 'flat' or 'technical' sound. These have bass, but not tons. They are pretty well suited for rock music. They definitely have less bass than the Triports, but make up for it in the mid's and high's.

For closed headphones some of the Audio Technica's are recommended, as some people have already. You might want to do a search on them.

Jul 31, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #15 of 19
Sine, that really isnt that good of a price. I found brand new ones shipped for $115. + i'd rather have white.

If anyone can find a cheaper price let me know.

I appreciate everyone's help and opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back