Right guys.....you have $2200.....
Nov 21, 2006 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

tonym

100+ Head-Fier
You need an amp, headphone amp and cd player.
What do you go for?
I'm open to suggestions and have in mind a Mapletree or Meier (for GS1000) for the headamp but what will suffice for the two other components?
My wife will also have to look at it
icon10.gif
so bear that in mind.
Cheers.

Nov 21, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't forget about interconnects

Got those already!
It's just those bits above I'm going to splurge on.

Nov 21, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 23
Why is the "amp" and "headphone amp" separate? If you play your cards right, you can get an amp that has a pre-amp too on top of the headphone amp. Like the HeadAmp GS-1 or Cayin HA-1A.
biggrin.gif

I say you get an amp that integrates a pre-amp AND the CDP for maximum value & savings.

Nov 21, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonym /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need an amp, headphone amp and cd player.

I've used Denon single CD players with enjoyment in the past (that was over 5 years ago).

I currently own a Sony DVP-CX777ES ($800 US MSRP) and enjoy that for DVD and CD playback.

The video quality is nice. The audio quality is decent. You can turn off the video output and the front display to minimize the audio interference during CD playback.

I have it hooked up to a Furman power conditioner and the bass/tonal equality and video quality have improved after that was added.

Here are the specs from the Sony DVP-CX777ES manual. It also comes in black now (I have the silver version).

I've also heard very good things about the Pioneer Elite line.

Good luck.

Nov 21, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 23
Nov 21, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #9 of 23
The Mapletree would pair nicely with RS-1s and a NAD c542. Add a set of used Chord interconnects or try out Grover's new design and you're good to go.

Nov 21, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #10 of 23
the amp and headphone amp could be nicely covered by the portal panache. the cdp, well there's a # of choices but you might want to look at some of the music hall offerings.

Nov 21, 2006 at 9:29 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go for a Prima Luna Integrated Amp, Proly an X-Can V3 or SinglePower PPX3 and a Cambridge Audio Azru 640c

You buyn'?

cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CD Player NAD C542 $500
AMP Woo Audio 3 $470
Headphones Grado RS1 $695

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is the "amp" and "headphone amp" separate? If you play your cards right, you can get an amp that has a pre-amp too on top of the headphone amp. Like the HeadAmp GS-1 or Cayin HA-1A.
biggrin.gif

I say you get an amp that integrates a pre-amp AND the CDP for maximum value & savings.

Right that last point...say a Stealth or like you say a GS1. Would they drive my decent bookshelf speaker and a headphone (which I have already GS1000) both very well?
I've already checked out those NAD cdp and the Azur (a store nearby has both in the used section for just over half price) so they'll be worth a listen.
We already have the Azur AV receiver and I'm very happy with that.
Do Mapltree do an amp that will drive both cans and b/shelf spkrs?

Nov 21, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 23
Hmmm... I'm not sure. Lots of choices.

Just wondered, tonym, if you're from the UK by any chance? "Right guys..." sounds so UK-ish.

Nov 21, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm... I'm not sure. Lots of choices.

Just wondered, tonym, if you're from the UK by any chance? "Right guys..." sounds so UK-ish.

Yes, but I did the currency conversion for you
tongue.gif
. I'd buy from anywhere (I think the products in the US are by far superior in terms of choice and design than over here) so I needed all your input.
The n.y is North Yorkshire!
The NAD cdp is still instock at the nearby store so I'm arranging a listen in two weeks.

Nov 21, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #15 of 23
If you want to drive speakers I'd go for a used Cary SLI-80 (Should go for $1400 to $1800) and a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C V2 ($500 +- Cheaper cause you're in the UK)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back