Right AKG 701 can just stopped working!
Mar 31, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #16 of 26
Sounds like it's easily fixable by recabling, if you don't want to get AKG to fix it, ask a DIYer to recable them on the cheap. Ask for Mogami 2534 ($0.92/ft) with a Neutrik NP3X-B 1/4" plug ($4.53) and you'll get a fantastic cable for cheap.

Depending on who does it, total could be about $40, not bad I think. Not everybody will take a recable job for that price because if they screw up, they lose lots more, but $30 profit for 30 minutes work is fairly average for this kind of work, at least for myself. Before you ask, no I won't do it myself, I'm way too busy at the moment with other things, but you can easily ask on the DIY forums.

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Revsta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
40 bucks for a recabling? That's not bad, but isn't it weird that the right can sounds louder now? I mean, they both work now, but my right one is overpowering now.

Have you tried soldering it again? Or maybe you reversed the cables on the left?

Mar 31, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #19 of 26
I had a problem with the left channal going dead.Brought it to my dealer and he sent them to CA to be repaired under warranty.They came back in a weeks time fixed.Just my experience.

Mar 31, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Revsta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
40 bucks for a recabling? That's not bad, but isn't it weird that the right can sounds louder now? I mean, they both work now, but my right one is overpowering now.

You probably have a poor, high-resistance solder joint somewhere. I encountered this exact same thing when I was fixing somebody's failed attempt to repair the wiring on their headphones, and one side was much softer due to a bad solder joint.

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You probably have a poor, high-resistance solder joint somewhere. I encountered this exact same thing when I was fixing somebody's failed attempt to repair the wiring on their headphones, and one side was much softer due to a bad solder joint.

I think I fixed it. Everything sounds good now. I reversed the black and orange wires, redid a few of my solders. Sounds fine now.

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #22 of 26
Good job!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #24 of 26
****, I just got the same problem, How and what exactly did you take apart??
I'm not an Idiot when it comes to this, Just never had to do this with headphones before.
Sorry for necro post, I was just googling how to fix and this came up

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Venality /img/forum/go_quote.gif
****, I just got the same problem, How and what exactly did you take apart??

Read through this and this.

Just got a pair of 701s with one side mostly out... When moving the cable at entry to the cans could get that side back OR both sides out.

Turns out it was the "pinch point" where the cable goes through the strain relief into the left-side. The cable itself, within the stress relief, was making & breaking connection OR shorting.

Removed the left side grill (per guide/pdf), 2 screws in white plastic piece below it - which was quite tricky to remove w/o risking its tabs breaking. Have to take your time there. Bottom tab can be reached from inside can using small screwdriver, relieving the pressure on it, but the 2 side ones were trickier for me. Anyway, got inside, wrote down colors then unsoldered wires. Removed cable & used heat-gun (carefully) to soften stress relief so I could pull through more/virgin wire. Then re-soldered, attached small zip-tie to cable/wire @ entry, reassembled & its very good to go.

Can't tell it was done, except the cans work (& sound) great now
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe I'd replace stock cable someday now that I know how...

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back