Ridiculously awesomely mastered albums?
Jan 27, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #76 of 132
Quote:
Roger Waters - Amused to Death

The Master Sound pressing of this (which I downloaded) is better than the regular CD (which I bought when it first came out).  As far as Floyd goes, once again pbthal's vinyl rips are my preferred source for listening.  The japanese vinyl pressing he ripped outshines the MFSL CD, giving more meat to the orchestral sections.  I don't listen to anything pre-Dark Side, so I don't know how Meddle holds up to the MFSL.

One of my favorite MFSL mastering jobs wasn't even released on their label.  The MFSL remasters of the Dead Can Dance catalog are superb, particularly Into The Labyrinth (I don't have much basis of comparison for the others, but this one is a startling improvement on the original CD pressing).

Yes! Finally, someone else who appreciates the Dead Can Dance remasters. I absolutely adore them.

Jan 28, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #78 of 132
Yes! Finally, someone else who appreciates the Dead Can Dance remasters. I absolutely adore them.

Is there someone who doesn't appreciate them, or is it just that not many people have heard them?  I think it's great stuff!  I don't listen often, since I tend more toward metal, but DCD is very good, especially with the MFSL remasters (or, supposedly, the original vinyl, but I've never heard any of that).

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #79 of 132

Is there someone who doesn't appreciate them, or is it just that not many people have heard them?  I think it's great stuff!  I don't listen often, since I tend more toward metal, but DCD is very good, especially with the MFSL remasters (or, supposedly, the original vinyl, but I've never heard any of that).

Not many people know they exist, even those that love the DCD albums don't realize that they were ever remastered by MFSL due to the lack of branding.

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #80 of 132

Quote:

Is there someone who doesn't appreciate them, or is it just that not many people have heard them? 

Count me as one who did not know and has not heard.  I'll make an effort to rectify that.  Google tells me the MFSL ones were done in 2008?

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #81 of 132
Quote:

Is there someone who doesn't appreciate them, or is it just that not many people have heard them? 

Count me as one who did not know and has not heard.  I'll make an effort to rectify that.  Google tells me the MFSL ones were done in 2008?

Sounds about right. They were just released on the 4AD label that the originals were on, so you have to look carefully to distinguish them.

Something I really wish I had is the SACD MoFi Mini LP Box set, but at the prices those are going for at the moment, it's most likely just a pipe dream.

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #82 of 132
+1 on the Into The Labyrinth remaster, but another non-mainstream contender that's a step above IMO is Bright Red/Tightrope by Lauri Anderson. It's got a clarity and soundstage that makes me wonder if it was deliberately mastered for headphones. Musically, it's weird and spooky, even by Lauri standards.

Other great CD sounds:

The Premonition Years, a 3 CD re-mastered retrospective by Patricia Barber. But any of the original albums are great sounding as well.

The Girl in The Other Room by Diana Krall. Sorry, another jazz crossover artist. Most of her others sound good too.

Temptation by Holly Cole (yes, yes, another one). Musically, I'd add this to the "Flawless" thread because it's, erm, flawless.

Is a Woman by Lambchop. I've got the original, but it's recently been remastered. Any views on the remaster?

I'll second Mezzanine as a good album for testing equipment. In terms of transparency, I don't think it quite matches the SQ of those above, but the deep base and slightly hard treble are good for differentiating new equipment.   

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #83 of 132

I have the original "Into the labyrinth" and I tried a rip of the remaster,
IMO the original is ok, the MFSL sounds a bit better but probably because its louder..
Quote:

Quote:

Not many people know they exist, even those that love the DCD albums don't realize that they were ever remastered by MFSL due to the lack of branding.

Feb 2, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #84 of 132
IMO the original is ok, the MFSL sounds a bit better but probably because its louder..
Quote:

Quote:

The original is good. I normalized them to the same level at one point to make sure it wasn't the loudness fooling my ears, but the remaster is notably better.

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #85 of 132
Most of the DCC LP's Compact Classics 180 + Pure Virgin Vinyl Analogue Pressings, sound great, In many ways, better then the originals, IMO, It's just to bad they went under...Have you guys checked out the price they're getting for sealed copies.......I think they were around 49 bucks new and most are bringing 200+(I turned down $250 bucks for my "Hotel California", I have six sealed DCC LP's......Anyway Lately I've been impressed with The "Limited Edition" 45-RPM Box Sets by Classic Records.... Recorded on One side only, on clear  Vinyl..So one LP has four Lp's in these unreal LP's...I've found John Lee Hooker "The Healer"  Unreal, with a great Line up of guest artist....Also, Most of the BLUE NOTE 45RPM (By AcousTech Mastering) by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman (DCC Fame, Master)...The Grant Green "Solid" is great......I don't really like the fast 45rpm LP changes you must go through, but if it's Top Quality It's worth it........OK, 1 More Any of the Karrin Allyson LPs that are 1/2 sp. mastered by Stan Ricker for Pure Audiophile Records and limited editions.........HQ 180 Gram Colored Virgin Vinyl................ all are Killer...JMO  PS, I've always been High on the original MO-FI lp's and have collected most of the titles over the yrs,  but you should watch many of the new releases on MO-FI.........Just not the Quality of the Old Ones.........Read reviews before buying......

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #86 of 132
Quote: I just reread all the replies and found this........Roger Waters, I just had to comment!
Quote:
Roger Waters - Amused to Death

The Master Sound pressing of this (which I downloaded) is better than the regular CD (which I bought when it first came out).  As far as Floyd goes, once again pbthal's vinyl rips are my preferred source for listening.  The Japanese vinyl pressing he ripped outshines the MFSL CD, giving more meat to the orchestral sections.  I don't listen to anything pre-Dark Side, so I don't know how Meddle holds up to the MFSL.

XaNE, That Is a Great Disc, My only problem and maybe some of you guys know this, "Amused To Death" is Damn near Imposable to find on VINYL, My friend has a Holland vinyl copy, the only one I've seen,   I've hunted and Googled this LP for years and just last month one came up for sale in Holland for $495.00...1 for sale it seems like in the whole world......Now don't get me wrong I don't equate BUCKS to SQ on anything anymore but many times with the newly remastered LPs, see my post above for examples, IMO...you do get what you pay for....And like the DCC Lps they're making you money (If you will) sitting in your collection...........I guess I really need to read up on and learn about this pbthal's vinyl rips, In other words get on the bus, duke....thanks for the info......

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #87 of 132
Yeah, always use ReplayGain when you do an ABX test so that apparent volume levels are the same.  When you do so, you realize that the remasters have much greater depth, clarity, and impact.  The original CD sounds extremely flat and veiled in comparison.  I remember it being a pretty clear improvement.

Quote:
Quote:

The original is good. I normalized them to the same level at one point to make sure it wasn't the loudness fooling my ears, but the remaster is notably better.

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #88 of 132
Just an FYI you guys aren't actually talking about well mastered albums. mastering is one step in the process of recording an album. You are mostly just talking about albums that just plain sound good. Mastering doesn't have anything to do with the recording, the mix, the effects or EQ on individual instruments, etc. Mastering is about the final touches on a project after the final mix is complete. Those final touches are usually just EQ and dynamics changes applied to the entire recording. You are probably confused because we often hear about "remastered" albums that are actually taking source recordings (maybe 4, 8, 24, 32, 64 tracks, etc..) and basically starting from scratch with the work done after the basic parts are recorded. Honestly, on a truly well mastered album the mastering wouldn't even be noticed. It would just present all of the work done before it in the best way possible. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_mastering

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #89 of 132
All of Audioslave's albums sound like crap.  They are compressed and clipped majorly.  Good music, but ever since I've been on the hunt and finding CDs that are original masters (I listen to classic rock) that actually sound good, I can't listen to it anymore just because of the horrible sound quality.

Quote:
Audioslave's first album sounds very well produced for a 'rock album'. Then again Rick Rubin was involved...

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #90 of 132
By this logic Jimi Hendrix sucks, because ANY song I've ever heard by him sounded exactly like some record played on a portable suitcase phonograph, even remastered albums.  By this logic it also means he had no talent.  Your logic is very flawed.  I guess this is why so many people listen to off-the-wall jazz type non-mainstream stuff anymore.  The kind of stuff that is keeping the DVD-A and SACD formats alive but not mainstream.  It is horrible music, but the content sounds good.  I'm neither way.  If I like music but it sounds like crap I won't listen to it.  If I like the sound but the music is crap I won't listen to it.  I will only give my time to real talent in music AND sound.  Music is emotion manifested through sound.  Sound is not music.

Quote:
If a guitarist with zero talent plays something mediocre that gets worked over by a team of engineers to the point that it is a powerful and moving piece of music, it is good. If a very talented guitarist records something that is impressive but doesn't sound interesting/whatnot, it is not good. The only variable that matters is the output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back