Ridiculously awesomely mastered albums?
Mar 3, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #121 of 132
wow this thread is kinda giving me a headache. but here are some of my best sounding albums in my opinion. not just music that i like but consider to be very high sound quality as well.

future sound of london: dead cities (maybe not their very best production quality but still very good and an excellent album)

future sound of london: papua new guinea translations

future sound of london: from the archives volumes 1 thru 6 (all of them), and environments 1 thru 3 (all of them)

future sound of london: lifeforms path 1-6 EP, and cascade EP

massive attack: 100th window

beastie boys: hello nasty

im not even sure that these are valid answers because none of them pertain to capturing actual instruments in a studio so to speak. but they sound very good nonetheless

oh yea also alice n chains unplugged

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #122 of 132

Omnia
World of Omnia (limited Edition)
(Celtic/Folk)

Ridiculously awesomely mastered album...

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #125 of 132
One album that blows me away every time I listen to it is Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road MFSL CD.  Awesome is an understatement.  Some others that are in print are Beck Sea Change MFSL CD and the recently released James Taylor Sweet Baby James Audio Fidelity gold CD.

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #127 of 132
Thanks guys for your comments, but there is nothing ‘ridiculous’ getting great recordings from bands like The Rolling stones or Elton John.

It becomes quite ridiculous when some not very known folks like Disturbed, Omnia, Aloe Blacc (etc) bring recordings that make you think Muse or Nightwish are so poor guys, that a decent studio is way too expensive for them
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #128 of 132
I thought we were talking about masterings and not recordings.  I've heard other Elton John Cds that sound no where close to the MFSL masterings but yet come from the same recording. 

It's not the studio that make Muse recordings sound awful, it's the mastering.

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #129 of 132
Ok, my mistake, I suppose you've got the essence of my previous post... Anyway, thanks for posting. 

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #130 of 132

Quote:
I thought we were talking about masterings and not recordings.  I've heard other Elton John Cds that sound no where close to the MFSL masterings but yet come from the same recording. 

It's not the studio that make Muse recordings sound awful, it's the mastering.

The reason that MFSL recording sounds good is because it wasn't mastered. Ironic huh? It's just a flat transfer of the master tape.

Muse sounds bad because of the mastering...that's true.

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #131 of 132

Quote:
The reason that MFSL recording sounds good is because it wasn't mastered. Ironic huh? It's just a flat transfer of the master tape.

Muse sounds bad because of the mastering...that's true.

I know it was a flat transfer, but every time I listen to it I am in awe. Someone knew what they were doing when they were "mastering" that CD and left it untouched.  It is one of the best sounding CDs I have heard out of the thousand or so I have.

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #132 of 132

Quote:
I know it was a flat transfer, but every time I listen to it I am in awe. Someone knew what they were doing when they were "mastering" that CD and left it untouched.  It is one of the best sounding CDs I have heard out of the thousand or so I have.

Exactly! A mastering engineer changes things to help the sound. A great mastering engineer knows when NOT to change anything.

I have always told budding engineers at studios that not doing something to the master tape is just as valid a decision as doing something to the master tape. Learning to decide what to do is half the battle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back