Riceburners (Toyota, Honda, Mazda)
Aug 21, 2002 at 1:39 AM Post #61 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by hongda
Another good american "racer" are the SVT's. Lightning, Cobra and Contour.

Not to mention the F150
biggrin.gif

Oops, I guess the F150 is the Lightning
redface.gif

Aug 21, 2002 at 4:43 AM Post #63 of 73
Ah, the Realtime Type R -- it's actually better than stock. The headlight assembly was removed completely and a cold air intake was added in the outer sockets. They changed the wheels which is somewhat debatable but you can't argue with their track times. I believe they also added a rollcage.

The thing to note about the Realtime car is that the spoiler is at the same height and angle as the stock Type R spoiler--ie, this wasn't just a random "for looks" decision.

For American cars, I like the "new" Vette. It's a pity that so many people associate it with 70s playboys and dickheads that no one bothers to find out how well engineered the C5 really is.

Sep 12, 2002 at 3:13 PM Post #65 of 73
For reliability, dependability and value nothing on the road beats a ten year old toyota corolla with an automatic transmission, 100,000 miles or less and a three to four thousand dollar price tag.

If it is in good condition such a car will go to 200,000 miles with nothing more than regular maintanance.

Sep 12, 2002 at 3:40 PM Post #67 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by troubleshootah
For reliability, dependability and value nothing on the road beats a ten year old toyota corolla with an automatic transmission, 100,000 miles or less and a three to four thousand dollar price tag.

If it is in good condition such a car will go to 200,000 miles with nothing more than regular maintanance.

I'll see your Corolla and raise you my '88 Supra (see above) with 167k (as of this morning) that I bought for $3100. 5spd, 18mpg city & 24hwy, uses no oil, purrrrrsss like a kitten. I'm becoming a BIG fan of Toyota. But they are popular in AR anyway. 3 of my 4 bosses (doctors) drive Toyota SUVs.

Sep 12, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #68 of 73
I like the rice, especially in stealth mode.

My dream ride would be a mid 90s Civic Hatch with a Prelude (VTEC) engine swap. Strip the pee out of it (get it to ~2200 lbs)and you would surprise alot of people.

Sep 12, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #69 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio Redneck
I'll see your Corolla and raise you my '88 Supra

I'll see yours and now you can see mine:

car.jpg

engine2.jpg

My 85' Supra. Its got headers, lightweight flywheel, extensive weight reduction in general.. it slices and dices through traffic like a Ginsu knife. My girlfriend bought a WRX at my suggestion and she loves it, but shes not a real driver. Great power when your on the turbo, but just on the motor its a total TOTAL dog! I cant stand that kind of off/on power delivery. Definetly not for me.

Sep 13, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #72 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael
I'll see yours and now you can see mine:

<snip pics>

My 85' Supra. Its got headers, lightweight flywheel, extensive weight reduction in general.. it slices and dices through traffic like a Ginsu knife.

Nice! Mine is still full weight. I wouldn't mind having the Turbo, but this one is fast enough for me (man, I'm getting old). Except for the first Supra (Mk I), they all look good. How many miles you got on the clock?

Sep 13, 2002 at 5:40 PM Post #73 of 73
Thanks-
I put the wing off an 83' on my car and took off the stock setup. The interior behind the front seats is gutted. I have Summit lightweight seats for it but they arent in the car at the moment. Theres 120k on the clock. The problem with the 5M motor in my car is that there are very few aftermarket things happening for it. In Japan they have a variant called the 6M and it puts out 30 more HP because of a different crank, but those engines dont grow on trees here in the US. Its very possible to put a 7M (Mk. III) turbo on the Mk. II, but as I said I'm not a huge fan of turbo anyway so I didnt bother.
Power to weight ratio is key for an NA car. Getting into the mid teens of pound-per-horsepower gives you a quick car. Anything around 10-per-HP is fast. My car is as fast as it needs to be for in town driving, and its pretty light so you know, I have fun with it. Lots of drivers (including women) give me the finger because I basically refuse to follow doltish traffic; and I dont care if the center line is striped or solid either. Thats the luxury of having an older paid for car.. no worries.

Not wanting to hog the thread with my own pictures, but I have another Toyota, a 4Runner, and I always spend at least a little time under the hood of all my cars. Heres what the 22RE in my 4Runner looks like:

headers.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back