Riceburners (Toyota, Honda, Mazda)
Aug 18, 2002 at 4:23 PM Post #31 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
I remember this when the comentator said the Holden commodore GTS being the most powerful car ever built. Too bad its performance isnt as good.

What, did it have the most powerful engine? Well, they could have put it on a sem-trailer and it would have helped about as much to win the races...
biggrin.gif

And yet another of my automobile dreams is to ride the Commodore again--when I was in Australia last month I whined and whined at dad to rent a Commodore or Falcon.
biggrin.gif
Alas, it was some holiday or other and all the rental shops are about fully booked out and we could only get a Camry
frown.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 18, 2002 at 4:24 PM Post #32 of 73
Riceburner used to refer to motorcycles. I live in NY/NJ and have heard the term for years.

Funny this thread pops up now. I drove in to work (that's why I'm on the boards of course) in a Camry that I swapped for my Park Avenue so the rest of my family could all go together to a picnic. It's pretty clear I didn't get the better end of that deal.

Aug 18, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #33 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I don't mind mods that improve performance.

Yeah, it's just that so few of the mods people do on these cars actually improve performance... some actually decrease it!

Tops on the "what the hell are you thinking" mods list:

1) Exhaust system mods that serve no purpose other than to increase the sound level of your engine revving.

2) Spoilers on front wheel drive cars (
confused.gif
?!?!?!?!? -- do they even understand what a spoiler does?
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

3) Neon lights on the bottom of the car to bathe the road in cheezy pink or blue light.

4) Fog lights in Phoenix.

5) Huge wheels with thin tires on cars with lowered suspension; i.e. the "sorry to back traffic up, but I can't go over this bump at more than 3.5 mph" syndrome.

Aug 18, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #34 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

If you care, here are some differences between fake Type Rs and real ones:

* Type R is Championship White. I know not everyone will notice this but other Integras are only offered in Frost White. Championship White is a muted off white that looks about like the color of one of the helmets in Star Wars. It was taken from the first winning Honda F1 car. Frost White is shiny and reflective.

And that's all I have to say about that.

The ITR came in Black and Yellow for the 2001 Model Year I think. Or was it 2002. Can't remember OTOMH.

Aug 18, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #35 of 73
Quote:

Spoilers on front wheel drive cars ( ?!?!?!?!? -- do they even understand what a spoiler does? ).

Not sure about the spoiler. . . I've heard it makes airflow better around the car, yes, fwd. Now, wings, otoh,
eek.gif
First, they add weight. Second, WHY? They are for rwd cars to increase downforce on the wheels!

Aug 18, 2002 at 10:17 PM Post #36 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs

What, did it have the most powerful engine? Well, they could have put it on a sem-trailer and it would have helped about as much to win the races...
biggrin.gif

And yet another of my automobile dreams is to ride the Commodore again--when I was in Australia last month I whined and whined at dad to rent a Commodore or Falcon.
biggrin.gif
Alas, it was some holiday or other and all the rental shops are about fully booked out and we could only get a Camry
frown.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

You're lucky your dad didnt, the commodore's are a death trap i reckon, handling is mega bad. Heaps of roll when you turn.

Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

Yeah, it's just that so few of the mods people do on these cars actually improve performance... some actually decrease it!

Tops on the "what the hell are you thinking" mods list:

1) Exhaust system mods that serve no purpose other than to increase the sound level of your engine revving.

2) Spoilers on front wheel drive cars ( ?!?!?!?!? -- do they even understand what a spoiler does? ).

Exhaust system mods does increase performance. Take the satria gti for example. It has a flashy twin stock exhaust that does nothing but hurt it. In general exhaust mods adds a few kW of power.

Spoilers(front/rear wing) helps both fwd/rwd cars but only at high speeds reaching 200 kph
rolleyes.gif

*cough* nitrous oxide *cough*
very_evil_smiley.gif

If i say IF i were crusing at this speed, I wouldnt dare to drive a car at this speed without BOTH front and rear wings. Dont wanna go airborne
biggrin.gif

tegs came in all sorts of colors but it started of only in campionship white. I prefer the yellow one more and the older 2001 type R.

Aug 18, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #37 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Not sure about the spoiler. . . I've heard it makes airflow better around the car, yes, fwd. Now, wings, otoh,
eek.gif
First, they add weight. Second, WHY? They are for rwd cars to increase downforce on the wheels!

Actually, rear spoilers increase the downward force on the rear wheels. Wings don't do anything at all! But that was my point about spoilers -- why would you EVER put something on a front wheel drive car that increases the downward force on the REAR wheels?
confused.gif
(BTW, traditionally "wings" were vertical slats on the back of the car, so maybe we're talking about the same things -- a lot of people nowadays seem to be calling spoilers "wings")

Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
Exhaust system mods does increase performance. Take the satria gti for example. It has a flashy twin stock exhaust that does nothing but hurt it. In general exhaust mods adds a few kW of power.

True, some do, but some of the exhaust kits that kids are putting on Civics/Integras/etc. exist only to make more noise
frown.gif

Quote:

Spoilers(front/rear wing) helps both fwd/rwd cars but only at high speeds reaching 200 kph
rolleyes.gif

Right -- and if you only put a rear one on a front wheel drive car, you're actually *decreasing* traction LOL

Aug 18, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #38 of 73
True, you are decreasing traction, because the downforce on the rear lifts the front up, where the engine is. LOL
biggrin.gif

Wings I mean by the real wings.
smily_headphones1.gif
You know, what really looks like a wing. By spoiler I mean the thing that looks like its molded with the trunk. You know, like the letter "C".

Aug 19, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #39 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

Right -- and if you only put a rear one on a front wheel drive car, you're actually *decreasing* traction LOL

I dont wanna start a long argument but, you dont want to have alot of downforce on the front where the engine power is applied on a fwd car and hardly any downforce on the rear wheels. Sure you want more downforce where the hp are applied to the road but not all there.

I dont wanna be in the car when that happens
tongue.gif
esp when in fast corners
biggrin.gif
You are gonna find your rear end is gonna swing out and put you into a nice funky spin.

Aug 19, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #40 of 73
true. It would be interesting to watch though. All were saying is that there's no POINT to putting lots of downforce in back on a fwd car. We don't want to put 500 lbs of weights in the front on the engine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #41 of 73
Sorry, I forgot about the newer Type Rs being offered in black and yellow. The color thing I was talking about was obviously the white one. Yellow is a Type R only color on Integras so if it's yellow it's either a real Type R or a very expensive fake. *shrug*

The Integra Type R's top speed is 140mph. It's governed. Trust me on this one.
wink.gif
The Type R is a front wheel drive car but it is a front wheel drive car that has a LOT of its weight in the front. The Type R isn't designed to be the world's best drag racing car, it's designed to be a good track car. Creating downward force on the rear of the car (as well as the front--there IS an airdam) was intentional and is functional at high speeds. Note the odd positioning of the spoiler on the Type R -- not really all that pretty to look at. It's not there for looks.

On many cars, the spoiler is an option. Therefore, it is a worthless cosmetic afterthought that only serves to add more weight to the vehicle and decrease performance. Worse than manufacturers doing this are people who do this themselves--choosing spoilers based only on looks with no idea if or how they effect performance. Still, the truth is that most of these cars are designed to be looked at rather than raced. At that point, it's all aesthetics and taste anyway. Many people like the way they look. I think they look idiotic.

I saw a 4 door hatchback WRX on the road today. I still think about getting one of those and trying to stealth it down. See, I'm counter on this whole looks thing. I'm into performance. Showing off your stickers and neon to a bunch of guys in a parking lot--that's someone else's bag. Me, the less attention the better. Less chance of theft. Less chance of being pulled over by a cop. Less trouble in general.

Aug 19, 2002 at 4:31 AM Post #42 of 73
Quote:

I still think about getting one of those and trying to stealth it down. See, I'm counter on this whole looks thing. I'm into performance.

amen.
smily_headphones1.gif
My dream some day is to build a sleeper car. Something along the lines, of say, an M3 or M5, mod it(I've seen AMAZING torque out of those), and put 318, 325, 525, etc, badges on it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Same thing for a civic or integra. Very subdued, but when I floor it. . .

Aug 19, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #43 of 73
andrze
If I REALLY had a killer car, I'd completely debadge it.

Aug 19, 2002 at 4:52 AM Post #44 of 73
True. I'd do the same. But just think. You pull up in your bmw, everyone thinks its crappy and stock. But then,
biggrin.gif

But true, debadging is awesome as well.

Aug 19, 2002 at 5:47 AM Post #45 of 73
Ya know, this whole 'stealth' thing is sort of what I once had in mind for the EX70 and EQ in general--mod and EQ them way beyond what they could reasonably be expected to sound, and lie in wait to amaze some unsuspecting Head-Fier
biggrin.gif

Well, a Head-Fier that doesn't own the etys, that is
rolleyes.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back