rice or muscle?
Jun 2, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #31 of 62
i think the poll should be "sleeper import vs. muscle"...
rice = ghetto engine, tall ass wing, 20 pounds worth of stickers, muffler size of a CD, street-glow, $100 body kits off ebay ect ect...

although im not a big fan of car mods, i do like fast cars, both import and muscle.
import for track and muscle for drag
smily_headphones1.gif

being a highschool student, people around me are all about "fast cars" cough*wannabe*cough... i personally dont care if i get a fast car or not, it's not like im going to go street race and act cool. i just want something smooth, comfortable... after i get my licence i get my mom's 2003 TL Type-S, but what i really want is an Audi A4 3.0
tongue.gif
yummm...

Jun 2, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #33 of 62
I voted muscle.
I like those A body Mopars myself warubozu. I had a 68 Dart at one time, but it wasn't any hot rod. 225 and an automatic with no reverse.
tongue.gif

My current project car is a 76 Duster (last year of A body Dusters). I've been tinkering with it for over 10 years. In 1991 I installed a B block 400 from a 73 Idaho State Patrol car in to it. I made it look stock with 68 Dart 383 exhaust manifolds and a factory dual snorkel air cleaner. About 4 years ago I dropped in a 2:45 rear end to make it a freeway flyer. The rear change didn't help much, it still just lights up the tires when ever I attempt a quick start.

I also drive a 440 powered Dodge Powerwagon.
icon10.gif

My two dream cars are a 32 Highboy and 62 Corvette running 90's Corvette running gear and suspension.

Being from the sticks up here, I associate "rice" with any Japanese car. Not taking into account whether they are factory "tuners" or otherwise. I didn't know the term had been narrowed down.

Jun 2, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #34 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose
yes i have (well not sure about 1200hp, that's pretty nuts). that's some serious rice though.

Uh, are you insane.
tongue.gif
These skylines would blow most muscle cars out of the water in every aspect. That is not my definition of rice. I have a video of a 1000hp skyline on the dyno. Soooo sweet! I love the sound turbo engines and especially the twin turbo skyline
biggrin.gif

JV.

EDIT: Back on topic. I would choose muscle before rice, but my definition of rice is a honda.
tongue.gif

Jun 3, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #35 of 62
I hate ricers. By this, I mean people who take a Civic or Focus and add a huge bodykit, wing, fart can, and neon lighting. If someone actually drops $10K in engine and suspension mods, I can appreciate their dedication, and respect that. But poseurs (of any type) piss me off.

Don't forget the huge oversized muffler.

I have a completely different name for these cars. "GO LOUD"
Sure makes a lot of noise, but not very fast.

I was old enough to build and ride in the muscle cars of the early 1970's.
They sucked. No steering, no brakes, and compared to todays stuff
not really that fast.

I can on my jag from the nav touch screen, turn up the boost to about 17
psi and then i get about 470hp. Nice and quiet. 0 to 60 in the middle
4 seconds. Love to get next to the "GO LOUDS" and show them what
quiet and quick can do. And if i really want to drink some gas i can turn
it up to 19 (thats the max).

New 500hp caddy now available. 600hp + available on specially tuned
600sl's. Now these are REAL muscle cars.

Jun 3, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #36 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
Don't forget the huge oversized muffler.

That'd be the 'fart can' I mentioned... slang term. But yes, basically, they're all show, no go. A lot of 'em don't even look that good, to boot. OTOH, take off the hideous body kits, and some of them look half way decent. On a slightly related note, I saw a Mustang (newer; '00s) that had removed the rear wing. You know what? It looked, IMO, twice as good as a stock one. Besides, wings don't really start to even do anything 'till around 120MPH, give or take a few. Who goes that fast on a regular basis to justify the reduced aerodynamics and fugliness?

What Jag is this that you speak of? The XKR is supercharged, but not sure if the boost is adjustable. The power and 0-60 time is about right, though...

(-:Stephonovich:)

Jun 3, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #37 of 62
S type R.

And the boost is in fact adustable if you break the codes loose
from a friendly mechanic. Everything on the car is computerized
and absolutely everything is tweekable too. Air suspension included.

Jun 3, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #38 of 62
Niiice... Brembos, too, I notice.

Although methinks if I had ~$60,000 to drop on a car (luxury car, anyway), it'd be a BMW M5. OK, so that's $70,000... Maybe a 7-series, then. Or just say screw it and get a used 911 Turbo...

(-:Stephonovich:)

Jun 3, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #39 of 62
Of those choices, I'd have to vote rice. I might be tempted by a Corvette someday but I don't have much interest in a Mustang or Camaro or anything like that. My next car will probably be a Subaru WRX or Legacy GT. I thought about (and could probably afford) a WRX STi, but I don't really need that much power, I think it looks a bit too rice-y with the gold rims and huge wing, and I doubt the 6 speed is much fun in heavy traffic. The new Legacy GT looks very nice - it's still a Subaru but it manages to look somewhat classy. It also has the same 2.5L turbo boxer engine as the STi and Forester XT though it's tuned somewhere in between the two and rated at 250hp.

Jun 3, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #40 of 62
Well, I voted "muscle", but only because I find them to be more fun to tinker with.

I've owned domestic muscle ('67, '68, and '69 Camaros with 327-396 V8s) and vintage British sportscars (a couple of Mini Cooper 1275s), but haven't owned any "rice" (my Honda Prelude doesn't qualify because it's bone-stock).

However, I've become more of a truck guy (I own a Ford F-350 diesel 4x4 crewcab). I don't know if it's because I've reached a certain age, or if it's because of my job, or what-have-you. These days, I'm just more interested in utility than I am with speed/handling.

D.

Jun 3, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #41 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil_JV
Uh, are you insane.
tongue.gif
These skylines would blow most muscle cars out of the water in every aspect. That is not my definition of rice. I have a video of a 1000hp skyline on the dyno. Soooo sweet! I love the sound turbo engines and especially the twin turbo skyline
biggrin.gif

JV.

EDIT: Back on topic. I would choose muscle before rice, but my definition of rice is a honda.
tongue.gif

I used to have tons of those clips, the car in idle sounded like it was reving at 6500 rpm or something, i also had a movie of it going aroudn 205 mph.

Jun 3, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #42 of 62
Well,You know what I'm gonna say. Muscle all the way.

Jun 3, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #43 of 62
I'm definitely more into imports and compacts. On memorial day I got the chance to drive the following: Dodge Neon SRT-4, Honda Civic Si, Ford Focus SVT, and the Nissan Sentra SE-R. The Civic was my favorite. No doubt that the Neon goes like stink, but I just fit inside the Civic perfectly... I have really long legs and for once I wasn't slamming my legs against the steering wheel every time I let out the clutch. And you gotta love the dashboard shifter. Definitely a sweet ride IMO, but the engine could use a kick in the pants. Jackson racing makes supercharger kits for $2.5k that boost horsepower to 200 and torque to 180. Not bad, I could probably get the car and the kit for around $20k at the Honda year end clearance.

Most of the car magazines seem to prefer the Focus, but I didn't like it as much as the Civic because it wasn't as complete IMO... it felt more like a Focus with lots of aftermarket parts than a complete car. It surprised me that it had a good bit of slack in the steering wheel compared w/the Civic, too. Also, the manual tranny in the Focus was a pain in the ass compared with the others. The Neon was a big surprise... I expected it to be a really fast POS but it was damn refined and felt like a real everyday car. I just felt at home in the Civic, though
biggrin.gif

si-dl46-wht-1.gif

Jun 3, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #44 of 62
I'll admit, that mini cooper s sure looks like alot of fun to drive. Sounds like it could be a street legal go cart in disguise. I just checked one out for fun. That sucker went for over $31k with all the options I wanted... Yikes!
eek.gif

At that price, I'd probably opt for a 350Z or the RX8.

Jun 3, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #45 of 62
There's nothing like good old' American Muscle. These are few pics of my former 2002 Corvette Z06(sadly sold to another Head-fier earlier this year). In the first pic at my shop you can see my 2001 Trans Am Ram-Air right next to the Vette. The Vette was a monster with a 427 inch motor and ran low 10 second 1/4 mile times.

DSC00332.JPG

This is a picture of the Vette's engine showing the intake and headers pretty well.

DSC00333.JPG

This last pic is of the dyno sheet showing rear-wheel horsepower and torque. This is normally aspirated with no turbos,superchargers or Nitrous. You just can't make this kind of power and torque reliably with Rice burners. I had less than $80,000 into the Z06 including the motor and installation and it was faster and quicker than ANYTHING you can buy. Maybe the current owner will speak up and tell some of the crazy stories he has about driving it on the streets. That was a fun car.

DSC00334.JPG

This is a pic form the Bob Bondurant Driving School in Arizona. I took the "Big Class" that lasted all week a few months ago and this is the Cadillac CTS that I was about to drive. I have since purchased my own 2004 CTS-V and it's a monster. It handles as well as anything I've ever driven and is as fast as my Trans-am.

DSC04483.JPG

I think you just get more for your buck with Muscle cars. My Trans-am cost only $28,000 and has run a best of 12.71 @ 111 mph with the stock motor and very minor mods. I built a new engine for it that embarrassingly grenaded on the second dragstrip pass,requiring me to re-install the stock motor. Other than that the Trans-am has been great and got over 29 mpg on the trip to Brooklyn for the meet last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back