RIAA and Illegal Downloading discussion
Aug 8, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by intlplby
if the RIAA was smart they'd put fake songs on their that play the song for a few seconds then blast a 0db Square Wave

guaranteed to wreck a few speakers

I thought that's what most RIAA-affiliated music was these days anyway? At least the 0db part....

Aug 8, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #19 of 35
Wasn't RIAA prosecuting people who make large amounts of mp3s' available for download?

What happened to those cases anyways?

That being said, I haven't downloaded any mp3s' in years. I am buying all my music on CDs now. Much better sound quality.

Aug 8, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #20 of 35
I've also been buying CDs, then ripping them to FLAC for sound-quality reasons. Sometimes I can't really tell the difference, but it's just nice to know that there's no loss of quality from compression; helps me enjoy the music more
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #21 of 35
electric, I once got one of those messages supposedly from the RIAA from downloading just a couple songs a long time ago. Don't worry, I highly doubt this is from the RIAA, but I could very well be wrong.

Just don't steal music and you'll be fine
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #23 of 35
i would like to still download music.....

although i havent paid for most of my music i pay for as much as i can now since i prefer having cd and vinyl quality

i buy 20 times more music now than i did before being able to download music

usually at 1-4 albums on the first of the week almost everyweek (i am a bartender so i start the week off with cash in my pocket)

to prevent me from being able to listen to music first would mean i purchase less music

then again the RIAA doesnt get much money from me since i don't buy much on american labels

Aug 8, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #24 of 35
Unless there is something I really want, I usually wait and do one or two bulk purchases a year from Columbia house or BMG music service.

Comes down to about $6 per CD.

Aug 8, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #25 of 35
I usually buy my CDs off eBay (used since it's cheaper) but the $6/CD (brand new I assume) sounds tempting...Is there a catch (such as a minimum number of CDs per purchase or per year, "membership" costs, etc.)?

Aug 8, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin
That's nothing, i had a REAL email from MGM Studio !
eek.gif

What?

What did they say?

Aug 8, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Re: Unauthorized Use of "MGM" (property)
Notice ID: xxxxxx
xx xx 2004 xx:xx:xx GMT

"MGM", Inc. and its affiliated companies (collectively, "MGM") are the exclusive owners of copyrights in motion pictures and television, including the property listed below.

It has come to our attention that ADSL is the service provider for the IP address listed below, from which unauthorized copying and distribution (downloading, uploading, file serving, file "swapping" or other similar activities) of "MGM's" (property)(s) listed below is taking place. We believe that the Internet access of the user engaging in this infringement is provided by ADSL or a downstream service provider who purchases this connectivity from ADSL.

This unauthorized copying and distribution constitutes copyright infringement under applicable national laws and international treaties. Although various legal and equitable remedies may be available to "MGM" as a result of such infringement, "MGM" believes that the entire Internet community benefits when these matters are resolved cooperatively. We urge you to take immediate action to stop this infringing activity and inform us of the results of your actions. We appreciate your efforts toward this common goal.

Please be advised that this letter is not and is not intended to be a complete statement of the facts or law as they may pertain to this matter or of "MGM's" positions, rights or remedies, legal or equitable, all of which are specifically reserved.

Very truly yours,

Sarah Bergman
Compliance Manager
BayTSP, Inc.
PO Box 1314
Los Gatos, CA 95031

v: 408-341-2300
f: 408-341-2399

*pgp public key is available on the key server at
ldap://keyserver.pgp.com

Note: The information transmitted in this Notice is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, reproduction, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers.

Title: Dead Like Me - Season 1
Infringement Source: BitTorrent
Initial Infringement Timestamp: xx xx 2004 xx:xx:xx GMT Recent
Infringment Timestamp: xx xx 2004 xx:xx:xx GMT Infringer Username:
Infringing Filename: Dead Like Me - 1x02 - Dead Girl Walking.mpg
Infringing Filesize: 431661932
Infringers IP Address: xx.xx.xx.xxx
Infringers DNS Name: xx-xx-xx-xx.dsl.in-addr.xxxxx.co.uk
Infringing URL: xx.xx.xx.xxx:xxxx/Dead Like Me - 1x02 - Dead Girl Walking.mpg

This is a REAL email because it got my IP address correct and it was sent to my ISP and redirected to me.
eek.gif

Now I use Peerguardian.

Aug 8, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by petery83
I usually buy my CDs off eBay (used since it's cheaper) but the $6/CD (brand new I assume) sounds tempting...Is there a catch (such as a minimum number of CDs per purchase or per year, "membership" costs, etc.)?

BMG and Columbiahouse requires you to purchase 12 CDs for the price of 1. So after shipping and everything, each CD comes down to about $6 per CD.

They don't have all the selections, mostly mainstream stuff.

But it really beats paying $13-$14 per CD in stores.

A lot of the used CDs being sold on ebay are actually CDs people bought from Columbia house and BMG. So don't assume they are taking a loss. Most of the time they are making a profit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back