Rhapsodio RDB+ 2v1 review, impressions and appreciation thread.
Jun 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #31 of 81
Okay, I just wanted to give my initial impressions here before I add to a bigger review pool...

This is the first 'universal custom' type earphone I've tried, and honestly I do not like the form factor. The nozzle size just seems a bit too wide for long term comfort for my ears - my ear canal starts getting sore within 15 minutes of wearing them. The weight distribution of the large body and the weight of the 'audiophile' cables means that that they don't feel entirely secure when moving around. 

In terms of technicalities, the IEM is quite impressive, with a tremendous feeling of speed, resolution and detail. Everything sounds lightning fast, with fantastic extension on both ends - especially on the low end. Everything sounds clean and coherent.

That said, I don't really like the tuning, which is extremely V-shaped and lean. It's clear that the dynamic driver has given the earphone massive sub-bass extension, but it seems poorly integrated with the rest of the signature. The sub-bass really kicks but because there is no accompanying mid-bass warmth that blends it in. It's a fun effect if you like your sub-bass but seems fairly unnatural, as if someone had applied a high quality 'super bass' EQ.

The highs are also very brittle and seemingly metallic in quality, though I don't find them tremendously sibilant - just overemphasised and again poorly integrated into the signature as a whole. 

These have the kind of signature that makes it possible to pick apart the music really well (I like them with densely layered synthesised instruments), but I don't find myself really relaxing and connecting with the music with these - there are too many elements that not too subtly call attention to themselves.

Of course I am speaking from the perspective of expecting to really love something for $650. These are easily on the same level technically as any $200-$400 IEM that I have tried. Because of both the ergonomics and signature of this IEM I would not pay $650 for them, though they make for an interesting listen.

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #32 of 81
Very solid impressions. 

I imagine there has to be a lot of art and finesse in trying to get the dynamic and BA drivers to play well with each other.  I've always wondered about the ergonomics of some of the "universal customs" types that you're describing and you seem to confirm some of my fears.  Ergonomics are a bigger factor for me in my overall happiness with an IEM than I suspect it is for some.  I'd trade that last 10% in sound quality for excellent ergonomics- it's why I'm still content with my UM3X. 

I myself go for a more mid-focused sound signature, so I would likely come away with the same impression.   

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #33 of 81
... I've always wondered about the ergonomics of some of the "universal customs" types that you're describing and you seem to confirm some of my fears...

i wouldn't jump to fit conclusions from one set of impressions. The are multiple types of universal acrylic molds around, with varying nozzle sizes, angles (and shapes), helix lock/no helix lock (e.g. I tried several UM molds (I like one a lot, hated one and one was ok), there are at least 3 rhapsodio ones now (didn't like rdb+v1 fit, thought rdb+2v1 was very good fit wise with comply tips, and now the have a new smaller RDB+ mold), and probably 1-3 heir ones).

Depending on your ear shape (both the outer ear and ear canal), tips used and universal custom mold type it may be more comfortable and offer a more secure fit than what you're used to with westone or shure universals, or possibly even H-200 type 'direct' insertion universals (or it could be bad. but universals are kinda like that too)

finally different molds/tips/fit = different degrees of isolation.

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #35 of 81
I'll be sharing my impressions after it gets to me since they should be fully burned in. I will also be setting up a K2 amp tour soon as well and Rhapsodio has been kind enough to provide me with one to send around. If you are interested, PM me.

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #36 of 81
Quote:
I've talked to the 2v1 currently circulating around Australia will make an unscheduled stop at the Melbourne meet for everyone to try. Could the person currently holding them ensure they make it there by the 28th of June with a bit of time to spare
smily_headphones1.gif

Will do. I forgot to ask, who should I or mrAdrian actually send them to to make sure they make it to the meet?

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #37 of 81
Will do. I forgot to ask, who should I or mrAdrian actually send them to to make sure they make it to the meet?
Syvr told me that rhapsodio may he sending the other version instead because if the negative impressions.

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #39 of 81
Quote:
the latest is - the 2v1 tour will continue via the Melb meet, and the new RDB+v1 (smaller mold) will probably get sent around as well (anyone confused yet
biggrin.gif
?)

So now we have 2? So will I be able to bring both to the meet? I thought that Rhapsodio were sending the new version and getting the old one back? 

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #40 of 81
the latest is - the 2v1 tour will continue via the Melb meet, and the new RDB+v1 (smaller mold) will probably get sent around as well (anyone confused yet :D ?)

Hi svyr,

So the 2v1 needs to be in Melbourne by the 28th of this month (June).

My question is: How much longer did a_recording have with the 2v1? I'm trying to work out if it's worth sending to me until the 28th.

If you guys can work it out that would be helpful, as I have no idea if MrAdrain wants it back or a_recording is sending it on to the next member.

etc etc..... etc.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #41 of 81
So now we have 2? So will I be able to bring both to the meet?  
at this stage i think the meet will have both present.

>If you guys can work it out that would be helpful, as I have no idea if MrAdrain wants it back or a_recording is sending it on to the next member.

I suggest you 3 have a quick PM chat re mrAdrian and exams, and how long a_recordings needs the for to complete his review and whether it's enough time to send them to you first H20, or whether it'll have to be after the meet. Depending on the length of time/if you use express post....etc.

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #42 of 81
Buzzing mrAdrian about it as we speak, but I suspect that he will not really need to have them back before I send them onto H20 or the meet. I've sent PM's to all the interested parties, and rest easy that the IEMs will arrive where they need to be by the 28th :)

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #43 of 81
Sorry guys my bad!

Can I have one more day with it to form more impressions for the Shozy amp vs my TTVJ... I just happened to have other things with Uni/work the past 2 weeks... I'll include a set of eartips (that actually works) with the RDB when I send them to H2O!

ps. H2O can I please have your contacts, again :) via a pm obviously

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #45 of 81
I have 2v1 and Shozy amp with me atm, arrived about an hour ago. I'll be sure to make the kit reach Lin before the meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back