[Rhapsodio] K Series - K0 - Portable Amp Tour (Australian Members)
Jun 16, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #46 of 69
so who's next and when? (could send it somewhere, could melb meet it)

I've been using it for a few days and the impressions are mixed.

Circuit wise it looks like a very simple opamp based amp, with about 20-30 parts in total.

(ad8656 opamps + caps and resistors network (cmoy?)?. The circuit near the battery probably relates to charging :wink: )

Let's start with the bad:

Problematically, the output socket barely holds the plug at all. (the headphone out socket).
Not sure what's going on there but I suppose it's a demo unit, so it's seen a bit of misuse?

K0 seems to change the sound of merlins in a very unfavourable way:
a) they start having nearly no sub or mid bass (and develop and upper bass hump)
b) and the mids start sounding muddy and the treble loses refinement and crisp.

Maybe it's an amp output impedance mismatch or something? (shouldn't be the former see post #4)
I much prefer the merlins out of Clip+

I can't say I like it with GMP450 pro, but those aren't easy to drive with 300 ohm drivers.
The full size headphones became boomy with an upper+mid-bass hump, and mid-centric in a mixed way (somewhat pleasant but metalic sounding). I think that might be fairly characteristic of trying to drive those types of cans with IEM oriented amps :wink: so it's not really a fair test. That said - it drove it plenty loud...

Now the good

a) It sounds pretty good with the H-200.
I find the mids sound a bit more fun with the amp vs clip+. (and the bass content or flavour doesn't really change although perhaps there's a bit of a upper-mid bass bloat from it too).
I thought it augmented the H200 in such a way that might also make it sound more spacious. (probably to do with how the mids/upper mids change)

b) the vol pot looks pretty good. Usually cheaper amps have a problem there.

c) unlike shozzy's px-m1, K0 can charge and play without distortion.

d) it's not a bad looking box and charges from usb.

unsure: battery life - haven't run it continously while monitoring it and left it on in my pocket a couple of times.

overall:
wait for more impressions and maybe the bass version or K2 (=k2?)(I wonder if K2 is an extra bass boost circuit + different opamp version lol).

Can I recommend it? Maybe for H-200. How about for $70? probably not.

How about for $35 - maybe if you get positive impressions for the headphones you want to drive?

I'm a bit unsure if simple amps are stable and have even performance with a variety of headphones or even IEMs :) ) there're a few simple cheap amps around from $35-80 (and probably a few more outside ebay) quite a few look like black boxes with a handful of opamps, caps and resistors :) (they probably cost from 10-20 to make :D?) . I'm not in a good position to judge their relative value

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #47 of 69
Thanks svyr, very nice work.

The next member to take the amp is AyeCee.

Once you've had the amp for one week (or finished with it) please contact them and arrange the sending.

http://www.head-fi.org/u/279632/ayecee

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #48 of 69
Hi, sorry for not being as active and alert as I should have been. I've been busy lately with preparing for HSC trials and other exams. I feel that I would be better suited to demoing the amp during holidays, which begin on the 28th. So just drop me down on the list by 1. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #49 of 69
Looks like I'm next in line. Just sent a PM to svyr.
I will make a sound comparison between my Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII.
Headphones I will be using are my LFF Paradox, Etymotic ER4S, and Koss PortaPro.

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #51 of 69
Received the amp today. All my testing was done with an iPhone 4 and Fiio L9 cable.

Volume: A lot louder than my iPhone 4's headphone out but a lot softer than my Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII on high gain. When listening to a loud pop song with Paradox headphones, I listen to my iPhone 4 headphone out on almost max volume. With the K0 I listen at a little over half volume and with the UHA-6S.MKII I listen at a little over quarter volume.

Sound: The sound differences between the iPhone 4 headphone out, K0, and UHA-6S.MKII are very small. When used in typical portable situations I wouldn't be discern much of a difference at all. I have to be in a dead silent room and listen very attentively to try to nit pick small details. In fact the differences are so small I could not reliably tell all 3 sources apart when my room mate helped me perform a blind test. In non-blind comparisons I mainly thought that the UHA-6S.MKII has improved soundstage.

Volume knob: The smooth finish of the K0's volume knob makes it hard to grip. The volume knob should have a rough surface similar to my UHA-6S.MKII. There is no channel imbalance when I turn down the volume, that's a big plus. The lower 1/8th of my UHA-6S.MKII volume is unusable because of channel balance.

Weight: I have no weighing scale but I can tell that the K0 is feathery light in comparison to the UHA-6S.MKII.

I'm not sure what else to write about. Any questions before I pass the amp on to the next person?

Edit: Spelling mistakes.

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #52 of 69
Ok Zowki, thanks, well done.. The next member to take the amp is AyeCee.

If you contact them and arrange arrange to pass the amp on that would be great! (if there's any problems let me know)

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #53 of 69
Ok Zowki, thanks, well done.. The next member to take the amp is AyeCee.

If you contact them and arrange arrange to pass the amp on that would be great! (if there's any problems let me know)

Ayecee said he is too busy at the moment to review the amp.

I have contacted gikigill, the next user in the list.

Edit: The K0 amp is on the way to gikigill.

Jul 30, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #57 of 69
Quote:
Gikigill told me that he already received the amp. It should still be with him.

Ah, sweet.

Thanks for the update!

He must be having a blast, haha..

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #59 of 69
Quote:
I emailed the next person but he/she hasn't replied back.

Should I skip him and go to the next as its been a week since he has been PMed.

Hmm...I'd say shoot AyeCee an email and see if he's up for the K0 now.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back