[Rhapsodio] K Series - K0 - Portable Amp Tour (Australian Members)
Mar 31, 2013 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

H20Fidelity

Headphoneus Supremus
Rhapsodio sent me an amp for review recently they currently have on promotion.

I thought what better chance to get some feedback from other members besides myself and have some fun. I'm looking for established members in Australia to take the amp for one week each then write up their thoughts in a few simple paragraphs. The amp from K Seres is simply called K0, it's an entry level amp that offers high performance in a simple package. From the time I've spent K0 has decent separation, speed and plenty enough power, charges via USB with no detected hiss and has a linear regulator.

Here are some specs from Rhapsodio.

20x50x60mm
Siemens and elna bp capacitors,
+/- 220ma current output
2.7 nV/√Hz @ f = 10 kHz

K0 can run for 30 - 40 hours on a single charge, during my testing I achieved 27 hours straight at normal listening level.

I already have three members ready to go, I'm probably open for a total of eight (8) if there's enough interest. If you would like to take the amp for one week and try it with some of your IEM / Sources / Headphones, please contact me via PM. Members who try the amp will write their short impressions in this thread over the coming weeks.

Purchasing

If you would like to buy the amp outright at the current promotion price of $35.00 please contact Rhapsodio on this email.

Email:
rhapsodiohk@gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/rhapsodiohk?fref=ts

Cheers,
H20

Members Joining Tour (in order)

SkyBleu
MrAdrain
djvkool
svyr
zowki
AyeCee
gikigill
dryvadeum

Members Impressions.

SkyBleu: Link

mrAdrian: Link

svyr:Link

zowki: Link

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 69
Greetings, fellow Head-Fi'ers,

I've spent a good few hours with this amp now (at least 10 hours+ since receiving it yesterday morning), and I think it's a good time to give you all a little "first impressions" on this amp as it will only be with me for this week, before I send it off again.

WARNING: I will apologize in advance for the bad quality photos as these pictures below are taken with my phone, and that I'm not using audiophile terminologies for this first impressions. I'll make it clear now, that this first impression is from a non-audiophile's point of view.

Okay, to kick things off, I would like to thank H20Fidelity for letting me be the first to experiment with this amp, it has been my pleasure. :)

To those who had read my other first impression, I tend to keep things brief, and to the point as to how I see it, and I'll be referencing this amp to the C&C BH and FiiO E11.

Build Quality

The first thing I had noticed when I opened the packaging, was that it was very light and compact, it defined "simplicity" in terms of an amps' looks. Very firm in the hands, and has a nice solid structure. Although, the only thing that seemed somewhat flimsy about it, was just the switch at the back of the amp, but I guess it was alright, as the amp is just a budget amp. I have yet to open it up and view what's inside, as I'm not all that great with the tools and don't really know what I'm looking for inside this little box, so I'll leave that for the pros.

When compared to the BH and E11, it has a much smaller footprint than the other two, and has quite a solid build. Made of what seems like the same metal that was used in the production of the BH amp - strong and solid. Light as the E11, but as tank as the C&C BH.

and a show of how big the K0 really is when put with an iPod Shuffle 4th Gen.

Sound Quality

What I noticed about the sound quality, was that it was really vibrant, and has a good rhythm, which made it all that more enjoyable. It's unique in what it does. The ability to distinguish between instruments in this amp was very easy and noticeable, and as of the separation, it was satisfactory - pretty decent. The bass was very meaty, and provided the amp with a nice warm touch - a plus. Although it has quite a few ups, it also has it's down; and that would be it's detailing.The K0 required just a touch more detailing to make an improvement in that area. It has good depth, and a nice and clean vibe. So overall, the sound is quite impressive, not all that bad for the price and size of the unit!

Comparisons

When compared to the C&C BH (With all switches off to make things fair), it wasn't far off from the BH. It was actually somewhat almost equal to the BH. Where it was let down, was it's detail and clarity. Besides that, it did have some advantages over the BH such as how it has a more forward mid range, but other than that, it performed exceptionally well when put up against a $100 amp, the BH. The BH only just takes the lead here, because non of switches were used in this comparison, but if those switches were allowed, then the BH would take the lead easily. In addition, it did make me feel impressed with what it could put out.

When compared to the FiiO E11, it does perform overall, better than the E11 in most aspects - price, power, battery life, separation, good vibe, structure, instrument separation. The only thing that it doesn't beat the E11 in, is the extra features you get, such as the EQ switch, and High Gain/Low Gain switch. (I don't mean to be so harsh on the E11, sorry to the fanboyz out there! Just saying it as it is to me).

Size Comparison and Pairings with my players.

The K0 and the C3.

The K0 and the iPod Nano 3rd Gen

Summary
Over the short period of time that I had spent with this amp, I had much enjoyed it's presence and it's function with my devices. Very compact and portable, and it should not be underestimated for what it is. Ultimately, I'm very satisfied with this product from Rhapsodio, and for it's price, I think it should be a good quality budget amp for any Head-Fi'er out there to consider. It's what a "bang for the buck" amp should be like.

ALSO, Rhapsodio had mentioned to me that they will be releasing a revised version of the K0 (the one I reviewed/first impression-ed was the old model) in around a week or two from now (not confirmed). The new one will be featuring a "linear regulator" (I have no clue what it is).

Anyways, Rhapsodio sent me two pictures of the new product, so I'll share it with you guys.

Back

Front

Over and Out,
SkyBleu-

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 69
interesting :)

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 69
By the specs quote soup it must be using AD8656 (pet peeve with entry level amps quoting random opamp specs) (I'm sure we all want to see the opamp input noise voltage density (hands up if you know what it is :D ) without assumptions and possibly in a different circuit quoted analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD8655_8656.pdf along with unspecified max current output (at least the opamp tech specs list some of the assumptions)
and what's this '20v scaling circuit inside' thing above? The max stated supply voltage is apparently 6v.

In any case, some people think that opamp sounds good (in errr some circuits), and it seems to be high current and low output impedance - good for driving low impedance HP directly, so probably win for IEMs and nice small size.

Does the amp have a built-in battery and get recharged via USB? If so, please count me in.

>. From the time I've spent K0 has decent separation, speed and plenty enough power

foooor...IEMs?

Did Rhapsodio happen to mention what they intend to sell it for :D ?

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #5 of 69
I can only quote what Charles has told me about the 20v upscaling, there might be a typo or an error. 20v does sound a bit much, you're welcome to email him and ask. :wink: Yes, I have only used the amp with IEM's and there's was sufficient power and the battery is indeed rechargable via USB.

More or less my OP is not a review, just an introduction, the rest is for the members.

Welcome aboard svyr.

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #6 of 69
I can only quote what Charles has told me about the 20v upscaling, there might be a typo or an error. 20v does sound a bit much, you're welcome to email him and ask. :wink: Yes, I have only used the amp with IEM's and there's was sufficient power and the battery is indeed rechargable via USB.

More or less my OP is not a review, just an introduction, the rest is for the members.

Welcome aboard svyr.

Thanks H20.
:D

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 69
what's this '20v scaling circuit inside' thing above? The max stated supply voltage is apparently 6v.

Charles has confirmed there was a mistake with the 20v upscaling, K0 does not support voltage upscaling, K1 does which is 9v.

The OP has been edited to reflex this, I hope that clears things up. The current promotion price has been added also, but will only last a limited time.

All tour members to date have been added at the bottom of the OP, in order of their turn to demo the amp.

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #12 of 69
Quote:
Mini impression/review of the K0 is out above in the second post.

Enjoy..No hate!

haha it's all that I could do in terms of a first impression/review.

hm???

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #13 of 69
Gintaras,

SkyBleu reserved the second post for his impressions when the thread started (you can find them there)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/657929/rhapsodio-k-series-k0-portable-amp-tour-australian-members#post_9315297

Might I say, an excellent little write up there SkyBleu, I'm glad you're enjoying the amp, as I said it's rather capable. :wink:

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #14 of 69
Quote:
Gintaras,

SkyBleu reserved the second post for his impressions when the thread started (you can find them there)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/657929/rhapsodio-k-series-k0-portable-amp-tour-australian-members#post_9315297

Might I say, an excellent little write up there SkyBleu, I'm glad you're enjoying the amp, as I said it's rather capable.
wink.gif

Thank you, H20Fidelity:) you weren't wrong when you said it was a worthy amp! 
etysmile.gif

Quote:

Gintaras, what H20Fidelity said above, it's the second post to the top:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back