RHA - T20 - Impressions, Reviews, and questions
Sep 23, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #391 of 1,127
  My review is finally up! http://www.head-fi.org/products/rha-t20/reviews/14071

Its my first ever! Do give me feedbacks! Taking this opportunity to learn as well. Also, once again, thanks to RHA for giving me this opportunity and for being so patient with me.

Most accurate review so far, pretty close to my impression. Thanks!

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #392 of 1,127
Sep 23, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #394 of 1,127
Paul!

FTFY

Better phrasing! Thanks Paul!

True that it seems better phrased. Thanks for the compliment anyway @earfonia.

How did you find it paul? Would love some feedback from you too!
beerchug.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #395 of 1,127
  Paul!

True that it seems better phrased. Thanks for the compliment anyway @earfonia.
How did you find it paul? Would love some feedback from you too!
beerchug.gif

You mean your review, or my opinion of the T20?

I thought your review was really good - is it really your first?  Agree on a lot of what you wrote - but I guess the difference is that while I know you didn't like them, I thought they were a vast improvement over the T10i - so credit where it is due.  I agree with the bass still being too accentuated - and it is a pity that the filters don't change this (they only alter the mid-range, and slightly change the highs).  For my personal tastes, they still have too much bass, but I can see a lot of people liking the signature. I personally didn't find the bass overly bloated either - and I think they've made a nice change in elevating the sub-bass rather than the mid-bass - there is just ultimately too much of it. I think our differences in grading the bass probably come down to what we are used to.  I see you have the SE846 and Adel A12 - so your expectation foir quality of bass may very well be quite a lot higher than mine.  I have the U6 - and as a reference for bass, the T20 would fall extremely short.  But when you put it against IEMs in similar price categories (Atone200, Fidue A81, A83, Trinity Delta etc), then it doesn't fare quite so bad - if that makes sense.

I personally found the mids lean rather than lush and warm - but that is my personal preference (clarity over lushness).  I think the measurements also show a little more upper mid-range than lower mid-range.  They got the clarity nailed quite nicely.

Some of this may have been the difference in the tips we used, and also possibly source differences.

Love the quality of your pics, and the review itself is well reasoned and easy to read.  Thumbs up from me.  You definitely should write more 
smile.gif

In case you didn't see it - mine was here http://www.head-fi.org/products/rha-t20/reviews/13957.  As you'll see we agree on a lot of points.

IF you do start reviewing a lot more, and want to get into the measurement side as well - I should have a review coming out in a couple of weeks about the system I use (Veritas and ARTA).  It's really affordable.

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #396 of 1,127

You mean your review, or my opinion of the T20?

I thought your review was really good - is it really your first?  Agree on a lot of what you wrote - but I guess the difference is that while I know you didn't like them, I thought they were a vast improvement over the T10i - so credit where it is due.  I agree with the bass still being too accentuated - and it is a pity that the filters don't change this (they only alter the mid-range, and slightly change the highs).  For my personal tastes, they still have too much bass, but I can see a lot of people liking the signature. I personally didn't find the bass overly bloated either - and I think they've made a nice change in elevating the sub-bass rather than the mid-bass - there is just ultimately too much of it. I think our differences in grading the bass probably come down to what we are used to.  I see you have the SE846 and Adel A12 - so your expectation foir quality of bass may very well be quite a lot higher than mine.  I have the U6 - and as a reference for bass, the T20 would fall extremely short.  But when you put it against IEMs in similar price categories (Atone200, Fidue A81, A83, Trinity Delta etc), then it doesn't fare quite so bad - if that makes sense.

I personally found the mids lean rather than lush and warm - but that is my personal preference (clarity over lushness).  I think the measurements also show a little more upper mid-range than lower mid-range.  They got the clarity nailed quite nicely.

Some of this may have been the difference in the tips we used, and also possibly source differences.

Love the quality of your pics, and the review itself is well reasoned and easy to read.  Thumbs up from me.  You definitely should write more 
smile.gif

In case you didn't see it - mine was here http://www.head-fi.org/products/rha-t20/reviews/13957.  As you'll see we agree on a lot of points.

IF you do start reviewing a lot more, and want to get into the measurement side as well - I should have a review coming out in a couple of weeks about the system I use (Veritas and ARTA).  It's really affordable.

Thanks! 

I actually did have a really quick audition of the T10i, and I will agree with you that it really is a vast improvement over the T10i. Didn't mention this in the review coz the audition was real short. 
beyersmile.png

I found the bass just so slightly bloated. Which as you mentioned, could be due to there being too much sub-bass as well, leading to me finding it lacking some subtle details. Mids though, I could be influenced by the bass and felt it made the mids abit warm. Could be just the way we hear and interpret things differently I guess. I just saw your review. I tried to not look at reviews of the T20 while I was writing mine. You're review is real good, and you really went into the specifics! Nice that you mentioned specific tracks, its something I'll take note of for future reviews. 
beerchug.gif

I'll be waiting for your Veritas review!

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #397 of 1,127

That's great Paul!
Looking forward to that!

Sorry OOT for a while,
I was considering Vibro Veritas as well, but my concern is the Vibro Veritas is relying on external microphone amplifier, either PC, external sound card, etc, which quality are not consistently matching one to another. So my concern is result from Vibro Veritas will be different by using different microphone amplifier. But I might be wrong. Would like to hear more from Veritas users.

Ok, back to topic 
smile.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #398 of 1,127
Secret is for like-minded reviewers to use a common, cheap, essentially flat and clean device (Vince and I are using the same device) and then see how consistent the results are.  Anyway - probably best left for a different thread.  Am looking to start one (hopefully with Alex's and Vince's help) - dedicated to serious hobby reviewers - who are open to discussing techniques etc.  Just need some spare time - which I'm a bit short of for now 
wink.gif
.  Will definitely let you know when it's set up.

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #399 of 1,127
With measurements in general, it is important to have a linearly measuring microphone input and a linearly measuring output to get accurate results.
When my Veritas arrives, I might include instructions on how to be sure that input and output are metrologically flat. I've written a German tutorial on how to see if the metrological equipment is proper for impedance response and frequency deviation measurements, but testing the equipment's suitableness for frequency response measurements is basically the same. It is no rocket science and quite easy to find out.

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #400 of 1,127
  Secret is for like-minded reviewers to use a common, cheap, essentially flat and clean device (Vince and I are using the same device) and then see how consistent the results are.  Anyway - probably best left for a different thread.  Am looking to start one (hopefully with Alex's and Vince's help) - dedicated to serious hobby reviewers - who are open to discussing techniques etc.  Just need some spare time - which I'm a bit short of for now 
wink.gif
.  Will definitely let you know when it's set up.

Thank you! 
Please @ me when you start the thread.
beerchug.gif

Sep 24, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #402 of 1,127

Users who are viewing this thread

Back