Revisiting X-Fi DAC and LD2++
Apr 15, 2007 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

feifan

1000+ Head-Fier
With talk of dedicated DACs in the Little Dot 2+ threads, I decided to revisit the DAC in the X-Fi Elite Pro PCI card. Here's the lineup I'm futzing with:

Foobar2000 v0.9.4.2 > X-Fi Elite Pro PCI card > Y-cable > Little Dot 2++ > Black Dragon > GS1000

I decided on the 2++ to avoid the 2+'s tendency to arc. I also decided to use the X-Fi PCI card's 1/8" speaker out instead of the console's headphone out. The specs on the card have always impressed me. It has four Cirrus Logic CS4398 stereo DACs rated for 24 bit /192 kHz and a maximum dynamic range of 120 dB and THD+N of -107 dB. The DAC in the console's headphone out isn't as impressive, but it's not bad: Cirrus Logic CS4392, rated for 24 bit/192 kHz and a maximum dynamic range of 114 dB and THD+N of -100 dB.

For test music (voice & instrumental), I usually turn to Faye Wong's "Enkindled Beauty" (cover of Lisa Fischer's "So Intense") and "Cute Eyes" (cover of S.O.S. Band's "Broken Promises"), both from her 1993 album "No Regrets"; and Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" ("Time Out" album, 1997). All have been ripped to computer in lossless WAV with a 96 kHz sample rate, 24 bits per sample, 4608 kbps.

Damn, this setup is sweet! The dynamics are clear, accurate, and natural. The soundstage is extremely wide and deep, yet instruments and voice are up front when needed. Bass is tight, punchy, almost tactile without a hint of flatulence. Transitions are quick without being bright. Mids are liquid and warm without sappiness.

I inserted the HD650 (w/ Cardas) in the lineup, and it had a noticeable nod in detail and accuracy but a narrower soundstage. The K701 came alive in this setup, approaching the Grados in overall performance, especially in the mids. Bass was a bit more laidback, but the overall effect was ease of listening, naturalness. The GS1000, however, was by far the most musical, warm and rich across the full sound spectrum.

Question for those with DACs: Would a dedicated DAC make a significant difference in a lineup like this? Which DAC would you suggest in the mid- to high-end?

Apr 16, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it would make a difference if the DAC is very good. by that i mean one with a discrete analog output, which tends to be quite expensive unless you mod the Zhaolu.

I just clicked on the link in your signature http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229350 and read your thread re modding the X-Fi XtremeMusic. Fascinating stuff! Almost wish I had the XtremeMusic to mess with. Your info re the opamps in the Elite Pro also makes me appreciate it more: "The X-Fi Elite Pro uses the JRC NJM2114 opamp for the main, three JRC NJM2068 for the surrounds, and the even better CS4398 DAC, which is the same DAC used in the Lynx, E-MU 1820, Headroom MicroDAC, Musiland MD10, Zhaolu 2.5C and other high end DACs." Thanks.

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, in that thread some people modded their X-Fi Elite Pro with very good results. Definately worth doing!

I spent the last hour reviewing the entire thread. I also followed the links to the soldering 101 sites for folks like me who are amateurs. I'm impressed, but I'm not sure if I'd pursue the mods right now since I don't want to risk screwing up the card. I'm totally dependent on it. It sounds great as is, in the lineup I described above. My normal setup is digital out from the console to a HeadRoom DeskTop amp, with the X-Fi's DAC turned off in favor of the external Desktop's DAC. The purpose of this thread was simply to reaffirm the fact that the X-Fi Elite Pro's stock DAC is pretty good with a simple tube amp like the LD2++.

Having said that, however, I would definitely like to try the mods if I had a second Elite Pro card or when I get a new soundcard to replace this one. The directions and photos of the mods and parts are so specific that I think I could pull it off. My hat's off to those who've tried the mods. They have a lot more courage than I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back