Revise my recommendation
Apr 14, 2009 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sisenor

500+ Head-Fier
So I'm feeling a little guilty because I gave my dad a bad recommendation as I've been out of the loop with IEMs for a while.

His criteria were that they be comfortable with good isolation(for plane trips) and reasonably priced with sound quality not a top priority. Based on what I knew--which was from a couple years ago when I was in the market for an IEM--I told him to go with the UM1. I thought they met all his criteria.

So, he received them and is having a problem with microphonics while he's walking with them. I didn't even think to consider microphonics because I thought that was a rare issue. Also, I don't think they isolate quite enough for him.

Can you guys suggest an IEM (preferably close in price to the UM1) which is a better fit for him?

Thanks

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 15
Before he gets rid of them have him loop the cables over hit ears (if they don't already work that way). I find if I loop the cables of an IEM over my ears I eliminate most microphonics.

Apr 14, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before he gets rid of them have him loop the cables over hit ears (if they don't already work that way). I find if I loop the cables of an IEM over my ears I eliminate most microphonics.

Yeah he was already doing that
frown.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 15
Ahhh OK, I was afraid you were going to say that. I would maybe look at the low end Shure Models, either the ones with a balanced driver or the new 115 model that uses a dynamic driver (little bit better bass response). Or for $50 check out the NE-7M which has gotten great reviews here (I own this pair myself and like it alot). The other choice if you want to stick with a balanced speaker is the UHP336 by Altec Lansing which is a rebadged UE Super.fi 3 phones selling on Amazon right now for a mere $40 which is a fraction of what the UE brand sells them for.

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisenor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah he was already doing that
frown.gif

...but did he slide the cable slider all the way up?

Apr 14, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhh OK, I was afraid you were going to say that. I would maybe look at the low end Shure Models, either the ones with a balanced driver or the new 115 model that uses a dynamic driver (little bit better bass response). Or for $50 check out the NE-7M which has gotten great reviews here (I own this pair myself and like it alot). The other choice if you want to stick with a balanced speaker is the UHP336 by Altec Lansing which is a rebadged UE Super.fi 3 phones selling on Amazon right now for a mere $40 which is a fraction of what the UE brand sells them for.

We may check out the Shures. Anybody know for sure if they have less of an issue with microphonics? How about isolation and comfort?

The UE's, on the other hand, don't fit the bill when it comes to comfort. I have some super.fi 5 Pros and can only leave them in for maybe 2 hours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but did he slide the cable slider all the way up?

I'll suggest that to him. Do you mean to have it all the way up to your chin?

Apr 14, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 15
If he has microphonic problems with Westone cables, then it's better than he turns away from IEMs. Keeping it under a t-shirt or jacket can help, as well as doing what's been suggested by clieos.

Apr 14, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If he has microphonic problems with Westone cables, then it's better than he turns away from IEMs. Keeping it under a t-shirt or jacket can help, as well as doing what's been suggested by clieos.

You get that problem with UM1/UM2 but not W3...so need to find something with a similar cable to the last one.

Apr 14, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 15
Maybe using a clip can help against microphonics?

Apr 14, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have no problem at all with microphonics w/ my sf5p's so I know it's not a problem endemic to all IEMs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You get that problem with UM1/UM2 but not W3...so need to find something with a similar cable to the last one.

Yeah....anybody have lower end Shure's that can comment?

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

I'll suggest that to him. Do you mean to have it all the way up to your chin?

Yes, all the way up to the chin.

Quote:

Yeah....anybody have lower end Shure's that can comment?

My experience with Shure has taught me that cable isn't really their strong point, regardless of whether it is high end or low end.

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

So, he received them and is having a problem with microphonics while he's walking with them. I didn't even think to consider microphonics because I thought that was a rare issue. Also, I don't think they isolate quite enough for him.

Does he hear is footsteps booming or the cable rubbing against something?

If it is the first one then most IEMs will do that.

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #13 of 15
The NE-7M have microphonics but if I put the cable over my ears and use the cable slider up to my chin I barely notice microphonics (as compared to IEM's like my JBL Ref 220's which just killed me). Anyone else have serious microphonics issues with the NE-7M's?

Edit: I don't get much in the way of the footstep sounds with my NE's either.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #15 of 15
You might consider the Audeo Silicon Ear Guides that help to guide them over the ear. They basically nullify microphonics for me. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back