[Reviewers Wanted] World Tour for Cayin i5 - Android based AK4490 DAP with WiFi, Dropbox and Google Play
Dec 17, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #226 of 256
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 17, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #228 of 256
The i5 is a interesting player. I consider it to be a cost effective alternative to the FiioX7. 

It's pretty damn powerful and seems to set up better for full size and power hungry headphones. Still, it's adequate with IEMs.

We have a lot of request to compare i5 to X7, DP-X1, XDP-100r when we start the tour, but so far the published review/impression has yet to involve a user comparison of these Android DAPs, should be an interesting view if you can put up a detail opinion later, really looking forward to that.

Interesting. The i5 will be arriving with me on Monday, I look forward to hearing it with my HD600. The HD600 is a headphone that needs juice to sing. There are a lot of people who think that it is singing when it is only humming.

Indeed, the HD600 will sound very doubt when not driven properly, the HD700 is more DAP-friendly. I won't put too much hope on this pair, I think its more a benchmark test as the HD600/HD650 probably has the larger ownership base in the sub-$500 category, so a quick test with the HD600 will let everyone know where i5 stands in terms of driving and handling power.

High gain will do a good job.

It might not "sing" but it will do more than "hum"

I have the same feeling too, my description will be "listenable but not necessarily enjoyable". :D

Dec 17, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #229 of 256
I will finish up my evaluation and hopefully a review this weekend and then send this pair to the final destination.

Very good, looking forwards to that. :beerchug:

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #230 of 256
Review has been posted in the Head Gear area.  Overall I liked the sound very much, but I think the firmware still has some issues that need to be resolved.  It is a bit too difficult to get to the music menus, I had some music stutters and a crash.  But I rated the sound very highly.

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #231 of 256
Review has been posted in the Head Gear area.  Overall I liked the sound very much, but I think the firmware still has some issues that need to be resolved.  It is a bit too difficult to get to the music menus, I had some music stutters and a crash.  But I rated the sound very highly.

indeed, and the streaming ability is not optimized, maybe cpu can't cope or app not meant for such versions of toned down android

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #234 of 256
And here are my impressions of the i5. Two thumbs up from me!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/802382/cayin-i5-lossless-android-dap-with-akm4490-dac-supporting-32-384-pcm-64-128-dsd/2505#post_13166192

you need to put it into the head gear section too, part of the deal

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #235 of 256

you need to put it into the head gear section too, part of the deal

Technically it wasn't required to write a Headgear section review:
By signing up to the tour, you are agreed to post a formal review and/or some form of impressions within 14 days after your audition period, and Cayin can use your review of the i5 DAP for promotional purposes.

and from the tour PM messages
Write up a review or short impression for i5 -- it doesn't necessary be a very length or comprehensive report, suit your style and resource, even a short paragraph is most appreciated.

but Andy did request for me to put it in the Headgear section, as to make it easier to find, and I did so here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/cayin-i5/reviews/17803

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #236 of 256
I've yet to share my impressions! Life got crazy for a bit, yep - I'm late - however I will have them up this week. Looking forward to sharing my experience with you all.

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #237 of 256
I had a lovely time with the i5. I had some niggles about OS implementation and I couldn't get USB OTG to work for me, but after burn-in (I had a fresh unit) the warmth stopped being overwhelming and was appropriately musical with good detail. It isn't a reference DAP, nor did @Andykong intend it to be, but it is detailed enough to satisfy anyone who isn't a total detail freak.

My review is mostly written up, and will go live in not too much time. I'll probably be holding off until the i5 isn't plastered all over the front page. Good on ya, @miceblue. I haven't compared with Mojo, so don't ask. Every time I post a DAP or DAC review somebody asks me if I compared it to the Mojo. It's annoying. I don't have a Mojo. Why do people have to keep rubbing it in? 
triportsad.gif

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #238 of 256
Yeah, the Mojo seems to be a common device used for comparisons since it appears to be the best thing since sliced bread among the personal audio community. I like it, but not enough to buy one myself.

I have a USB C connection on my smartphone, so getting any external DAC connected to it will be a pain in the butt to use, and that's part of the reason I was eyeing the i5 since it's a separate dedicated audio device.

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #239 of 256
I like the i5 for what it is, I'd make a few changes though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back