REVIEW: Yuin PK1, the earbuds that can
Nov 4, 2006 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jdimitri

Headphoneus Supremus
This is a continuation to my first impression, after about 30 hours of burn in using pink/white noise, which I think is quite sufficient

Ordering:
All the information is provided here: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=203373
Pretty easy really, after exchanging e-mails with the guy i paid using paypal and it arrived in a week and a bit

Looks & what’s in the box:
Photo-0089.jpg

Photo-0090.jpg

Not really much to say here, it looks very much like a standard earbud. It comes with a nice looking box, cylinder plastic case and a manual. The only thing that’s a bit different is that it comes with foamies that has holes on both sides- more on this later.
Oh and it comes with a chinese decoration thing as a bonus (?)
Photo-0091.jpg

Comfort:
Very good for me, it's smaller than the ipod earbuds and fits my ears better than the ibuds. Can't say if it's going to be the same for other people though. I'd say if earbuds usually work for you, these should as well.

Sound: Compared to UM2, MX550, DT990, B&O A8, KSC75, ibuds (and other cans I’ve owned- from memory obviously)

Source: Straight out of the 5G ipod- no EQ, 89db on mp3gain if that counts for anything and out of Njoe Tjoeb 4000- great headphone out

Bass: They first thing I noticed was the bass. It was a defined textured sound instead of the usual earbud “doof doof” sound. And what’s more is unlike IEM’s bass (except maybe super.fi EB), you can feel the impact instead of just hearing it.. Definitely more bass than MX550, but not quite as much as DT990's.

Mids:
It’s a bit forward.. It sounds fuller, much fuller compared to MX550. Compared to DT990, it’s quite obvious that the mids are quite a bit more forward. It’s now as ‘sweet’ sounding as DT990’s mids though.

Highs:
This is where it gets a bit odd.. It sparkles but isn’t fatiguing or sibilant. Maybe there’s a bit of a decay there, but all in all, it’s quite enjoyable. I’d say it’s somewhere between the dark UM2’s treble and bright DT990’s treble..

Of course what will matter the most is how it will sound with your music. I’ll review it through different genres and what the PK1 sounds like while listening to them compared to other headphones.

1st: Inger Marie Gundersen- Make this Moment
This album is currently one of my favourite, it’s a jazz female vocal album on the slow side. The forward mids is apparent in this cd. It sounds very very nice, and sweet. PK1 extracted most of the details in this album, I wouldn't noticed any loss of details if i didn't compare it to the DT990. UM2 on the other hand, sounds a bit dark and hides much more details (eg sound of lips and instrument’s details).

2nd: Miles Davis- Kind of Blue
An album that most if not all jazz fans know about, so I won’t go into details. So What sounds buttery smooth, with all the instruments sounding like they should. Switching back to DT990, it was appearant that the mids on the PK1 was forward, but once i settled back into the sound of DT990, the more laid back sound took me in again. On this album, it's a matter of taste.

3rd: Radiohead- The Bends
My favourite Radiohead album, it contains ballads such as High and Dry as well as distorted guitars in songs such as Just and My Iron Lung. On this album and other non-amazingly mixed and recorded albums that i can say that i definitely prefer the PK1 to the rest of my headphones. It's fun. It doesn't reveal too much details. It's fun, makes me want to jump around and while i do it, it won't fall off unlike grados. Did i mention that it sounds fun?

4th: LCD Soundsystem- LCD Soundsystem
Bass is punchy and tight, the rest is very much like above, except I like it just as much on the DT990. It’s again different presentation than the DT990, both are good, just different.

5th: Sigur Ros- Takk..
Since they sound a bit like grados, but less congested and has a bit of soundstage, I put it up to listen to Sigur ros. Sigur ros’ albums were the reason that I had to move away from my SR225. Sure, it sounded great for rock, good for jazz but for ambient/alternative or whatever sigur ros is, it sounded like all the instruments are squished together. On PK1, from my memory it sounded better than grados, but still I prefer the DT990 by far on this album. Not sure why, but it’s probably because the DT990 are airier.

Overall sound: To put it in a nice easy way, PK1’s sound signature is a cross between DT990 and SR225’s sound. It’s DT990 with forward mids, less treble and a tiny bit less bass. It works well for all genres of music, from jazz to rock to electronic. A bit like the KSC75. Personally, I prefer its sound on almost everything to the UM2. It crushes MX550 and wins from A8 by a good margin. We don't even need to mention the ibuds.
Note that using the foamies with holes on each side, it makes it sound brighter than using the foamie with a hole on one side (the normal ones). I much prefer using the ones with 2 holes.

Cons: Obviously there’s no perfect headphone, and the level of overall enjoyment of the PK1 isn’t up to the level of DT990. Another is a very obvious one, it hardly isolates outside noise, stepping down from IEMs would depend on your need of isolation. Last, some people’s ears doesn’t work well with some earbuds..

Conclusion: I like these earbuds. A lot. It’s like a grado in a little earbuds (although not *quite* as good) with a little bit of soundstage thrown in. I think it has a very similar sound signature as a KSC75, although a bit more fun and detailed.
Unfortunately, earbuds has its limits. It hardly isolates any outside noises, so when I’m outside and comparing the UM2 and PK1, UM2 wins.. In a quiet environment though, no doubt i prefer the PK1, for all my music.

Also note that I still prefer my DT990 for most of my music, I’ll probably be bringing these along while i'm out with friends, where I can share music (ehem..
wink.gif
) and while listening to rock.

So, if you want earbuds to wear inside the house, or you can tolerate no isolation in earphones, I don’t think there’s a better choice.

Nov 4, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 16
One question. Did you use foamies with the PK's?

Nov 4, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolos
Hey jdimitri,

Thanks for the review. I thought you have to had an amp for this particular version of earbud.

Do you know what is up with the PK3?

Well, currently my supermini is in for repair.. Who knows how long that will take..
PK3, no idea.. It's going to be up for audition at today's meet though

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazer78
One question. Did you use foamies with the PK's?

Yep, the ones with holes on both sides

Nov 4th meet-goers.. Post your impressions of them when you get home!

Nov 4, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 16
Sounds like they are a good pair of phones. Too bad they are ugly.

Nov 5, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 16
If you use them with the foam pads, it might be helpful to do a simple mod similar to what they used to do for the Grado pads - a small hole in the center of the pad. IMHO It's a much more balanced phone after the mod. Your supermini is going to help a lot with the soundstage. I mean really, they DO have a decent soundstage!

Edit: Just noticed on the pictures you seem to have already done that!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #9 of 16
yea, i might try the dremel foam pad mini mod on my earphone pads and report back on how that goes.

A hole puncher works wonders for such a task =)

I only own the CM7Ti, but the seal provided by the foamies should remain while the hole will really allow the highs to sparkle again without any destructive interference from the fibres of the foamies.

One thing i did notice while using countless foamies of different thickness, shape and sizes was that thinner foamies allowed bass the flourish without dampening the highs too much.

Thicker foamies however created a slightly better seal and increased the bass quantity significantly, but at the cost of veiled highs. Thicker foamies do however make the music sound warmer (due to smoother mids and a kick to the low-end).

Nov 6, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 16
Usually, I'll agree with the form over function mentality, however for something that costs $130 I would be expecting a bit more. However on the bright side, at least this lowers the chances of your expensive 'phones to get stolen.

Nov 6, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 16
i listened to these for quite a bit at the NY meet over this past weekend. i only had the chance to try out the pk1 and pk2's since i don't like IEM's.

first i tried them out through a desktop amp and started with the pk1's. they sounded great. i had low expectations from them since they look somewhat cheap, but hey, don't judge a book by it's cover. though i wasn't able to try it out with my own music, the cd that was being played was good enough. i enjoyed the sound that came out of the pk1's alot. if they were priced a bit better, i'd definitely buy them and retire my ksc75's. i can't say i'm a basshead, but i do like my bass. the pk1's deliver slightly more than i like, but it's close enough. the mids and highs sounded rather good for an earbud and i don't expect any better.

as for the pk2's, they do not compare to the pk1's amped. it's way too bright for my liking. the highs were too high and it just hurt my head after listening to it for a few minutes. unamped, they are much better compared to the pk1's, so i guess it depends on whether you plan to go amped or unamped. i still enjoyed the sound of the pk1's unamped, but through an ipod shuffle, there wasn't enough juice to drive the pk1's to a volume that i'd enjoy.

Nov 6, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
So what do the people that went to the meet think about these?

I thought the pk2s were really impressive in their own right. They sound very good both unamped and amped, with none of the common lack of soundstage in earbuds. The pk1s sound like a more refined and liquid version of the pk2s, but both really do justice to the earbud genre.

I would say if you want something to use straight out of the ipod then get the pk2s. They wont disappoint, but I would say it may be worth it to get the pk1s since you have a good amp. You will certainly be using it more than iems and full cans, so it might help if you are traveling and need to hear things like announcements..

Nov 6, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
It comes wtih a Chinese decoration. So whare do you put it?
blink.gif

How big is it? If it's over an inch, isn't it a carrying case for the buds?

If it's about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch my wife tells me it's probably a cellphone charm. To be tied onto the cellphone's antenna. It reminds her of one she got one from a Korean students (they give her gifts as thanx all the time) that she has tied to her phone.

I heard the PK1 powered through my tube headamp @ the NY meet and I was amazed. Bass Bass Bass and good clarity all around. I didn't listen too long -- a mistake across the board I need to correct for any next meets I attend -- so won't offer too much +/- either way. Just on 1st impressions, as Bass and clarity struck me 1st off, also was -- comparing to my experience with my full-sized DT880 cans -- the soundstage was a nice wide but primarily as center, left and right and some front to back; not too much wrapping above and below the head ... i.e. it wasn't all encompasing around the head. Eh, but neither are the K340s I just bought compared to the DT880. Well buds are a sort of "point source" in the ear anyway as opposed to full sized cans that have sound throughout the ear's outer surface, so I guess a "helmet of sound " shouldn't be expected.
wink.gif

A great pair of buds. At the price, a luxury item. I haven't heard other Senn buds, but I wouldn't be surprised if people who have consider these PK1s at the top of the heap.

Nov 6, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #15 of 16
Judging by the images the ornament seems somewhere in between 2.5 and 3 inches in diameter. It wouldn't be a very pragmatic case.

I'm pretty interested in these, despite my initial thoughts of the product. They look to be very discreet and, judging by reaction, more than par.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back